Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Of course Apple will demand the lions share of the revenue. CBS should tell them to take a hike.

Absolutely. I love being stuck paying exorbitant amounts of money for near-worthless content because the content providers are adamant in their antiquity. There's no need for them to reform, improve, or in any way change their pricing structure to better suit the needs of consumers, right?

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
CBS, the company that aired Star Trek...

Does this mean that there will be free Star Trek on the Apple TV? It's free on CBS.com.

----------

Let's see, there is a high supply of different media players and a low supply of mainstream media. What I mean is that Apple, MS, Google, and countless others have media boxes, but certain media is only released by a few companies.

Hopefully Apple will realize this and not do its usual "We made the market, so you pay to play." thing. This is not like the iPod or Mac. They can always turn to more lenient media centers.

----------

I've said it dozens of times....until the Apple TV is opened up to the app store, It's a no-go for me. Without access to the app store, the AppleTV is missing a lot of content my Roku gives me access to like Crackle, Plex, and much more. I don't want anything that's not already available on the app store to the rest of iOS...I just want it on my TV without having to take up my ipad to airplay it.

If the Apple TV were opened up to the apple store (and my favorite apps were available, which I don't see why they wouldn't be)...I would buy 3 of them in a heartbeat. I know MANY, MANY other people who would do the same.

Oh, and make a different remote. The little aluminum sliver doesn't cut it as a remote for a primary entertainment device. At least give me something a little bigger so it isn't CONSTANTLY lost, with programable volume and power buttons to have at least basic control over other parts of my setup.

I strongly agree about the App Store, but only certain apps would work of course. I actually use a universal remote for my Apple TV, which I use very rarely. It was only $5 at Radioshack on clearance, and it's very nice with light-up buttons and high-end plastic. I also use it for my speakers, TV, and DVD player.

Imola Ghost

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2009
Can someone explain this...

I thought that you could essentially get CBS, FOX, ABC, etc for free with an antenna and even in HD. Why the need to be paid for it?

aaarrrgggh

macrumors regular
Jul 1, 2007
Roku

Sadly, we now have an apple tv, roku, and now cable. Got the roku since amazon had one more season of Doc Martin than Netflix.

But the problem that needs to be fixed is breaking up creation and distribution. The conglomerates inhibit change.

(I really do hate the roku though-- every aspect is cheap and clunky. Wish Amazon could be on appletv.)

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Absolutely. I love being stuck paying exorbitant amounts of money for near-worthless content because the content providers are adamant in their antiquity. There's no need for them to reform, improve, or in any way change their pricing structure to better suit the needs of consumers, right?

You'd just prefer to continue to help build the Apple monopoly? Or do you think Apple will lower the cost to benefit the consumer like they do with their other products. Oh wait, they don't do that, do they?

flux73

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2009
This would be nice, although what about content providers bandwidth caps on the internet connection they also provide you? Many of them all ready have them and others would jump on the bandwagon when they saw the opportunity to stop the movement to the Apple TV.

Not every internet provider is a content provider. If they tried to cap your internet, their customer base would bleed out even faster. In most cities, there are options for internet other than the content provider. And if there aren't, companies will rush to fill the demand.

----------

Considering the NFL just re-upped its TV contracts worth bilion dollars I doubt this will happen anytime soon and DirecTV already got in bed w/Sony to bring the NFL Sunday ticket to PSN so that route is out too.

Honestly, if NFL Network is any indication I think we'll see NFL make its own for-pay app and stream games directly to consumers across all devices before I'd see them making a deal w/another middle man like Apple, MS or Sony. Same goes for ESPN and HBO. Once their cable contracts are up I wouldn't be surprised to see a wording in a new contract that allows HBOGO (and a similar type app from ESPN) to become a paid app available to anyone. No, not everyone wants to handle their own distribution and the overhead that comes w/it but if anyone was going to do it I'd think it would be large, in demand channels like ESPN and HBO.
I agree it probably won't happen anytime soon. But I think this would be a long term strategy for Apple. They HAVE to find some way to loosen the grip of the content providers. Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Instant Video (I expect this to show up on Apple TV before the end of the year) goes a long way. But live sports is the straw that will break the camel's back, so to speak. And let's face it, contracts aren't written in stone - they can be bought with enough money. Apple has always talked about building up a war chest. What better way to use it than to buy yourself some leverage over the content providers?

----------

Can someone explain this...

