Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I love Apple as much as the next fanboy, and I do plan on buying the new phone. But I had to laugh when I saw that we're measuring the holes of the casing now.

Really? It's come down to that? This isn't a new foreign species that we have to document every millimeter of. It's a larger phone, larger screen, and you get one more row for icons on the home screen. That's the news in a nutshell.

Having said that, I'm not sure why people keep complaining that Apple needs to do something "different" with the design of the phone. Why mess with perfection? The phone is thin and elegant with no wasted space. It only takes up the amount of material that is necessary to house the components, and nothing more. That's how it should be. There is no fancy beveling or textures like on other phones. No excessively rounded edges.

A smartphone should focus on the content on screen and the exterior should fade into the background. Apple has mastered that. So I don't know what else people expect. Shooting rainbows and unicorns?

There's plenty of wasted space in the front. Just look at the top and bottom borders on the iPhone compared to pretty much any android phone out there.

cruisencode

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2009
According to your logic, why was "2" skipped?

It went to 4 because it was the 4th generation iPhone.

iPhone (1st Gen)
iPhone 3G (2nd Gen)
iPhone 3GS (3rd Gen)
iPhone 4 (FOURTH Gen)
iPhone 4S (5th Gen)
iPhone...?? (6th Gen)

?? = 5 (3 -> 4 -> 5) :D

And I believe it went to 4 because 4 comes after 3. ;)

Oh, and they skipped 2 because they wanted to include 3G in the name (since it had 3G). This also serves as proof that they don't care about the generation when numbering the iPhone.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
i can't believe there are people that still think this is fake :p

u silly guys

we started seeing iphone 4s parts like this and even the 4 was leaked and u still said it was fake!

who was that guy that said he'd never buy one and then he bought one?

oh yah ALL YOU HATERS!

can't wait! -bart scott

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Then why would Tim Cook say that Apple is
going to double down on secrecy. He also said that they would go to any measures to secure future products. As far as I'm concerned, this is drastic measures. It's genius. We'll just see on September 12th. I'm writing your name down

Lol go for it. I mean, yeah Tim Cook said that, but it doesn't mean that things won't get leaked. Maybe he means these measures will go into effect next year.

The iPhone is going into mass production, millions of units and it's a small device. They deal with manufacturers from China/Brazil, something is bound to get leaked out.

Also, the iPhone casing leaks every year.

I'm 110% positive. Quote me on it.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
I thought he was wearing them as to not damage the screen and then he starts scratching the hell out of it with his keys... So I am left wondering why the finger condoms to begin with?

Related to the actual thread: "The New iPhone"
Like the design (excited to see the finished product)

I think it was to keep finger prints off of it, not scratches.

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
Then why would Tim Cook say that Apple is
going to double down on secrecy. He also said that they would go to any measures to secure future products. As far as I'm concerned, this is drastic measures. It's genius. We'll just see on September 12th. I'm writing your name down

you say the right thing

u can't really expect millions of units to go into fabrication without a single leak - :rolleyes:

this is the 'new iphone' guys

im already standing in line for one in my head

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009

Oh, and they skipped 2 because they wanted to include 3G in the name (since it had 3G). This also serves as proof that they don't care about the generation when numbering the iPhone).

No.

Count with me:

1st: iPhone
2nd: iPhone 3G
3rd: iPhone 3GS
4th: iPhone 4
5th: iPhone 4S
6th: ?????

It'll probably just be called "the new iPhone."

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
It's so funny to see people trash the OneX and GS3 because of their size which I think the new iPhone should at least match, but watch next year when they stretch this new version out sideways to make it more along the lines of those phones everyone will say it's amazing... :rolleyes:

I guess Apple didn't have enough weights to hang off both sides of the phone...

Last edited:

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
There's plenty of wasted space in the front. Just look at the top and bottom borders on the iPhone compared to pretty much any android phone out there.

Really? I suspect the Samsung Galaxy S3 has pretty much the same amount of space above and below the screen.

