Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

UrbanDweller

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 22, 2012
I'm trying to find out if people are happy with their retina display screens and who the manufacturer of the screen is:

So if you can run the following command in terminal it will tell you who the manufacturer is:
ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Following is an interpretation of the string that is returned telling you who the manufacturer is.
LPXXXX = LG
LSNXXXX = Samsung

Please post the manufacturer and if you are having any problems or are happy with your display.

Thanks

StuMcBill

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2011
Aberdeen, Scotland
I'm trying to find out if people are happy with their retina display screens and who the manufacturer of the screen is:

So if you can run the following command in terminal it will tell you who the manufacturer is:
ioreg -lw0 | grep \"EDID\" | sed "/[^<]*</s///" | xxd -p -r | strings -6

Following is an interpretation of the string that is returned telling you who the manufacturer is.
LPXXXX = LG
LSNXXXX = Samsung

Please post the manufacturer and if you are having any problems or are happy with your display.

Thanks

Samsung LSN here - very happy with my screen!

gentlefury

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I have samsung and its about the most amazing thing I've ever owned!

I am a big fan of samsung products...so I'm glad I won that lottery! I also have the samsung ssd so im happy :)

jterp7

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2011
of course my OB would be a LG screen lol.

edit: no issues

Last edited:

Queen6

macrumors G4
I have samsung and its about the most amazing thing I've ever owned!

I am a big fan of samsung products...so I'm glad I won that lottery! I also have the samsung ssd so im happy :)

When the Late 2011 Air was launched there was literally a frenzy over the display, due to there being two venders LG Phillips & Samsung. Some even were even posting here on MacRumors how they could return their new Air with an LG display, before the machine had even arrived. Ironically when AnandTech reviewed the display`s they recommended the LG by a hair surprise, surprise the hysteria evaporated instantly. If by any means LG display`s are inferior to Samsung`s Apple would never use them in the first place.

As a community dont allow baseless posts to sway your decisions on returning perfectly good systems in the hope of some visual nirvana. If your display has issue Apple will fix it or replace the machine, however if you are in false hope of receiving a superior display by getting a system with a differing vender, you are only wasting your time and many others and risk actually receiving a defective machine.

As the individual you must filter the content of the internet very carefully, everyone is a "Pro", everyone is the "expert", for the most part they are not, some are well informed, the majority are not. If you need help to make a significant purchase, or qualification on hardware, wait for a recognised source, not the kid with 10 minutes hands on in Best Buy ;)

Macloven

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2008
LG, no issues that I've noticed, not that I'm hyper-analyzing looking for issues. Looks great.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.