Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
There is so much love for the Real Racing titles @ MacRumors and the sister site touchArcade.com. Maybe it's even worth mentioning that the Mac version of Real Racing 2 (AppShopper link) is one of the few games already fit for the brand new MacBook Pro Retina display (updated a few days ago for native 2880x1800 resolution). Watch the app activity. Maybe I'll buy it when it's down to five bucks again (I've put it on my AppShopper wishlist).

But MR & tA are completely ignoring the better racing game. It's the new and excellent Asphalt 7: Heat by Gameloft (AppShopper link). It's more an arcade racer than RR (being more a simulator). For some friends and me it's simply the best video game of all time and of all consumer software platforms (last but not least because of the advanced local multiplayer options).

mza_8630786246188424608.480x480-75.jpg

In A7 you have the best super cars, the prettiest and most exotic tracks, the highest speed feeling, awesome jumps and the most exciting action. You don't drive on flavorless racing tracks but on public streets in real cities during the urban rush hour. You drive through water in a river bed (Los Angeles). There are hidden shortcuts to explore in Miami. Have a trippy groundflight through New York, Havannah, Hawaii, London, Nassau, New Orleans (now better weather conditions as in Asphalt 6/2010, night race), Paris, Rio and other places.

Don't miss the YouTube videos: Launch Trailer, Trailer, German-language preview, Gameloft interviews the game designer.

Most visually stunning! (Download high-res screenshot.)

The game mechanics (controls, gameplay, career mode) are superb! The difficulty is very well balanced (one of the BIG flaws in Real Racing 2 when we last played it). Really challenging in the later leagues. We are playing A7 for hours, days and weeks. Literally. Two friends bought an iPad 3 because they saw and wanted Asphalt 7.

And no, I am not the developer, and I am not affiliated with Gameloft in any way. But I tested and reviewed about 6,000 iOS games and own other hardware consoles (I have ALL the high quality racers). Just saying: Asphalt 7 is the best game for action fans. Period.

Prove my statement. Try it, it's only $.99 (unbelievable price I know, it's a steal). File size after install: 1.4 GB (never regretted one byte). There are "In-App Purchases" for real money but they are completely optional, you won't need them at all to finish the game.

Have a list of the cars here.

lamborghiniaventadorasp.png

touchArcade—a site where I am a regular in the forums and believe it's a very good site otherways—didn't even mention or publish a short editor's review of Asphalt 7: Heat until now. :-( There is only an unmoderated thread in the forum that's almost ruined by a troll. Something I really don't understand. "Keeping you in touch with the latest in iOS gaming" but they are ¡¡¡completely missing the best part of iOS gaming!!!

Don't get me wrong. Real Racing is not bad, it's technically up to date and looks pretty. But compared to the Asphalt series it's just boring.

Meet somebody with an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch and enjoy some A7 local multiplayer races via Bluetooth. Via WiFi you can even add a Mac (Asphalt 6: Adrenaline) to multiplayer! This was introduced in the most recent Apple event as "a new Mountain Lion feature via Game Center" but with Asphalt 6: Adrenaline it works since a couple of months, Mr. Cook! (To be exactly: Since more than a year. Learn something about the Apple devices!)

"Hope you like to get high", the lady says on introducing the snowy and sun flooded Chamonix track in A6. :cool:

Endless replay fun. Always new situations. Fight on the sofa. That's PURE iOS power believe me, much more fun than all that online stuff! Let those Android devices look even older than usual (there is Asphalt for Android but no local bluetooth multiplayer and only low res). A complete new gaming experience, a real social event. Feels a lot more direct and natural than those classic console multiplayer modes with their crappy split screen display on a distant monitor and a bunch of cables.

BTW 1080p video out via HDMI adapter or AirPlay/Apple TV is a technically interesting feature and works fine with RR and Asphalt (tested with Apple TV 2, 720p)—but it's completely useless for racer fans if you ask me. It's TEN times better to have this sophisticated steering wheel/wind shield combination just in front of your nose (with retina resolution) than looking on a distant monitor with split screen (if local multiplayer). Without ANY cable. Very Applesque. Very elegant.

The iOS devices don't have the need for being "console-like", they are better anyway. At least for action and racer games like Asphalt 7: Heat.

And now: Burn the street!

Last edited:

OliverOSX93

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Accrington
This is the part where EA ***** the franchise over. Expect everything to be IAP and get ready to be bugged to share everything with your 'friends'

pipa

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2008
Bitcoin City
There is so much love for the Real Racing titles @ MacRumors and the sister site touchArcade.com. Maybe it's even worth mentioning that the Mac version of Real Racing 2 (AppShopper link) is one of the few games already fit for the brand new MacBook Pro Retina display (updated a few days ago for native 2880x1800 resolution). Watch the app activity. Maybe I'll buy it when it's down to five bucks again (I've put it on my AppShopper wishlist).

