Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
My number one pet peeve from Snow Leopard is now back in Mountain Lion. I don't use OS X Mail. Something is triggering it to automatically open up... all the freaking time... sometimes it asks me to set up an account. Sometimes I think it's something from my calendar that triggers it. Any way to stop this from happening?

fisherking

macrumors G4
Jul 16, 2010
ny somewhere
most email links (on websites, etc) will try to open Mail by default.
it's not a snow leopard or mountain lion issue.

you can change (in Mail preferences) your default reader...to something else.

what ARE you using for email? if you're doing it online, this is perfect...

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I just opened Mail to check, and Sparrow is set as my default mail client. I use Sparrow for e-mail, and I'll continue to use it for sometime... of course, with google buying sparrow, sigh......

mikematzdorff

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
I think that the Calendar app is actually at fault.

I'm trying this...
http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/80_os_x_mountain_lion_tips_and_tricks

look at the tip about calendar notifications.

I tried changing default mail client and a bunch of other stuff.

I hope this works.

I use gmail on the web and google cal as well.

My number one pet peeve from Snow Leopard is now back in Mountain Lion. I don't use OS X Mail. Something is triggering it to automatically open up... all the freaking time... sometimes it asks me to set up an account. Sometimes I think it's something from my calendar that triggers it. Any way to stop this from happening?

----------

NOPE.

Sorry.

I think that the Calendar app is actually at fault.

I'm trying this...
http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/80_os_x_mountain_lion_tips_and_tricks

look at the tip about calendar notifications.

I tried changing default mail client and a bunch of other stuff.

I hope this works.

I use gmail on the web and google cal as well.

mikematzdorff

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
progress

it's def a calendar app thing.

I use "fantastical"

I made an entry in fantastical to send an alert and an email

I made another entry directly into google calendar

the fantastical entry(it puts the entry in the calendar program) queued mail to open

the gcal entry did not queue mail to open...

which sucks because i love fantastical.

anyway.

that worked for me.

good luck

I just opened Mail to check, and Sparrow is set as my default mail client. I use Sparrow for e-mail, and I'll continue to use it for sometime... of course, with google buying sparrow, sigh......

mikematzdorff

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2011
Solved!!

I talked with a support person named Kent at Flexbits (fantastical)

He suggested fooling with this file to fix...

/System/Library/Frameworks/CalendarStore.framework/Versions/A/Resources/Mail.applescript

because I don't know code, I just moved it out of the directory, but still no fix. BUT, inside the same folder is a "scripts" folder with mail.scpt in it. I moved that file too and all is as it should be.

no calendar.app opening mail.app

not sure of repercussions, but I can always put it back.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
thanks for that tip, Mike... I just went ahead and renamed those files... let's see if Mail keeps opening or not. I really hope it works!

nyolc8

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2012
For me, Mail window sometimes shows up when OSX starts. "Hide" is checked for Mail in the Login items. Any idea?

lepromatous

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2012
Try this

I had this same issue and fixed it by removing the apple mail from the notification center. To do this, open system preferences and click notifications. Remove the apple mail icon from the "In Notification Center" portion by unchecking the box "Show in Notification Center".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.