Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
1) Non-Java VM based OS, Android should be C-based.
2) Find My Android should be built in like find my iPhone.
3) Google needs to force every appmaker to make their apps Holo-compliant like Apple forces app makers to adhere to design standards.
4) Google Talk should act more like iMessage and allow me to send pictures/location/video.

That's about it for me.

Last edited:

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
What you said

+Real shortcuts for the keyboard.
+App selection

I can't think of much else software-wise honestly. If you want to talk hardware too, I wouldn't mind a sexier more premium build quality feel. HTC One X has the right idea, hardware-wise.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
What you said

+Real shortcuts for the keyboard.
+App selection

I can't think of much else software-wise honestly. If you want to talk hardware too, I wouldn't mind a sexier more premium build quality feel. HTC One X has the right idea, hardware-wise.
App selection? Meaning you want more Apps? That can only come if Android is restructured to avoid piracy like iOS is.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I want whatever needs to happen to have developers care as much about Android apps (attention to detail), as they do about iOS apps.

I want Android phones to get updates straight from the developers like the iPhone and Gnexus gets. Basically ******* the carriers imo.

Thats it for me so far.

murphychris

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2012
App selection? Meaning you want more Apps? That can only come if Android is restructured to avoid piracy like iOS is.

iOS is only incidentally avoiding piracy by virtue of having a single store, and for users to have choice, they have to jailbreak which opens up many other possibilities including higher malware potential. Android offers other choices from the outset. Piracy is a problem on both platform, according to developers who make apps for both.

I want Android phones to get updates straight from the developers like the iPhone and Gnexus gets. Basically ******* the carriers imo.

I don't think that's going to happen, ever. The carriers want some differentiation in their OEM'd hardware they sell, including badging. And there are now so many different devices that inherently some of them are going to be left behind by design. Google can't maintain monolithic code base for all of this hardware, effectively it's up to manufacturers to provide their own forked code and maintain it - or not. And the or not is pretty common, but the model is still successful.

A significant percent of the market doesn't care at all about constant mobile OS updates. If it's an important feature, then for now it seems one buys a Google branded Nexus device, which get updates rather quickly (I got 4.1.1 on my Galaxy Nexus maybe two weeks after Jelly Bean was announced); or you get an iOS device.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Higher quality apps and no piracy, smoothness and fluidity like iOS, more consistent software updates, phones supported with updates for at least 3 years, better customer support by Google and each manufacturer (open stores like Apple)

Then I would switch.

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Higher quality apps and no piracy, smoothness and fluidity like iOS, more consistent software updates, phones supported with updates for at least 3 years, better customer support by Google and each manufacturer (open stores like Apple)

Then I would switch.

Android is already ahead thanks to project butter. More fast and fluid.

I would like android to become a little bit prettier on the eyes, just like iOS.

And the HTML mails to be fixed.

Dontazemebro

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2010
I dunno, somewhere in West Texas
I've read a lot of things saying while in some places it's smooth, it still stutters in other places.

Both os's still stutter in places. Just a minute ago I was switching from the front camera to the rear camera on my iphone 4 and it literally took almost 5 secs to do the little shutter animation swap over.

Running iOS 5 on the iPhone 4 has been less than impressive for me. My Inspire 4G was even snappier than this.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
Both os's still stutter in places. Just a minute ago I was switching from the front camera to the rear camera on my iphone 4 and it literally took almost 5 secs to do the little shutter animation swap over.

Running iOS 5 on the iPhone 4 has been less than impressive for me. My Inspire 4G was even snappier than this.

I love my daily force closures on my non-jailbroken 64gb iPad2 on iOS 5.1.1, of which I am only using 12gb! Yep, iOS is sure is stable and smooth! Safari is one of the main culprits.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I love my daily force closures on my non-jailbroken 64gb iPad2 on iOS 5.1.1, of which I am only using 12gb! Yep, iOS is sure is stable and smooth! Safari is one of the main culprits.

YMMV. I probably run into maybe 1 or 2 crashes every few months but I generally don't.

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
YMMV. I probably run into maybe 1 or 2 crashes every few months but I generally don't.