But MR & tA are completely ignoring the better racing game. It's the new and excellent Asphalt 7: Heat by Gameloft (AppShopper link). It's more an arcade racer than RR (being more a simulator). For some friends and me it's simply the best video game of all time and of all consumer software platforms (last but not least because of the advanced local multiplayer options).

In A7 you have the best super cars, the prettiest and most exotic tracks, the highest speed feeling, awesome jumps and the most exciting action. You don't drive on flavorless racing tracks but on public streets in real cities during the urban rush hour. You drive through water in a river bed (Los Angeles). There are hidden shortcuts to explore in Miami. Have a trippy groundflight through New York, Havannah, Hawaii, London, Nassau, New Orleans (now better weather conditions as in Asphalt 6/2010, night race), Paris, Rio and other places.

Don't miss the YouTube videos: Launch Trailer, Trailer, German-language preview, Gameloft interviews the game designer.

The game mechanics (controls, gameplay, career mode) are superb! The difficulty is very well balanced (one of the BIG flaws in Real Racing 2 when we last played it). Really challenging in the later leagues. We are playing A7 for hours, days and weeks. Literally. Two friends bought an iPad 3 because they saw and wanted Asphalt 7.

And no, I am not the developer, and I am not affiliated with Gameloft in any way. But I tested and reviewed about 6,000 iOS games and own other hardware consoles (I have ALL the high quality racers). Just saying: Asphalt 7 is the best game for action fans. Period.

Prove my statement. Try it, it's only $.99 (unbelievable price I know, it's a steal). File size after install: 1.4 GB (never regretted one byte). There are "In-App Purchases" for real money but they are completely optional, you won't need them at all to finish the game.

touchArcade—a site where I am a regular in the forums and believe it's a very good site otherways—didn't even mention or publish a short editor's review of Asphalt 7: Heat until now. :-( There is only an unmoderated thread in the forum that's almost ruined by a troll. Something I really don't understand. "Keeping you in touch with the latest in iOS gaming" but they are ¡¡¡completely missing the best part of iOS gaming!!!

Don't get me wrong. Real Racing is not bad, it's technically up to date and looks pretty. But compared to the Asphalt series it's just boring.

Meet somebody with an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch and enjoy some A7 local multiplayer races via Bluetooth. Via WiFi you can even add a Mac (Asphalt 6: Adrenaline) to multiplayer! This was introduced in the most recent Apple event as "a new Mountain Lion feature via Game Center" but with Asphalt 6: Adrenaline it works since a couple of months, Mr. Cook! (To be exactly: Since more than a year. Learn something about the Apple devices!)

"Hope you like to get high", the lady says on introducing the snowy and sun flooded Chamonix track in A6. :cool:

Endless replay fun. Always new situations. Fight on the sofa. That's PURE iOS power believe me, much more fun than all that online stuff! Let those Android devices look even older than usual (there is Asphalt for Android but no local bluetooth multiplayer and only low res). A complete new gaming experience, a real social event. Feels a lot more direct and natural than those classic console multiplayer modes with their crappy split screen display on a distant monitor and a bunch of cables.

BTW 1080p video out via HDMI adapter or AirPlay/Apple TV is a technically interesting feature and works fine with RR and Asphalt (tested with Apple TV 2, 720p)—but it's completely useless for racer fans if you ask me. It's TEN times better to have this sophisticated steering wheel/wind shield combination just in front of your nose (with retina resolution) than looking on a distant monitor with split screen (if local multiplayer). Without ANY cable. Very Applesque. Very elegant.

The iOS devices don't have the need for being "console-like", they are better anyway. At least for action and racer games like Asphalt 7: Heat.

It's great to see gamelofts CEO posting on this site. Welcome. Smfh.

Foamdo

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012

I like asphalt 7 also, but there is a huge flaw that has not been addressed or fixed. AirPlay mirroring feature is broken, it stutters every few seconds making the game unplayable. I know the game is designed to do this as the device becomes the controller. Compare AirPlay mirroring on asphalt vs real racing. Real racing is buttery smooth in comparison.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Now if they added support to use the iPhone as a controller for the iPad they'd have a real winner!

Agreed.

If I could have a system where I could put the pov on my tv with a map on my iPad and my iPhone is my controller AND I'm playing my roommate who is in the room, my brother in the UK and our cousin in NYC via GC and all 4 are on my tv screen, I'm in.

