Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
I know this is not a Diablo 3 topic per sé. But a lot of people have complained on these Diablo 3 forums that Diablo 2 does not work on OS X 10.7. Well it does not directly work.

But . . . . . .

With a few work arounds it does indeed work.

Ok here is the 3 ways to get Diablo 2 to be playable on OS X, with pros and cons of each method.

Via Sheepshaver (OS 9)
It works - Very playable
Can only use software mode for graphics
No right click. You have to Command+click (and control+click when vendoring loot) to simulate a right click. Is playable this way though.
Videos work.

Via Crossover (XP bottle)
It works - Very Playable
Can have a nice 3D graphics option
Right clicking totally works
In game videos do not work. I'm not sure how to get them to work. But apart from this the game works just fine.

Via VMware Fusion (10.6 client)
Does not work well at all - getting it to work this way is still a work in progress
Opengl mode works
Can't get sound to work
Mouse is very slow. So much so it's not playable. Not sure how to fix this yet.
Videos ingame work.

I wanted to playDiablo 2 again. And didn't want to re-partition my HDD for 10.6 and Rosetta. So I thought Hmmmm how am I going to do this. Then I thought sheepshaver. And after my testing it works well. So here's how you do it.

Tested on:
iMac 2011 21.5 i7
OS 10.7.0 and OS 9.0.0 (emulated through sheepshaver)

Things you will need

1. Diablo 2 and LOD Discs (you only need the LOD discs if you want to play LOD)
2. Mac OS 9.0.0 (any OS 8.1 to 9.0.4 should work. But I tested it on 9.0.0)

Follow these instructions

1. Download the latest sheepshaver here:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~ronaldpr/sheepshaverforum/SheepShaver_UB_20101106.zip

2. Download the Mac OS Rom here
http://www.mediafire.com/?6637d0vhu1ktove

3. Follow all the instructions to set up Sheepshaver here
http://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/sheepshaver_mac_os_x_setup
But some things to note:
Set the sheepshaver (OS9) ram to 512MB. That will help a lot.
Make a shared foder. And just throw it in the Sheepshaver folder. This folder is your link between OS X and OS9. OS9 side it looks like a HDD called Unix.
When you make your main HDD (Disc image) for OS 9. Make it 3000 MB (roughly 3GB is size.
Do not use the OS 9 set up assistant. I just crashes. So quit it right away.
Set the OS 9 screen size to 800x600. That's the LOD resolution and it works well that way,

4. From now on everything downloaded for OS 9 will be done OS X side and put in the shared folder. And only fiddle with the shared folder while OS 9 is not running. And don't run anything is OS 9 from the shared folder. Always copy it to the OS 9 HDD first.

5. Download Open GL 1.2.1 here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1109?viewlocale=en_US
And install it OS 9 side.

6. Download Carbon Lib 1.6 here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1116?viewlocale=en_US
And install it OS 9 side

7. Install Diablo 2 and LOD in OS 9 from the CDs.
Things you need to know:
Always put the CD in before you start OS 9. Make sure the CD is read OS X side then run OS 9.
Yes after Diablo 2 installs you have to quit Sheepshaver (OS 9) and eject Diablo 2 and insert the LOD disc and then restart OS 9. Then install LOD.

8. Once LOD is installed there is a couple game files not installed on the Disc. Copy those over to your LOD folder.

9. Get Info - the LOD app in OS 9 and set the memory to 102400K (100MB) for the minimum and preferred size.

10. Run LOD (or Diablo 2) in OS 9. And connect to battle.net in game. It will auto patch you to the latest patch. This is good cause I tried the stand alone patches and they didn't work for me. This also applies the no CD patch.

That's it . Now anytime you want to play Diablo 2 or LOD all you need to do is run Sheepshaver and click on the D2 or LOD app to play it.

Notes:
The game will run fullscreen within OS 9. But leave OS 9 as a window. Full screen OS 9 crashes and doesn't work according tot he sheepshaver developers.

The game only runs under software graphics. I'm not sure how to get it to access OpenGL under OS9. If anyone knows how to I'd be really grateful.