I'm hoping ios6 cures the issue. It pisses me off even more when out of no where and for no reason my ipad resprings. I originally thought I was having the issues because I had it jailbroken and using up about 50gb with movies, tv shows and apps, but even getting rid of all that and resetting back to stock didn't cure the issue.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
I'm hoping ios6 cures the issue. It pisses me off even more when out of no where and for no reason my ipad resprings. I originally thought I was having the issues because I had it jailbroken and using up about 50gb with movies, tv shows and apps, but even getting rid of all that and resetting back to stock didn't cure the issue.

Do you regularly clear your multitasking tray? I know that can lead to the device slowing down slightly, especially when all the RAM is being used.

Ddyracer

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2009
1) Non-Java VM based OS, Android should be C-based.
2) Find My Android should be built in like find my iPhone.
3) Google needs to force every appmaker to make their apps Holo-compliant like Apple forces app makers to adhere to design standards.
4) Google Talk should act more like iMessage and allow me to send pictures/location/video.

That's about it for me.

• Better Multitaksing {ios too their both still not true}

• Fluidity and better touch response
With jelly Bean it's getting very close to ios in terms of fluidity. But the touch is still a little unresponsive compared to ios.

• Scaled apps need to go.
This I think is more of a problem on tablets then the phones. Many apps look stretched or low res.

• Skins and updates
I don't want to root just to get rid of this. How about the ability to uninstall it, whether it's Touchwiz, HTC sense or whatever.

Another thing is that with these devices it takes forever for updates to come to the handset. I don't want to wait that long. Let me get the Jelly Bean update right when it's available.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Just like my iPad 1 always stutters when going to the search zone. Or whenever I do heavy stuff in ibooks.

It's inevitable when the iPad 1 has 256MB of RAM and a single core processor. I believe the stuttering is a software issue and not hardware because even the new iPad does this.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Android is already ahead thanks to project butter. More fast and fluid.

I would like android to become a little bit prettier on the eyes, just like iOS.

And the HTML mails to be fixed.
Um, no. It's not ahead of Apple there. It's good enough for every phone user, yes, but its not good enough to be better than Apple or even equal to Apple.

Android needs to be revamped as a C-based OS for that to happen.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Android needs to be revamped as a C-based OS for that to happen.

Not at all. Davlik has nothing to do with Android's "fluidity" problems. And forcing devs to use a language which compiles to machine code will hurt Android's app portability. It's thanks to Davlik and the fact that most of the apps avoid the NDK that Android can run on many CPU architecutres including ARM and x86.

Anyway, with JIT compilation, there is almost no performance difference between the C language and Java language. It's all highly optimized native code once it actually hits the CPU/GPU.

Android's problem remains the fact that some operations are still not offloaded to the CPU for rendering. iOS makes no compromise here.

NbinHD

macrumors 6502

Then I would switch.

Google should just ban all of the company's making there own themes and just leave it pure Android. That will help stop the fragmentation and help with the software update. Which I personally believe is the nicest version of Android, and that coming from a Apple fan boy.

entatlrg

macrumors 68040
Mar 2, 2009
Waterloo & Georgian Bay, Canada

'daily'? ... That's very hard to believe ... Your iPad must be defective ... If so, thanks to Apple's stellar service they'll look after you.

We have many 2nd and 3rd gen iPads in our offices and in the field, none require 'daily' force closure's, not even weekly, or monthly for that matter, lol.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jun 22, 2010
Not at all. Davlik has nothing to do with Android's "fluidity" problems. And forcing devs to use a language which compiles to machine code will hurt Android's app portability. It's thanks to Davlik and the fact that most of the apps avoid the NDK that Android can run on many CPU architecutres including ARM and x86.

Anyway, with JIT compilation, there is almost no performance difference between the C language and Java language. It's all highly optimized native code once it actually hits the CPU/GPU.

Android's problem remains the fact that some operations are still not offloaded to the CPU for rendering. iOS makes no compromise here.
Why doesn't Google do the same with those operations then?

Mac.World

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2011
In front of uranus
'daily'? ... That's very hard to believe ... Your iPad must be defective ... If so, thanks to Apple's stellar service they'll look after you.

We have many 2nd and 3rd gen iPads in our offices and in the field, none require 'daily' force closure's, not even weekly, or monthly for that matter, lol.

Yeah, I doubt it. I have had my ipad2 for over a year without issue. Even jailbroken it was fine. Ever since 5.1.1 I have had issues. Random resprings and fc's. Just waiting for ios6 to come out and I can upgrade.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.