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
<snip>
<snip>

I usually don't comment on iOS game stories, but actually there are people on this planet that don't like Arcade racers (me included).

And sorry I may be spoilt by Forza4 (running on a 5 year old architecture) - but you call this ****** Lambo model visually stunning?

I have to acknowledge that the Porsche model looks good though, but your screenshot - gimme a break. That one looks like a polished up PS2 shot.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
I like asphalt 7 also, but there is a huge flaw that has not been addressed or fixed. AirPlay mirroring feature is broken, it stutters every few seconds making the game unplayable. I know the game is designed to do this as the device becomes the controller. Compare AirPlay mirroring on asphalt vs real racing. Real racing is buttery smooth in comparison.

We tried video out w an Apple TV 2 for some minutes and had no complaints technically. But—as said before—we are never using it.

I really, really don't like the UI of the Asphalt

What's so bad about the UI? The placement of the control buttons during racing?

and it's so unrealistic that it makes the RR better.

As I said before: Asphalt is more an arcade racer and RR is more a simulator.

I usually don't comment on iOS game stories, but actually there are people on this planet that don't like Arcade racers (me included).

Sorry for those people.

And sorry I may be spoilt by Forza4 (running on a 5 year old architecture) - but you call this ****** Lambo model visually stunning?
I have to acknowledge that the Porsche model looks good though, but your screenshot - gimme a break. That one looks like a polished up PS2 shot.

I like the visuals in A7, yes. And who cares about static screenshots? You have to get a feeling for the game in motion.

iKwick7

macrumors 65816
Dec 29, 2004
The Wood of Spots, NJ
There is so much love for the Real Racing titles @ MacRumors and the sister site touchArcade.com. Maybe it's even worth mentioning that the Mac version of Real Racing 2 (AppShopper link) is one of the few games already fit for the brand new MacBook Pro Retina display (updated a few days ago for native 2880x1800 resolution). Watch the app activity. Maybe I'll buy it when it's down to five bucks again (I've put it on my AppShopper wishlist)......

Wow nice advertising there buddy.

Foamdo

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
We tried video out w an Apple TV 2 for some minutes and had no complaints technically. But—as said before—we are never using it.

Im talking wireless airplay mirroring, not plugging in...I think it worked well originally and one of the early updates broke the feature. now it's consistently stuttery as soon as the race loads. I personally prefer the arcade racer style with power ups, but I play rr cause the AirPlay mirroring is so smooth.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011

Wow did you make asphalt or something?

swagi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
As I said before: Asphalt is more an arcade racer and RR is more a simulator.

Sorry for those people.

I like the visuals in A7, yes. And who cares about static screenshots? You have to get a feeling for the game in motion.

When I'm in the mood for an Arcade racer I'd rather fire up "Blur" on the XBox360. Actually I think you either go the simulation route (wow - I spent hours in Forza and if I had the time I'd also dive into Gran Turismo on the PS3) or you have a "fighting Arcade racer" like the good old Mario Kart.

Blur was quite a nice franchise having included weapons in the game. Alas it wasn't that successful, but I still fire it up sometimes if I'm in the mood for Arcade racing.

Don't know if Asphalt offers weapons and online multiplaying - but that may be a route for you to go if you want to further dive down into Arcade.

Sylon

macrumors 68020
Feb 26, 2012
Michigan/Ohio, USA
I loved RR2 so much I bought it for my iPad 3 and MBP. But I really like playing it on my MBP instead of my iPad, bigger screen, stationary screen, and I can use my iPhone as a controller. I love this feature, although I wish it used a dedicated app instead of Safari. The game motion is so smooth on the MBP.

RR3 seems to include the 2 things I wanted most in this series: real tracks and more cars. Although this trailer just focuses on Porsche, I hope more cars make an appearance, like Ferrari, Lambo, etc.

Habakuk

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2007
Vienna Austria Europe
It's great to see gamelofts CEO posting on this site. Welcome. Smfh.

Wow nice advertising there buddy.

Wow did you make asphalt or something?

Wow. Did you folks even try to read my posting? I hate it to quote myself:

And no, I am not the developer, and I am not affiliated with Gameloft in any way.

Sorry but English is not my native language. Is there something not clear in that sentence? If yes please ask again.

It's a pure fanboy posting. Nothing less and nothing more. My favorite game. I'll never delete Asphalt 6 and Asphalt 7 from my iDevices. And I have 450+ GB of iOS games in my iTunes archive. Sane over.

Im talking wireless airplay mirroring, not plugging in...

Sorry that I missed to point that out. I was talking about wireless too (I said Apple TV).