I thought that you could essentially get CBS, FOX, ABC, etc for free with an antenna and even in HD. Why the need to be paid for it?
1) Not everywhere. I'm in Portland, because of the way my apartment faces, I can only get CBS and the signal keeps flickering in and out.

2) The point of watching it through Apple TV (or other TV box) is that you could select the show you want to watch, rather than having to adjust your schedule to fit the channel's programming. This is the major reason I prefer Hulu over OTA TV even if I could receive all of them.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
So, how much is Microsoft paying them? I was reminded that you can watch CBS shows on Windows Media Center. Must be a sweetheart deal they have with that little software company in Redmond.

Little?

70 Million Xbox users, couple million phone users...oh yeah, 1.25 billion windows users, I'd doubt they are small :p;)

SeattleMoose

macrumors 68000
Jul 17, 2009
Der Wald
Ironic

CBS thinks THEY are the ones with all the bargaining power. Just shows they don't see the revolution that is already happening which will eventually result in the end of the traditional TV industry.

They better BEG Apple to take them before CBS starts "running on fumes".

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I agree it probably won't happen anytime soon. But I think this would be a long term strategy for Apple. They HAVE to find some way to loosen the grip of the content providers. Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Instant Video (I expect this to show up on Apple TV before the end of the year) goes a long way. But live sports is the straw that will break the camel's back, so to speak. And let's face it, contracts aren't written in stone - they can be bought with enough money. Apple has always talked about building up a war chest. What better way to use it than to buy yourself some leverage over the content providers?
I agree that live sports, especially the NFL, is a huge draw which is all the more reason that FOX, CBS, NBC, ESPN and DirecTV aren't going to let Apple buy out their contracts (at least not for a price even Apple could afford). I also agree that content is king and right now Apple doesn't have enough exclusive content to make :apple:TV stand out from the crowd (especially since much of :apple:TV's functionality is so common now it comes standard w/internet ready TVs and Blu-ray players).

Once contracts start expiring I think we'll see a lot more diversity of program distribution.

The big question, IMO, is why would content providers want to exclusively want to deal w/Apple? Content providers don't want to be beholden to Apple the way the music industry is so any sort of exclusive buy is going to have a huge premium on it. These companies have seen the success of things like Netflix's streaming and are adjusting their prices according (Netflix's contracts w/the studios are jumping from millions to billions of dollars). Some companies, like Starz, have ended their relationship w/Netflix and presumably are going to go their own way. And why not take a stab at selling directly to the customer when it's never been easier to not need a middle man?

And just exactly what massive leverage does Apple have? There are a number of ways for CBS to stream their content such as are internet-ready TVs and Blu-ray players, Roku, Boxee, PS3, Wii/Wii U, Xbox 360, WD TV Live, Seagate GoFlex TV, Netflix, Amazon streaming...

roocka

macrumors regular
Sep 11, 2007
Indianapolis
What about a Disney channel

I thought Laurene Jobs was the largest individual shareholder of Disney. Doesn't Disney have a ton of material for their own channel? Maybe Apple should do what they did in the past and leverage Disney on the Apple TV with their own channel. This device should be a subscription model where you only pay for the channels you want.

bigcat318

macrumors 6502
Dec 25, 2007
Wow, you must have the best remote in the whole wide world. This other guy is puny and must be scolded for the fact that he has simplified his life to be able to use a cheap remote efficiently.

Or pointing out the fact that a typical home theater could have 5-8 devices and without a universal remote you are going to be juggling remotes to turn things on and off :rolleyes:

Last edited:

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
CBS thinks THEY are the ones with all the bargaining power. Just shows they don't see the revolution that is already happening which will eventually result in the end of the traditional TV industry.

Well, they create a very large majority of the content Apple is after, and as it stands, CBS goes over Sat, Cable, And Over the Air, and the net, which can reach FAR more people than what an Apple TV can.

G51989

macrumors 68030
Feb 25, 2012
NYC NY/Pittsburgh PA
First, Viacom doesn't own CBS anymore, and they haven't since 2006.

Ugh, I totally forgot about that.

As for the payment. How about Apple takes about a third of their cash reserve and buys CBS? CBS has a market cap of about $22 billion right now, give that a 33% boost for takeover and it is right about $30 billion. Which is about Apple's yearly net profits. Then again, they could simply talk to Mr. Redstone about buying his controlling share and save some dollars.

I think Apple realizes that would not be a very good buy in the sense that, I think Apple would be unable to manage a company like that. And, I could see a pretty huge conflict of interest on that, Plus I don't want Apple to ruin that company. Because they would, and you know it.