If you want to play an awesome LOD mod go here:
http://modsbylaz.hugelaser.com/
It's very good. I use it a lot of the time.
Just remember to only play Vanilla LOD on Battle.Net. Leave the Mod for offline play. Play with a funky LOD and Blizzard won't be happy.

Save your Vanilla patch and app files so you can swap back anytime you want play Vanilla or Battle.Net. Just remember Mod characters and Vanilla characters don't mix at all.

I recommend you try this mod. It's really good.

Last note. I tried the same thing for Starcraft 1 and OS X didn't read the SC1 disc properly. And the SC1 disc crashed sheepshaver. The BroodWar disc worked fine. But it wanted SC1 installed first. So yeah I'll have to find a work around for this.

How to Install Diablo 2 via Crossover on 10.7 Lion:

Crossover

1. Download and install the lastest version of Crossover
2. You need to mount the windows side of the CDs by typing this into terminal:
mkdir cd
This makes a folder inside your home folder. Called cd. You can delete it later. But that's where the windows portion of the cd mounts

Now before you need to use any CD, including the multi CD install of Diablo 2 you need to type this into terminal to mount the windows side of the cd.
mount -t cd9660 -r /dev/disk1s1 cd
And to unmount them when done type this
umount cd
So when the installer asks for a new disc you have to unmount the disc in terminal, then eject it then put in the new disc, then mount the windows part of it using terminal. Then you can click ok to let crossover install from that disc.
And you have to follow this for each disc.

3. Inside crossover just install new software using "other application" and a Windows XP bottle. And select the mounted windows side of the install disc or LOD disc and install it.

4. You have to install the 3 CD Diablo 2 first then you can install LOD using the same XP bottle you made before.

5. download the windows 1.13c patch for Diablo 2 and move it into your XP bottle into the same directory as Diablo 2 is in.

6. Open up crossover and under the programs menu select run command and choose the windows patch you just downloaded and run it to install it,

7. Now you can run Play Diablo 2 on your Mac via crossover.
But if you want to play in windowed mode you need to do the following:
Open up crossover and under the programs menu select run command and choose the windows Diablo 2 exe. And before you run it, add -window to the end of the run path. Then save it to the programs menu for easy future access.
Now you can play Diablo 2 in window'd mode anytime you wish.

Instructions for getting Diablo 2 to run on an Intel Mac - through VMware fusion and OS10.6 Snow Leopard (client version).
*Note well* - This method does work but the resulting game is not very playable. I can get Diablo 2 to install. But I can't get sound to work. And the mouse is glitchy in game as well. if anyone knows how to fix this please let me know.

1. Download and install VMware Fusion 3.1 or better.
Can be found on MSJ.

2. Do the following in terminal.

sudo bash
Followed by
cd "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages"
mkdir original
mv darwin.iso tools-key.pub *.sig original
sed "s/ServerVersion.plist/SystemVersion.plist/g" < original/darwin.iso > darwin.iso
openssl genrsa -out tools-priv.pem 2048
openssl rsa -in tools-priv.pem -pubout -out tools-key.pub
openssl dgst -sha1 -sign tools-priv.pem < darwin.iso > darwin.iso.sig
for A in *.iso ; do openssl dgst -sha1 -sign tools-priv.pem < $A > $A.sig ; done
exit

3. Open VMware fusion and install OS X Snow Leopard from a disc if you have a disc or from a disc image is you have that. I used the install DVD. And once the virtual machine is up and running wait for it to do it's thing. And it will fail saying "The guest operating system is not OS X server" or something similar. That's good. Cause we will bypass this "must have OS X server limitation.

4. Once it fails click ok. And before you do anything else go to the virtual machine menu and then CD/DVD and select "using physical CD/DVD drive" when done you can quit VMware Fusion.

5. Edit the virtual machine's (you just created) config file.
To find it, go to your virtual machines folder and look for your emulated OS X. right click it and choose "show package contents" and look for the file ending with .vmx Open it with text edit and delete the following line:
firmware="efi"

Then add the following of a separate line
cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"

Save and quit text edit.

6. Open VMware Fusion again and start up your OS X Snow Leopard virtual machine again. Yes it still has no OS on it. I used the install DVD here. If it does not work, make sure you have "using physical CD/DVD drive" or "choose disk image" selected depending on the way you are going with it. Sometimes it swaps to other options.