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy

I agree about the top of the screen, but the thin bezel to the sides and the bottom bezel serve as thumb rest to keep you from accidentally hitting the touch screen.

That is one of my big problems with some Android devices, that and the lack of a dedicated physical home button- especially on my Samsung tablet.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
They should have kept the FaceTime camera in its current location rather than move it to above the earpiece and reduced that area to decrease the overall device height even further.

cruisencode

macrumors member
Dec 28, 2009
No.

Count with me:

2nd: iPhone 3G
3rd: iPhone 3GS
5th: iPhone 4S

It'll probably just be called "the new iPhone."

No.

It they cared so much about generations it would have been the following:

2nd: iPhone 2
3rd: iPhone 3
5th: iPhone 5

cmichaelb

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2008
Italy
It's so funny to see people trash the OneX and GS3 because of their size which I think the new iPhone should at least match, but watch next year when they stretch this new version out sideways to make it more along the lines of those phones everyone will say it's amazing... :rolleyes:

They won't stretch it again next year. Remember their pattern- 3G to 3GS, 4 to 4S, iPhone whatever to iPhone whatever S.

Only took two posts...... We get it!

I like calling it the iPhone 4XL. Bugs the hell out of my friends. :D

LOL....I like it.

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
I'm excited as anyone here about the iPhone 5 release, but this daily frontpage coverage of the same, repetitive "news" is getting old.

Dades

macrumors member
May 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
The key scratch test is hilarious. :p

Oh, and I still hate the Longphone and cannot comprehend how Apple see a stretched version of their iP4 as enough of a design leap after two years.

Let's face it - the hardware probably won't see a refresh again until 2014, which means their single telephone product will have seen only minor tweaks in four years.

BornAgainApple

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Massachusetts

I agree with your assessment, but I believe Apple also needed to use the 'wasted space' to accommodate a larger battery inside, hence the reason to move the camera above the earpiece and shift the home button down a bit. Since the phone will most likely be thinner, they'll need to keep battery life around what the 4S is getting, and this might be the only other way to do it.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009

Oh, and they skipped 2 because they wanted to include 3G in the name (since it had 3G). This also serves as proof that they don't care about the generation when numbering the iPhone.
No, because it was the fourth generation. Steve Jobs literally said that today they were introducing 'iPhone 4; the fourth generation iPhone.'

Apple has a reason for everything when giving product names. iPhone 3G, because it got 3G speeds. iPhone 3GS, because it had the 3G design but received Speed bumps. iPhone 4, because it was the fourth generation iPhone. iPhone 4S, because it had the iPhone 4's design, with Siri (and Speed).

If they call it "iPhone 5", what will the "5" stand for? If you look at Apple's naming patterns, it must mean something.

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
I agree about the top of the screen, but the thin bezel to the sides and the bottom bezel serve as thumb rest to keep you from accidentally hitting the touch screen.

That is one of my big problems with some Android devices, that and the lack of a dedicated physical home button- especially on my Samsung tablet.

I think it would look strange with an asymmetrical front panel. Also, don't forget that there are times when you might be using the phone upside down and that space above the screen works the same way as the space below does - allowing you a place to grip with your thumb.

Does anyone have photoshop who fancies mocking up what this design would look like with less space either above or below the screen, or less space at both ends? I get the feeling it would look really odd.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008

I think that all the numbers are going away for the future... the new iPhone is going to be just the new iPhone... just like the iPad, all their other products. the iPhone is the only Mac product that has a version number on it and it does create the confusion we are describing.

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
I love Apple as much as the next fanboy, and I do plan on buying the new phone. But I had to laugh when I saw that we're measuring the holes of the casing now.

A smartphone should focus on the content on screen and the exterior should fade into the background. Apple has mastered that. So I don't know what else people expect. Shooting rainbows and unicorns?

I am all in for a good ol' fashion unicorn hunt. Those damned single horn freaks of nature need to be extinct once and for ALL!!!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.