Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple.pro points [Google translation] to several images posted to Chinese microblogging site Sina Weibo showing what is claimed to be the rear shell of the "iPad mini". We certainly can not speak definitively to the authenticity of the images, and anything posted randomly to a microblogging site is clearly suspect until additional supporting evidence is discovered, but we have elected to share these images on our blog page for interest and discussion.

Click for larger
Notably, the rear shell does not contain a hole for a rear camera. Cases for the rumored device have been showing a rear camera, although those too must be taken with a grain of salt until additional parts evidence surfaces.

Click for larger
The user who posted the images has no track record of previous posts on the service, and thus there is no history by which to judge the accuracy of the claimed photos, and they are presumed to be fakes. Consequently, we are simply presenting them for documentation and discussion.

Article Link: Sketchy Photos of Claimed 'iPad Mini' Rear Shell Show No Camera Hole

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London
This could be any square piece of metal with a sharpied Apple logo on. They look really fake. I'd be shocked if Apple launched a tablet without a camera on at this stage of the game.

UnSainted

macrumors member
Jan 23, 2008
DFW, Texas
camera

Do the other $299 range tablets ...Kindle etc.. have cameras? I can see them doing this to keep costs down but it sort of seems cheap-ish to not include a camera..

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
I'm not sure how far Apple is willing to go to keep the cost of the device as low as possible (to be competitive with cheaper Android Tabs), but I would like to think that they would integrate a basic 'iPad 2' type camera. If it had a front facing camera, I suppose it would be better than none at all. =D

timshundo

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
San Francisco, CA
This could be any square piece of metal with a sharpied Apple logo on. They look really fake. I'd be shocked if Apple launched a tablet without a camera on at this stage of the game.

The insides of the shell seem fairly accurate though. It has room for what looks like would be the new dock connector.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
I highly doubt it won't have a camera. If this is part of an "iPad mini," it may be an earlier prototype part.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Do we really need a camera on the back?

taking-pictures-with-ipad.jpg

GoreVidal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2011
They've gotta give buyers a reason to upgrade to the next iPad mini somehow...

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
Why would buy an Ipad mini when the chances are you can get the Ipad 1second hand for less? More so if it does have no camera or retina? :eek:

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
The insides of the shell seem fairly accurate though. It has room for what looks like would be the new dock connector.

And it looks small like the one on the supposedly leaked iPhone parts. Also, if Apple puts in a good enough front camera, it would be sufficient and leave more room for batteries. The High Def back camera is probably one of the more costly parts anyways. To compete and make a good chunk of money, the rear camera might have been scratched. But who knows. For fakes though, these pieces are quite complicated. If I would fake something, it wouldn't be that sophisticated.

drewisanapple

macrumors regular
Jun 3, 2011
Missouri
I see them introducing it with an 8-megapixel camera on the back, iPhone with a 12-megapixel. That seems like the best options. It'll land them over the Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire, and could be cost effect at that point, they've bought a lot of them by now. It's the best step to take. The camera alone would be why I bought it over those other tablets.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Why would buy an Ipad mini when the chances are you can get the Ipad 1second hand for less? More so if it does have no camera or retina? :eek:

I'm sure there are tons of reasons for that. I'm sure the iPad mini will have a much better processor, more ram, and a higher amount of pixels per inch.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
edited image out. Work filter blocked image I believe I am re-posting

Last edited:

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
frankly this could be anything. Sorta looks like the rear of an iPod classic painted with some sort of matte silver paint and a Apple stuck or drawn onto it, not really difficult to make. There is also no sense of scale in the photo, again indicating it could be iPod sized.

My say

its fake

leukotriene

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2008
If this is the iPad Mini, then the chassis is not a 4:3 object like the current iPad. Which means that if the resolution of the display remains at 4:3 (1024x768), then the bezel must be thinner on the sides, and fatter on the top and bottom, probably because the width of a device is the most important factor for pocketability (not how tall it is).

Last edited:

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
yeah cuz an iPod Touch would have an camera but not the iPad Mini. riiiiiiight. dont see that happening. especially with apple trying to push Facetime forward

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012

except thats about all thats in there. in every ipad casing to date there have been screw mounts on the floor of the casing and i see nothing of the sort. plus it looks too elongated for a 3:4 screen ration

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.