7. Once you have the virtual machine running from the install DVD or disk image you can install 10.6 to the virtual machine. Just remember when you install to choose a custom install. And select all the options you want. Rosetta is not installed by default. And having it on the virtual machine is probably the main reason for doing this whole process.

So click the boxes you want and then click ok and install OS X Snow Leopard to the virtual machine. Have a cup of tea or whatever you drink while it installs. It'll take a while.

7. When it's done run through all the initial setup of 10.6, you can use software update to update the OS or whatever apps you want to. 10.6.3 did have some nice gpu driver updates though. Optional step this one.

8. Shutdown the 10.6 VM and but keep fusion open and go to the VM's settings.
A shared folder is a good idea if you want to transfer files from Lion to the 10.6 VM.
Turn sound on.
I had to choose the "Connect directly" option under network for the VM to connect to the internet properly.
CPU and ram. Set it to a reasonable level. 1.5GB would be nice I think. That'll easily run SL and Diablo 2. 1GB might not cut it but you can test it. One core should be ok. I used 2 cause I have a quad core. But again test it for your machine.

9. Reboot into the 10.6 VM.

10. Download the Diablo 2 for OS X installer file. It's PPC only. But that's ok cause 10.6 has rosetta.

11. Install Diablo 2 and/or LOD using the OS X installer on the 10.6 VM.

12. Go and download the latest Mac patch for Diablo 2. 1.13c I think it is. And install this on the VM.

13. Now you can play Diablo 2. But in software mode.
Can't get sound to work. And the mouse sensitivity option in game is not selectable. So it really makes playing the game not at all nice.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Instead of the crossover solution which is commercial, best bet is to use a wineskin wrapper.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
Instead of the crossover solution which is commercial, best bet is to use a wineskin wrapper.

Nice info.
And I'm sure someone will tell us how this is done cause I have no wineskin wrapper expertise. Or maybe it's time to get out there and learn how to do this. I think I'll look into this.

doh123

macrumors 65816
Dec 28, 2009
I found it much, much easier to get it running using bootcamp and windows 7. :)

thats no problem for people who want to run Windows instead of Mac OS X... me I'd rather not play the game at all if I have to install and run Windows... I have a Mac because i want a Mac.

If you want to use hobby ported games, I suggest checking out a couple of places...

portingteam.com and paulthetall.com

You can get a lot of wrappers already made for games there, so all you have to do is download the wrapper, follow its directions to how you install the Windows version of the game in it, and then its a Mac app ready to go.

At a quick glance, looks like theres already a Wineskin wrapper in The Porting Team ports database...
http://portingteam.com/index.php/files/file/7022-diablo-ii-lord-of-destruction/

Of course you can always grab Wineskin and try to do it yourself... if your into that sort of thing, but it can be much easier to get a wrapper someone else has already made and figured out how to get it to work, so you can just play and not worry about trying to get it working.

Erendiox

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2004
Brooklyn NY
thats no problem for people who want to run Windows instead of Mac OS X... me I'd rather not play the game at all if I have to install and run Windows... I have a Mac because i want a Mac.

Hey don't get me wrong, I'm using OSX for everything else. It just seems silly to jump through all these hoops when it's so much better and easier on Windows. I have no problem using it for games.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Hey don't get me wrong, I'm using OSX for everything else. It just seems silly to jump through all these hoops when it's so much better and easier on Windows. I have no problem using it for games.

It's not just a matter of having a problem running windows on a mac or not. Using bootcamp means you'll have to lose a significant part of your disk for the windows partition. It also means you'll have to reboot every time you want to play D2. And what if you want to play D2 and have a download on the background, or some other app doing something. It's just not convenient.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
I found this forum topic about playing Diablo 2 under a wineskin wrapper.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1277412/#post13867961

And I can get it to work. Not as a standalone one click application though. I have to jump through a few hoops to get it to work. And I also can't get the mods (PlugY, MedianXL, MultiResMod) to work with the wineskin wrapper. Sure I have not tried that hard to get the mods to work but the vanilla LOD install works fine that way.

I can get all 3 mods to run via a crossover bottle just fine and that's how I play the game.

