Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater

Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:09 PM   #1
tech324
macrumors regular

NFL on Apple TV

Anyone know if you can watch NFL on the apple TV? I would drop my boxes box in a flash if I could watch NFL through an Apple TV.
tech324 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 05:28 PM   #2
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech324 View Post
Anyone know if you can watch NFL on the apple TV? I would drop my boxes box in a flash if I could watch NFL through an Apple TV.
No. Currently can get the NFL package on the PS3, but no other device at this time.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2012, 06:01 PM   #3
Mike Valmike
macrumors 6502a

Not yet. ATV has the other major sports packages, so it stands to reason they may get at the very least the NFL Network channels at some point (NFLN, NFL News, and RedZone HD). If and when this happens, I'll be opening my wallet so fast you'll smell a trace of leather-pocket scent.

I don't think they CAN get NFL Sunday Ticket right now because of the other exclusive deals already in effect.
Mike Valmike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 02:20 AM   #4
miles01110
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech324 View Post
Not possible. The NFL is the stingiest US pro sports league about content control.
Old Mar 15, 2012, 03:43 AM   #5
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by miles01110 View Post
Not possible. The NFL is the stingiest US pro sports league about content control.
Sony did it with the PS3 with the Sunday Ticket. As long as DirecTV gets a slice of the pie since they have exclusive rights to that package, other devices may also offer that in the future. Whether Apple feels it wishes to give the bulk of the profit for that package to DirecTV is another story. Its like they would be on the other end of the stick with little control. Look for ROKU to get it before Apple. Either way, NFL streaming is not of high quality compared to satellite. Just ask PS3 owners who had the NFL streaming package about the problems. Streaming equipment still has a long way to go to provide nearly equal quality.

Last edited by darster; Mar 15, 2012 at 03:48 AM.
darster is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Mar 15, 2012, 07:05 AM   #6
UnseenLlama
macrumors 6502a

I thought you could purchase Sunday Ticket without signing up for DirectTV for $350 per season. If you can, will the DirectTV app allow you to AirPlay the output to an Apple TV?
UnseenLlama is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:04 AM   #7
cdavis11
macrumors regular

Be careful what you wish for.

MLB has been pretty good - but when it's not, it's very frustrating.
cdavis11 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:35 PM   #8
ELMI0001
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by macklor View Post
A New site has launched its Live Mobile TV Apps,Software for Android,iPhone,iPad,Tablets. NFL 2012 All professional week 1 to 17 games live stream here.you try this app

http://news.yahoo.com/http-mobilespo...070343596.html
that can't be legal and i doubt the site is legit

what device is this?

Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:46 PM   #9
mic j
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMI0001 View Post
that can't be legal and i doubt the site is legit

what device is this?

Seems too good to be true. Think I will let someone else be the guinea pig and hope they report back.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:51 PM   #10
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Valmike View Post
Not yet. ATV has the other major sports packages, so it stands to reason they may get at the very least the NFL Network channels at some point (NFLN, NFL News, and RedZone HD). If and when this happens, I'll be opening my wallet so fast you'll smell a trace of leather-pocket scent.

I don't think they CAN get NFL Sunday Ticket right now because of the other exclusive deals already in effect.
Oh man I would love if Apple did this. As a Time Warner Cable subscriber we are about the only ones that don't have NFL Network/Redzone
Old Aug 2, 2012, 02:07 PM   #11
Cobra611
macrumors regular