I tried it extra for you right now once more: iPad 3, Apple TV 2 (720p), Loewe TV set, Apple AirPort Extreme 5 GHz. Asphalt 7 works as well as Real Racing 2 HD, maybe RR has a slightly higher frame rate on the TV, but that's pretty easy to understand because it's so SLOW compared to the frantic action in Asphalt 7. In both of them there are occasional freezes (don't affect gameplay too much) in this special "console mode".

Sorry if it doesn't work so fine for you. I heard that there will be a first update of Asphalt 7 soon. They care about their prime software. (And there are some more glitches I could talk of.)

The display on iPad (Asphalt 7) with TV Out for those of you who are interested (on the TV you have the 3D track view; I could win easily a quick nightly race in my first attempt):

asphalt7tvoutmodeipad3.png

Spartan Real Racing 2 HD on iPad 3 w TV out:

rr2tvoutmodeipad3.png

(I hope they will spice up those graphics a bit in RR3. :rolleyes:)

Once more I am convinced after that short test that I don't like to play Asphalt (or RR) in "console mode" (TV out wired or wireless) AT ALL. As said already before: It's much more direct and "live" when you have this genious "viewing and controlling wheel" with retina display and 60 frames per second in your hands. Can't live without it. Much more realistic than viewing a TV.

Enjoy it and use TV Out if you want, it works technically pretty well with iOS racer games (set up in less than 20 sec without any hassles and without any cables), but all of my local friends here prefer to play it direct on iPad or iPhone without any TV set in the distance. Static monitors are computer museum history. Hence, you can play bluetooth multiplayer even in a house boat where is no WiFi or 3G anywhere (or in a little distant hut in the alps what we did already).

Don't know if Asphalt offers weapons

Thanks god NO! It's PURE racing! The supercars are weapons enough.

and online multiplaying

Of course Asphalt has rock solid online multiplaying since three years or so. Asphalt 7 has even advanced online mp with several racing types, tracks and cars to choose from.

The software is very polished. Look at the app activity of the "old" Asphalt 6 (AppShopper link), they are updating it (pretty unusual for Gameloft) reliably.

- but that may be a route for you to go if you want to further dive down into Arcade.

Thanks. I know them briefly. We all here (local friends and me) prefer to play local multiplayer Asphalt 7. BY FAR! Better gaming experience than split screen on a TV.

Foamdo

macrumors newbie
Aug 3, 2012
Sorry that I missed to point that out. I was talking about wireless too (I said Apple TV).

I tried it extra for you right now once more: iPad 3, Apple TV 2 (720p), Loewe TV set, Apple AirPort Extreme 5 GHz. Asphalt 7 works as well as Real Racing 2 HD, maybe RR has a slightly higher frame rate on the TV, but that's pretty easy to understand because it's so SLOW compared to the frantic action in Asphalt 7. In both of them there are occasional freezes (don't affect gameplay too much) in this special "console mode".

Sorry if it doesn't work so fine for you. I heard that there will be a first update of Asphalt 7 soon. They care about their prime software. (And there are some more glitches I could talk of.)

Only difference for me is a Philips tv and iPhone 4s, not iPad...I'm thinking the latter is it...looking forward to the update, hopefully it will be fixed

twigman08

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2012
Game studios often have non professional sounding names. That is just the nature of the business....
Rockstar Games
Spicy Horse
Sky Monkey Studios
Supervillian studios
Double Fine
Naughty Dog

Just to name a few. :D

That's the gaming industry for you. Heck the gaming industry is "unprofessional" even in interviews compared to most other industries. Most other industries you look really nice going to an interview you look your best. You ask most game development companies, they actually want you to wear every day clothes. Hell some companies will "take off" on your interview if you dress too nice. They see it as you won't fit in with the company. They want you to dress as if you were coming into work every day. Which in the game industry you'd be wearing just regular flip flops, some pants and a shirt.

verniesgarden

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2007
Saint Louis, Mo
The display on iPad (Asphalt 7) with TV Out for those of you who are interested (on the TV you have the 3D track view; I could win easily a quick nightly race in my first attempt):

Spartan Real Racing 2 HD on iPad 3 w TV out:

(I hope they will spice up those graphics a bit in RR3. :rolleyes:)
holy crap RR2 looks so much better than A7, A7 looks like a cheesy bad cheap GPS app, it's all flash and no worth, RR2 shows you the information that you need, and elegantly.
Thanks god NO! It's PURE racing! The supercars are weapons enough.
seriously? saying "PURE RACING" puts you back to simulator, and as you said RR2 is a simulator, and is a better one at that

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
I'm not sure if EA's monopoly over Porsches is over, but if not, I guess this is the good thing that came out of their purchase of FireMint

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.