I found it much, much easier to get it running using bootcamp and windows 7. :)
This is possibly true. If you use bootcamp a lot that's probably the better method. But . . .

If you spend 95% of your life in OS X and/or want to use OS X apps at the same time or have them run in the background, then rebooting into Windows just to play one game does not make much sense when you can set up the game so 2-3 clicks each time gets you into the game.

Each to their own. Some people are bootcamp fans. Others will welcome the opportunity to play the game via OS X, be it through a virtual OS.

Also I find it rather fun to get windows software/games to run on OS X (usually through some sort of virtualisation). Sure others have done it before me. But I enjoy the challenge of working it out for myself. I will boot into Windows when I have to. But I really try not to whenever possible.

Diablo 2 ported to iOS would be cool.
1 finger click or drag for movement.
2 finger tap for left skill
3 finger tap for right skill
And maybe 4 finger tap or a weird swipe for potion use or something.

It'd be very doable. And you could have the onscreen keyboard pop up for the chat box.

Last edited:

MightyChorizo

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2012
Sheepshaver method

How did you complete the installation where it requires the CD be switched form installation disc to play disc and keep the discs recognized by MacOS9?

rimmi2002

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2011
Has anyone tried this.

I know you can install D2 in Snow Leopard. Then you can upgrade to Lion and the game will work fine.

I already have Lion and its too much hassle to downgrade. So I was wondering will this option work....I install SL on a new drive. Use SL to install D2 and then just copy all the file to the Lion drive and then run it through Lion. Let me know if anyone else has tried this? I'm thinking about trying it otherwise.

Thanks.

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Sadly, this would not work. Problem is not the installation itself, it's just that the Rosetta support is missing from Lion. Therefore D2 cannot be executed directly on Lion.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Jul 2, 2006
Cannot help with getting Diablo 2 to run, but as a games player I soon realised that Lion does you no favours at all and I soon went back to Snow leopard.

ticki

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2012
I got diablo II to work using wineskin. Installing from cd did not work, however. What I did instead was installing it into windows xp (in virtual box), updating it to 1.13d there, and copying the files over to the wineskin disk c:. I also got Plugy to work by installing the D2SE mod manager and setting D2SE.exe as executable in wineskin.

Everything is working now, but there are a few quirks:

1. To go into bnet you have to change the executable to the original diablo.exe because d2se can't start 1.13d yet, whereas Plugy needs the 1.13c patch.

2. Fullscreen mode is scrambled with the latest wine 1.50. I got it to work with the winetricks commands ddr=gdi and grabfullscreen=n, though. Alternatively, an older wine engine also works.

3. Only DDraw (Software) graphics mode works for me, also the videos don't play.

4. The alt-key which shows you the items on the ground is mapped to the command key, and you can't drink a potion with keys 1-4 while pressing the command key. In the options for wineskin there is "Option key works as Alt" which lets you use both keys, and drinking potions works again, though clicking on the ground now makes the item captions go away which is slightly annoying.

5. What is great is (besides being able to use Plugy and do the uber quest) is that it runs faster than on my old ppc mac. There it would take up to 30 seconds to use a town portal from for example the countess cellar to the rogues' camp.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
I got diablo II to work using wineskin.
Thanks for the info. I have tried wineskin but found it a little tricky to get right. I'll need someone to walk me through it I think. Anyways thanks for letting me know it works.

And I play LoD this way:

LoD V1.12
Multi-res Mod (needs LoD V1.12)
MedianXL (version Omega 003. The later 2012 version is just a failed experiment, stick with omega003)
Plugy

And here's a nice video explanation video on how to install 3 mods. Sure it's for windows but worked just fine in my crossover bottle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0UHp1L23ILE

----------

How did you complete the installation where it requires the CD be switched form installation disc to play disc and keep the discs recognized by MacOS9?

I just installed them as such but if I remember correctly I made sure OS X read and loaded up the discs first then tabbed back into Sheepshaver and that worked. I'm not 100% sure. But I honestly had no issue getting the discs read by OS9 (sheepshaver) to get the install done.

I'll keep thinking of ideas if you keep getting stuck there.

seamuskrat

macrumors 6502a
Feb 17, 2003
New Jersey USA
I am using CrossOVer and trying to get this into Windowed mode. For the life of me, I cannot get D2 LOD to run in windowed mode under Cross OVer.

