Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With the recent addition of Hulu Plus to the Apple TV platform, analysts are thinking of other video content that could be making its way to the product. Over the years, Apple has updated the Apple TV's software several times, occasionally adding new video content. In 2011, Apple added support for Vimeo, streaming NHL games, and Wall Street Journal videos.

NewImage3.png
As noticed by All Things D, from a Seeking Alpha transcript, CBS CEO Les Moonves answered an analyst's question yesterday about offering CBS content on the Apple TV platform in the future:
Anthony J. DiClemente -- Barclays Capital, Research Division

Okay. And then one for Les. You -- I'm sure -- you may have seen that Apple TV added Hulu onto its platform this week. I'm just wondering, when you think about Apple, are you in any way philosophically opposed to offering CBS on the Apple TV platform? And I know I -- just from prior experience, I'm sure your answer will have something to do with getting paid for your content. But more specifically, is there anything you need to see or specifically anything you need to get in order to be convinced that that's a smart strategy for CBS?

Leslie Moonves

Look, Anthony, you've -- we've had this discussion many times before. You're right, it depends what the terms are, it depends what we get paid for. It depends on what effect Apple TV would have on either our advertising, our syndication or our retrans, which are our 3 main buckets of revenue for our content. So if it sits in well, like Netflix did and Amazon did, we're happy to discuss it. If it doesn't and we're -- they're using our content to build a business, we're not quite as favorable to that. So the devil is in the details. I know it sounds like a pat answer, but it's really true.
Perhaps the biggest competitor to the Apple TV's video streaming is from Microsoft's Xbox 360. The video gaming box has transitioned in recent years to much more of a content device, with Microsoft adding support for video content from Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, Comcast and Verizon FiOS. It is easy to see how adding those last three to the Apple TV could vastly expand the demand for Apple's set-top box, though the sticking point will be how to compensate both Apple and content providers.

Image from Sami

Article Link: CBS Open to Talks on Apple TV, Depending on "What We Get Paid"

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
Of course it will have to do with what they each get paid. It wouldn't make sense to have a business deal where you let the other company take all of the profit ;)

Unless it's all just a conspiracy. :O

dgree03

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
Given there lineup of shows, "What we get paid" shouldnt be much!

(DISCLAIMER I like "Person of Interest")

DaveN

macrumors 6502a
May 1, 2010
Apple is famous for one price fits all. How about a reversal? Apple agrees to the same terms as Microsoft did for ESPN, etc. If content providers want a lot, AppleTV can charge users appropriately. If content providers give it away for ad revenue only, users get it for free. What I don't like is paying for satellite TV and then having to slog trough all the advertisements. That is the worst of both worlds.

OriginalMacRat

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2007
Get in the game CBS

CBS needs to stop trying to be their own gateway and just put their programming on Hulu already.

herocero

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2003
down on the upside
cable operators need to get smart

CBS/Viacom, Universal, News Corp. If all three said, "We'll charge you $50 a month to stream all of our content with or without a cable subscription" I promise you Verizon, Time Warner, Comcast, etc. would all collectively jump off a bridge. Their only hope is to make the kind of deals with Apple/Smart TV manufacturers that they did with MS for Xbox, provide the content to the device so long as you have a subscription (the current status quo for streaming watchESPN.com, NBC Olympics, HBO Go, etc.). If CBS signs up for this incumbent telcos will fight TOOTH AND NAIL to avoid their Internet services becoming dumb pipes at the expense of their cable TV business.

DBDukes

macrumors newbie
Feb 20, 2012
So, how much is Microsoft paying them? I was reminded that you can watch CBS shows on Windows Media Center. Must be a sweetheart deal they have with that little software company in Redmond.

Ieo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I've said it dozens of times....until the Apple TV is opened up to the app store, It's a no-go for me. Without access to the app store, the AppleTV is missing a lot of content my Roku gives me access to like Crackle, Plex, and much more. I don't want anything that's not already available on the app store to the rest of iOS...I just want it on my TV without having to take up my ipad to airplay it.

If the Apple TV were opened up to the apple store (and my favorite apps were available, which I don't see why they wouldn't be)...I would buy 3 of them in a heartbeat. I know MANY, MANY other people who would do the same.

