Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mrjayviper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
I tried QT7 pro but the options for passthrough are disabled (export to mpeg-4 format). What are my other options? Thanks :)

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
this? http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ivi/id402279089?mt=12

does it support merging without reencoding? The description doesn't say right out. thanks :)

It does. Just drag the first video in the app, then, double-click it in the list, select the Video Joining tab (fourth) and drag the additional, to-be-joined videos there in the order you want to join them.

If the videos are in the same format + resolution + fps, they will be joined without (!!!) recompression and VERY quickly.

mrjayviper

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
thanks to both. :)

left the mbp at work so will be trying this on monday.

robearbeach

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2012
I can't make iVI work to merge 2 m4v files

I've followed the directions but all the thing does is convert the first m4v filed into a giant mov file that won't play in quicktime or itunes.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I know this is an old thread, but I thought it was worth resurrecting... I just had just purchased LOTR Extended box set (bluray) which has the movie spanned across two disks. I convert all my movies to M4V for streaming to my ATV and have been looking long and hard for a way to merge them without much success. I have QT Pro but that didn't work for me. It acted like it worked, but as soon as it was done saving, the file it created, for whatever reason got truncated down to 32 bytes and was useless.

After days of trying, I FINALLY figured out how to get this done while maintaining the chapters AND AC3 audio without having to do any actual re-encoding. A few notes.

1) I used windows based programs (all free)
2) This method requires the files to be in MKV format for the merging process. If you haven't already encoded the original disks (using handbrake) do so using the MKV container, it will save you a step. (don't worry, it will be remuxed into a M4V container later)

Programs Needed:
XMedia Recode
MKVMerge/MKVToolnix

I'll describe the processes assuming you already have the encoded M4V files.

1A) Launch XMedia Recode and drag your M4V files into the queue

1B) Select the 1st file in the queue. In the FORMAT tab chose the CUSTOM profile, MATROSKA VIDEO format and MKV file extention. Make sure Output Stream type is set to "video and audio"

1C) In the VIDEO tab. Make sure MODE is set to COPY. If you fail to do this step, the video will get re-encoded instead of simply remuxed into a different container.

1D) In the AUDIO tab, select COPY for the mode and AC3 for the codec (assuming you're working with an AC3 stream) You may also have more than one audio stream, make sure you select the stream and choose your settings accordingly.

1E) Click on "add job" button

1F) Repeat these steps for the second video. It is imperative that the settings you select for both segments are identical or the merging processes in "Step 2" will fail

1G) Click the "ENCODE" button. You can chance your destination at the bottom. The process goes a bit faster if the input and output files are on two separate drives.

(The entire processes above can be skipped if you encode directly to MKV from the originals)

2A) Once the above processes is done, you should have 2 MKV files (or more if you're combining more than 2 segments) make sure the file names are identical with a 001 appended to the first segment and 002 to the second.

2B) Launch mkvmerge. Click and drag the first segment into the "input files" queue. Click on APPEND button and select the second segment.

2C) Click on "start muxing" Once this processes completes you should have a 3rd MKV which is (almost) the finished product. I like to open the file and make sure it's working and audio is in sync, then proceed to the final step (3)

3A) Open XMedia Recode and load the new MKV file created in the previous step into the queue.

3B) Select APPLE for profile and sub profile most suitable for your application.

3C) In the VIDEO tab set MODE to COPY

3D) In the AUDIO tab, select the audio stream. Set MODE to COPY and CODEC to AC3.

3E) Click on ADD JOB and then ENCODE

Don't let the "encode" button frighten you, as long as you selected "copy" in the video tab, it will not processes the video but simply change the container to M4V.

It's somewhat of a processes, but that should get you a merged M4V file with AC3 audio and chapters intact. Unfortunately after several days of searching and trying different apps, I was unable to find a program that successfully merged M4V files. QT came close only to deflate me at the end. MPEG Streamclip (another suggested app) came even closer, it merged the video perfectly but completely stripped out the audio.

sugarbear

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2010
I tried the above instructions with a series of small clips hoping I'd get 1 file with each clip as a different chapter.

No dice. One big chapter.

The file did work, however, and was great quality.

Also, for ATV videos, you usually want two audio tracks -the stereo and the surround - which affords some flexibility if you move the file to iDevices or Airplay it to certain setups. I couldn't get the stereo track, which was included in all of the clips, to work on the compiled file... but that may have been my fault along the way.

2IS

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2011
I tried the above instructions with a series of small clips hoping I'd get 1 file with each clip as a different chapter.

No dice. One big chapter.

The file did work, however, and was great quality.

Also, for ATV videos, you usually want two audio tracks -the stereo and the surround - which affords some flexibility if you move the file to iDevices or Airplay it to certain setups. I couldn't get the stereo track, which was included in all of the clips, to work on the compiled file... but that may have been my fault along the way.

It's been a while since I posted that but IIRC, that process does not add chapters based on the number of clips but keeps the chapter data already contained within the files in tact.

cool11

macrumors 68000
Sep 3, 2006
It does. Just drag the first video in the app, then, double-click it in the list, select the Video Joining tab (fourth) and drag the additional, to-be-joined videos there in the order you want to join them.

If the videos are in the same format + resolution + fps, they will be joined without (!!!) recompression and VERY quickly.

I will try it.

rosiel122

macrumors newbie
Feb 24, 2014
Midwest
I used mp4 joiner to do exactly what you are trying to do. It was very handy in preserving chapter marks.

It is free and multi platform.

Guzaking

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2015
this thread does need another resurrection...I see many bad reviews of mp4 Joiner, Freemake and FLV Joiner that they have malware all over them. I read that older version of Quicktime has this option of merging mp4's together but like Apple's usual mis-direction, took this option away on later QT updates. Does anyone know which older version of QT allows this stringing together of video files? Or another good, simple, lossless program that isn't littered with malware?

Guzaking

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2015
I've found the easiest way of doing it, just use an older version of the regular free QuickTime 7.0+ which gives you the ability to just drag and drop files on top of each other in sequence and it creates a perfect, merged video for you. Ofcourse Apple took this feature away on their later updates as usual to force people to buy the Pro version, but you don't need to buy it. QuickTime 7.0+ also gives alot of other useful features too, all taken away from users in upgrades! upgrades! upgrades!

http://www.macyourself.com/2009/03/...eo-files-using-the-free-version-of-quicktime/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.