The real issue is Little Snitch - I need to allow connections and cannot exit the game to allow and I cannot seem to make a global ruel for Crossover.

Any suggestions?
I know this is not a Diablo 3 topic per sé. But a lot of people have complained on these Diablo 3 forums that Diablo 2 does not work on OS X 10.7. Well it does not directly work.

But . . . . . .

With a few work arounds it does indeed work.

Ok here is the 3 ways to get Diablo 2 to be playable on OS X, with pros and cons of each method.

Via Sheepshaver (OS 9)
It works - Very playable
Can only use software mode for graphics
No right click. You have to Command+click (and control+click when vendoring loot) to simulate a right click. Is playable this way though.
Videos work.

Via Crossover (XP bottle)
It works - Very Playable
Can have a nice 3D graphics option
In game videos do not work. I'm not sure how to get them to work. But apart from this the game works just fine.

Via VMware Fusion (10.6 client)
Does not work well at all - getting it to work this way is still a work in progress
Opengl mode works
Can't get sound to work
Mouse is very slow. So much so it's not playable. Not sure how to fix this yet.
Videos ingame work.

I wanted to playDiablo 2 again. And didn't want to re-partition my HDD for 10.6 and Rosetta. So I thought Hmmmm how am I going to do this. Then I thought sheepshaver. And after my testing it works well. So here's how you do it.

Tested on:
iMac 2011 21.5 i7

Things you will need

But some things to note:
Make a shared foder. And just throw it in the Sheepshaver folder. This folder is your link between OS X and OS9. OS9 side it looks like a HDD called Unix.
When you make your main HDD (Disc image) for OS 9. Make it 3000 MB (roughly 3GB is size.
Set the OS 9 screen size to 800x600. That's the LOD resolution and it works well that way,

4. From now on everything downloaded for OS 9 will be done OS X side and put in the shared folder. And only fiddle with the shared folder while OS 9 is not running. And don't run anything is OS 9 from the shared folder. Always copy it to the OS 9 HDD first.

And install it OS 9 side

Things you need to know:
Always put the CD in before you start OS 9. Make sure the CD is read OS X side then run OS 9.
Yes after Diablo 2 installs you have to quit Sheepshaver (OS 9) and eject Diablo 2 and insert the LOD disc and then restart OS 9. Then install LOD.

8. Once LOD is installed there is a couple game files not installed on the Disc. Copy those over to your LOD folder.

9. Get Info - the LOD app in OS 9 and set the memory to 102400K (100MB) for the minimum and preferred size.

10. Run LOD (or Diablo 2) in OS 9. And connect to battle.net in game. It will auto patch you to the latest patch. This is good cause I tried the stand alone patches and they didn't work for me. This also applies the no CD patch.

That's it . Now anytime you want to play Diablo 2 or LOD all you need to do is run Sheepshaver and click on the D2 or LOD app to play it.

Notes:
The game will run fullscreen within OS 9. But leave OS 9 as a window. Full screen OS 9 crashes and doesn't work according tot he sheepshaver developers.

The game only runs under software graphics. I'm not sure how to get it to access OpenGL under OS9. If anyone knows how to I'd be really grateful.

Just remember to only play Vanilla LOD on Battle.Net. Leave the Mod for offline play. Play with a funky LOD and Blizzard won't be happy.

Save your Vanilla patch and app files so you can swap back anytime you want play Vanilla or Battle.Net. Just remember Mod characters and Vanilla characters don't mix at all.

Last note. I tried the same thing for Starcraft 1 and OS X didn't read the SC1 disc properly. And the SC1 disc crashed sheepshaver. The BroodWar disc worked fine. But it wanted SC1 installed first. So yeah I'll have to find a work around for this.