Cablevision NY also, does NOT offer NFL Network. I'm looking at alternatives so I could ;possibly dump them and DirecTV.
Cobra611 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 03:23 PM   #12
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra611 View Post
Cablevision NY also, does NOT offer NFL Network. I'm looking at alternatives so I could ;possibly dump them and DirecTV.
I was doing the same but I'm stuck, my Building doesn't allow satellite for directv and Fios is not available in my neighborhood. I dont feel like paying Sony $340 for streaming that I heard was spotty... But if they were to offer the NFL network and redzone seperately for a smaller price I would definitely do it.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 04:05 PM   #13
brentsg
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjnyc View Post
I was doing the same but I'm stuck, my Building doesn't allow satellite for directv
If you live in the USA then you should check with the FCC. They govern your ability to use a dish for DirecTV. There are a few exceptions, but in most cases the landowner can't stop you.
brentsg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 04:18 PM   #14
bigjnyc
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
If you live in the USA then you should check with the FCC. They govern your ability to use a dish for DirecTV. There are a few exceptions, but in most cases the landowner can't stop you.
I'll definitely look into that thanks
Old Aug 3, 2012, 06:19 PM   #15
tmurray87
macrumors newbie

If I could even get redzone on this, I'd be insanely happy
tmurray87 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 09:31 PM   #16
bembol
macrumors 6502a

I didn't know MLB & NHL was available. New to ATV.

How long did it take for the two to show up? Can we expect NFL in the future or is it dead because I would cancel my Cable if NFL was available.

BTW, Big Ben & Steel Curtain will win the Super Bowl this year!
Old Sep 7, 2012, 02:14 AM   #17
hasek53
macrumors newbie

MLB and NBA are since 2-3 years on Apple TV, NHL has been added for last season. Very nice to see NHL on Apple TV. Would love if NFL would also be available soon, espescially as a non US citizen ...

In the meantime I have to stream it via airplay to my apple tv.
hasek53 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 05:57 AM   #18
takezo808
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darster View Post
No. Currently can get the NFL package on the PS3, but no other device at this time.
cool too bad NFL soo boring. College Football is way more fun.
takezo808 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 11:14 AM   #19
donrsd
macrumors 6502

FYI - I have the NFL Packave via Directv. Also the MAX package that includes streaming.
On the PS3 app, just insert your Directv credentals and the NFL package plays

Now if I ever go to a friends ouse to watch football, we can watch the games on his Directv.h

Quote Me So I Am Notified
donrsd is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 7, 2012, 03:39 PM   #20
alent1234
macrumors 603

if you have cable internet chances are if you plug the coax into your TV you will get all the free channels and maybe more and can watch the games

i dropped my cable TV and can still get almost 100 channels through the cable wire because they are not encrypted
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 07:59 AM   #21
hipnetic
macrumors 6502a

If you can live without watching the games live, look into NFL Game Rewind. About $40 or so for the season. Think of it as on-demand for any game you want, once the game has finished playing live (the delay can be up to 24 hours depending on the time slot, or as little as immediately after the live game completes).

When the live game finishes, it becomes available to watch via a web browser or an iPad app (I haven't tried the latter yet). There's some nice sidebar controls that let you jump to a specific play. And you can watch games from some of the previous seasons, too.

Quality is HD, depending on your bandwidth.
hipnetic is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 09:38 PM   #22
boomhower
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentsg View Post
I'd say there is a 99.9% chance that he signed a lease agreeing to terms that included to dishes.

I don't see it happening and I'm shocked that they allowed Sony to do it with the PS3. DTV gets a lot of subscibers due to the NFL package, I'm one of them. With how popular Apple and the Apple TV is that's a lot of potential lost customers.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:15 PM   #23
applefanDrew
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnseenLlama View Post
I thought you could purchase Sunday Ticket without signing up for DirectTV for $350 per season. If you can, will the DirectTV app allow you to AirPlay the output to an Apple TV?
I think it will. You can just do Airplay Mirroring.
applefanDrew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2012, 10:23 PM   #24
Tilpots
macrumors 601

The NFL is available for streaming online for $250 from DirecTV.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:33 PM   #25
brentsg
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomhower View Post
I'd say there is a 99.9% chance that he signed a lease agreeing to terms that included to dishes.
It doesn't work that way. Everyone used to sign leases that stated you couldn't have a dish. The FCC doesn't allow that, it's not legal.. period. The FCC long ago put an end to property owners stating those restrictions.
brentsg is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Apple TV and Home Theater