Oh, and make a different remote. The little aluminum sliver doesn't cut it as a remote for a primary entertainment device. At least give me something a little bigger so it isn't CONSTANTLY lost, with programable volume and power buttons to have at least basic control over other parts of my setup.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Wow. So, a couple of years ago, a huge group of people had a high cable/sat bill and everyone involved got rich. Now, there is competition from the internet - namely Netflix, YouTube, Amazon, Hule and so on - and people start to select their services somewhere else. Major networks though still want to sell their bundles - hence the conditions - so they get the bigger chunk of the people's money. Nice try.
I see this going into one of two directions: Either the internet will force them to more affordable prices or we will get bundled to and forced to buy stuff we don't want if we want to see any content at all.

iSRS

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2010
Isn't content already in iTunes?

If you really want their content on the Apple TV, there are ways now. Plus, with Mountain Lion (on a newer Mac, yes, but at some point more people will have capable machines), it is almost a non issue.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
The only time I watch CBS is during Football season. Beyond that, their shows aren't that great. Two and half Men...really? Let it go...

class77

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I want to know the reasoning behind HBO Go allowing access from Roku and iPad app, but not allowing it from ATV. You have to have a subscription to HBO anyway, so what's the problem

emaja

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2005
Chicago, IL
Oh, and make a different remote. The little aluminum sliver doesn't cut it as a remote for a primary entertainment device. At least give me something a little bigger so it isn't CONSTANTLY lost, with programable volume and power buttons to have at least basic control over other parts of my setup.

Harmony One, my friend. Harmony One.

Everyone I know who has a home theater has a universal remote of some kind.

apernett

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

With the recent addition of Hulu Plus to the Apple TV platform, analysts are thinking of other video content that could be making its way to the product. Over the years, Apple has updated the Apple TV's software several times, occasionally adding new video content. In 2011, Apple added support for Vimeo, streaming NHL games, and Wall Street Journal videos.

As noticed by All Things D, from a Seeking Alpha transcript, CBS CEO Les Moonves answered an analyst's question yesterday about offering CBS content on the Apple TV platform in the future:
Perhaps the biggest competitor to the Apple TV's video streaming is from Microsoft's Xbox 360. The video gaming box has transitioned in recent years to much more of a content device, with Microsoft adding support for video content from Netflix, Hulu, ESPN, Comcast and Verizon FiOS. It is easy to see how adding those last three to the Apple TV could vastly expand the demand for Apple's set-top box, though the sticking point will be how to compensate both Apple and content providers.

Image from Sami

Article Link: CBS Open to Talks on Apple TV, Depending on "What We Get Paid"

Translation: in our terms. Not Apple's

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
Translation: in our terms. Not Apple's

Translation 2: we make all the content, we are the most watched netwotk in the nation, ( you don't even need cable. They do over the air in HD and sd ). Our parent company viacom is the largest media company in the country. You do it on our terms or you donr get our comtent.

Make no mistake, CBS holds the cards in this deal. Not apple.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
I've said it dozens of times....until the Apple TV is opened up to the app store, It's a no-go for me. Without access to the app store, the AppleTV is missing a lot of content my Roku gives me access to like Crackle, Plex, and much more. I don't want anything that's not already available on the app store to the rest of iOS...I just want it on my TV without having to take up my ipad to airplay it.

It would be nice to have the AppleTV open to apps; but iTunes streaming works well enough that I don't miss Plex (each has its strong points, and both have similar shortcomings). And we've found AirPlay to actually be very handy - it's more useful than I'd initially thought it would be.

dolph0291

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2011

That's your opinion. The little remote is perfect for me. My TV has a humongous remote that can control cable boxes, DVD players, lord know what else, but none of which I have. I use three buttons on it: power, volume up/down. The little silver remote for controlling my content is brilliant.

jasonv1

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2009
Same goes for me.

The Roku offers me more than anything else, and it works very well. If you don't see channels you like offered through the "official" Roku store, you can use Roku "private" channels that can provide just about anything. Add to that a PlayOn server (which can stream to the Roku) and you can get almost anything you want including streaming media from sources on your home network.

I understand that Apple is doing what makes sense for them, I just think they could be doing better. Of course if they are making a tidy profit selling you content through Apple TV boxes I guess it doesn't matter what I think.

I'll be anxious to see what media deals they work out when the TV's launch.

If the Apple TV were opened up to the apple store (and my favorite apps were available, which I don't see why they wouldn't be)...I would buy 3 of them in a heartbeat. I know MANY, MANY other people who would do the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.