How to Install Diablo 2 via Crossover on 10.7 Lion:

Crossover

1. Download and install the lastest version of Crossover
2. You need to mount the windows side of the CDs by typing this into terminal:
mkdir cd
This makes a folder inside your home folder. Called cd. You can delete it later. But that's where the windows portion of the cd mounts

Now before you need to use any CD, including the multi CD install of Diablo 2 you need to type this into terminal to mount the windows side of the cd.
mount -t cd9660 -r /dev/disk1s1 cd
And to unmount them when done type this
umount cd
So when the installer asks for a new disc you have to unmount the disc in terminal, then eject it then put in the new disc, then mount the windows part of it using terminal. Then you can click ok to let crossover install from that disc.
And you have to follow this for each disc.

3. Inside crossover just install new software using "other application" and a Windows XP bottle. And select the mounted windows side of the install disc or LOD disc and install it.

4. You have to install the 3 CD Diablo 2 first then you can install LOD using the same XP bottle you made before.

5. download the windows 1.13c patch for Diablo 2 and move it into your XP bottle into the same directory as Diablo 2 is in.

6. Open up crossover and under the programs menu select run command and choose the windows patch you just downloaded and run it to install it,

7. Now you can run Play Diablo 2 on your Mac via crossover.
But if you want to play in windowed mode you need to do the following:
Open up crossover and under the programs menu select run command and choose the windows Diablo 2 exe. And before you run it, add -window to the end of the run path. Then save it to the programs menu for easy future access.
Now you can play Diablo 2 in window'd mode anytime you wish.

Instructions for getting Diablo 2 to run on an Intel Mac - through VMware fusion and OS10.6 Snow Leopard (client version).
*Note well* - This method does work but the resulting game is not very playable. I can get Diablo 2 to install. But I can't get sound to work. And the mouse is glitchy in game as well. if anyone knows how to fix this please let me know.

1. Download and install VMware Fusion 3.1 or better.
Can be found on MSJ.

2. Do the following in terminal.

sudo bash
Followed by
cd "/Library/Application Support/VMware Fusion/isoimages"
mkdir original
mv darwin.iso tools-key.pub *.sig original
sed "s/ServerVersion.plist/SystemVersion.plist/g" < original/darwin.iso > darwin.iso
openssl genrsa -out tools-priv.pem 2048
openssl rsa -in tools-priv.pem -pubout -out tools-key.pub
openssl dgst -sha1 -sign tools-priv.pem < darwin.iso > darwin.iso.sig
for A in *.iso ; do openssl dgst -sha1 -sign tools-priv.pem < $A > $A.sig ; done
exit

3. Open VMware fusion and install OS X Snow Leopard from a disc if you have a disc or from a disc image is you have that. I used the install DVD. And once the virtual machine is up and running wait for it to do it's thing. And it will fail saying "The guest operating system is not OS X server" or something similar. That's good. Cause we will bypass this "must have OS X server limitation.

4. Once it fails click ok. And before you do anything else go to the virtual machine menu and then CD/DVD and select "using physical CD/DVD drive" when done you can quit VMware Fusion.

5. Edit the virtual machine's (you just created) config file.
To find it, go to your virtual machines folder and look for your emulated OS X. right click it and choose "show package contents" and look for the file ending with .vmx Open it with text edit and delete the following line:
firmware="efi"

Then add the following of a separate line
cpuid.1.eax = "0000:0000:0000:0001:0000:0110:1010:0101"

Save and quit text edit.

6. Open VMware Fusion again and start up your OS X Snow Leopard virtual machine again. Yes it still has no OS on it. I used the install DVD here. If it does not work, make sure you have "using physical CD/DVD drive" or "choose disk image" selected depending on the way you are going with it. Sometimes it swaps to other options.

7. Once you have the virtual machine running from the install DVD or disk image you can install 10.6 to the virtual machine. Just remember when you install to choose a custom install. And select all the options you want. Rosetta is not installed by default. And having it on the virtual machine is probably the main reason for doing this whole process.

So click the boxes you want and then click ok and install OS X Snow Leopard to the virtual machine. Have a cup of tea or whatever you drink while it installs. It'll take a while.

7. When it's done run through all the initial setup of 10.6, you can use software update to update the OS or whatever apps you want to. 10.6.3 did have some nice gpu driver updates though. Optional step this one.

8. Shutdown the 10.6 VM and but keep fusion open and go to the VM's settings.
A shared folder is a good idea if you want to transfer files from Lion to the 10.6 VM.
Turn sound on.
I had to choose the "Connect directly" option under network for the VM to connect to the internet properly.
CPU and ram. Set it to a reasonable level. 1.5GB would be nice I think. That'll easily run SL and Diablo 2. 1GB might not cut it but you can test it. One core should be ok. I used 2 cause I have a quad core. But again test it for your machine.

9. Reboot into the 10.6 VM.

10. Download the Diablo 2 for OS X installer file. It's PPC only. But that's ok cause 10.6 has rosetta.

11. Install Diablo 2 and/or LOD using the OS X installer on the 10.6 VM.

12. Go and download the latest Mac patch for Diablo 2. 1.13c I think it is. And install this on the VM.

13. Now you can play Diablo 2. But in software mode.
Can't get sound to work. And the mouse sensitivity option in game is not selectable. So it really makes playing the game not at all nice.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Original poster
Apr 18, 2011
I am using CrossOVer and trying to get this into Windowed mode. For the life of me, I cannot get D2 LOD to run in windowed mode under Cross OVer.

The real issue is Little Snitch - I need to allow connections and cannot exit the game to allow and I cannot seem to make a global ruel for Crossover.

Any suggestions?

If you use a crossover bottle you have to have to go tot he programs menu and run command. And there you put in the directory (within the crossover bottle) of the D2 app or plugy app you are using. And add the command parameter -w I think it is at the end with a space between. Just as you would if you were on windows. That gets the crossover bottle to play Diablo 2 in window'd mode.

Last edited:

matax

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2012
Tested on:
iMac 2011 21.5 i7

Things you will need

But some things to note:

And install it OS 9 side

Things you need to know:

Notes:

I followed this, but once diablo 2 update to patch 1.13d I can get battlenet to work. It display the error message "battle net is unable to properly identify your application version".

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011

Attachments

• Risk II.png
    Risk II.png
    544.3 KB · Views: 834

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
I also avoid bootcamp, but it seems that no one here has discussed VirtualBox, VMWare, or Parallels as an option to run the Windows binaries for Diablo II virtually in OS X. This game is so old, and so un-demanding of modern hardware, it should run smoothly enough, no? I had Starcraft running in a virtual machine at full speed just fine before I finally cracked the nut and got it working correctly in a Wineskin.

Just a thought, and some more options. . .

takezo808

macrumors member
Aug 7, 2011
Virtual Box Works pretty good

I got Windows 7 vm on VB on Mac Mini.

The VM has 2GB of RAM. Note that when increase ram on VM, the VM will use 2GB of ram from the MAC. So if you only got 4GB installed. You would need to install mor memory Windows 7 needs at least 2GB to run decently.

Next install VB additions. Just look in the VM options. This will drasically increase VM speed to almost native. The draw back is that 3D support is still in beta. It's not that big of a deal when VB is 100% free.

Install Diablo 2 with full game install, copy over the remaning MPQ files over (google play D2 with out CD).

Download the latest and last patch for D2 manually from blizzards site. install it.

Play Diablo 2. Note: The title screen will be funky colors. This is because Windows 7 requires a resolution of 800x600. The title screen is 640x480. Thus when you first start the game the funky collors will be in the game too. but you can easily fix it by increasing it to 800x600. Note: you need LOD expansion to enable 800x600 resolution.

After that it runs fairly good. It's using a software rendering engine based off of direct draw so the game will look a little dull with the missing directx effects. The perspective mode is not availible.

Other than that. no glitches. and no need to reboot.

Ofcourse you could just get Diablo 3 and be done with it.

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
Wait, does the Carbon Installer not work any more?

Registering your game on battle.net should let you download an updated version of the game if that isn't working.

Diablo II, Starcraft I and Warcraft III are dead to us. Apple killed the games when they axed Rosetta in Lion over a year ago, and Blizzard clearly and decisively shrugged their shoulders. The only thing Blizzard did was to update the executable for Warcraft III to an intel app, but get this: the installer wasn't updated, so downloading from Battle.net is moot since you won't be able to run the installer without Rosetta. Nuts. Three of the most popular games of all time and Apple/Blizzard sit there and yawn. Yet on the Windows side, you can run those games just fine using any one of the last 7 generations of the OS, including the current one. Embarrassing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.