CBS may have the content now, but for how much longer?

Until someone else builds studios, gains local news stations, writers, ect ect ect. Theres a TON of infrstruce behind it. The local news stations would be the hardest thing to come by, and people who live in those cities depend on those news stations, big time. I could see tons of them jumping ship if Apple were to buy CBS.

The fact that they are trying to make all of the rules for the ballgame with some pretty big fish (Apple, Microsoft, Google, and Amazon), means that had better be a little respectful. I mean when one of these companies makes enough to buy your entire company in a single year they might just decide to replace you and make their own rules (i.e. content).

Agree 100%, but that won't happen until they can reach as many people as Sat, Cable, and over the air ( yes, its still HUGE ). The internet is massive and most people have it, but most people still depend on Cable/Sat. And tons of people depend on over the air. I don't think people really realize how big over the air still is, esp now that its available in HD, for free.

Local and the nightly news shows are also HUGE for the networks, can Apple TV replace over the air news stations? Or local news stations? No it cannot.

And for those that say it couldn't happen consider that Google, Amazon, Netflix, and Hulu are all spending some money right now on original content. Heck, Amazon has hired away some media industry bigwigs and has started their own production company already, Amazon Studios. What do you think will happen if Apple ever starts taking this seriously? Right now Apple is the network's best friend, because unlike Amazon and Google they aren't showing any interest in replacing the production companies. YET!
I could totally see that happening in the coming years/decades. And I'm all for more competition, however. The news is a big thing to, and I really don't see ANY of these companies being able to get a handle on.

Couple this with Google's impressive and intelligent play of building their own fiber network, Amazon's wireless deals with the cellular carriers for the Kindle, and the suggestion coming from a few pundits that Apple might look to buy Sprint and you are looking at a segment of the market maneuvering to completely cut the production and distribution incumbents out of the game entirely.

It is totally possible, but to reach everyone, you still need a cable network, you still need your own Sat service, and you still need over the air transmitters.

So, I think it might behoove the incumbents to take a realistic look at what the future might hold in store for them.

Its a very uncretain future, we are still far away from the net being able to replace, everything. OVer the Air being a HUGE one.

tido2012

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2010
Or we can just refuse to buy **** that we don't want. Yes I'm on strike, not that it will have any real effect on their profits. :rolleyes:

Wow. So, a couple of years ago, a huge group of people had a high cable/sat bill and everyone involved got rich. Now, there is competition from the internet - namely Netflix, YouTube, Amazon, Hule and so on - and people start to select their services somewhere else. Major networks though still want to sell their bundles - hence the conditions - so they get the bigger chunk of the people's money. Nice try.
I see this going into one of two directions: Either the internet will force them to more affordable prices or we will get bundled to and forced to buy stuff we don't want if we want to see any content at all.

jameskatt

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2008
Netflix seems to be getting my money on AppleTV

I don't know if Netflix is paying Apple a fee to be on AppleTV, but certainly my payments for the service are going directly to Netflix. And certainly Netflix is making money off of the service.

Hulu likewise is doing the same thing. The money goes to Hulu first, not to Apple.

CBC would be in the same boat.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
You'd just prefer to continue to help build the Apple monopoly? Or do you think Apple will lower the cost to benefit the consumer like they do with their other products. Oh wait, they don't do that, do they?

You're right, just like music. Before iTunes songs were much less expensive than they are now. Oh wait, that didn't happen, did it?

Last edited:

vartanarsen

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2010
Jailbreak?

hi guys, i bought ATV3 last week.
I checked the firmware and its 5.0...(must have been sitting on the shelf a while)

Anyway, i can update over the air, but i wanted to make sure before I update whether ATv3 on 5.0 is jailbreakable?
Thanks

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
You're right, just like music. Before iTunes songs were much less expensive than they are now. Oh wait, that didn't happen, did it?

Apple started iTunes to benefit themselves, not the artist or consumer as they well should as a for profit company. Fortunately for them a legion of fans fall for for whatever they do, hook, line and sinker. Right or wrong.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Apple started iTunes to benefit themselves, not the artist or consumer as they well should as a for profit company. Fortunately for them a legion of fans fall for for whatever they do, hook, line and sinker. Right or wrong.

I don't care why they did it - at least you agree that they lowered the price of music for fans. They did the same thing with mobile applications. I'll take the same thing with television, whatever their motives.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011

Really when is Apple opening up their own TV/movie production house?

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
I say screw the networks. The only way anyone is going to have success in this streaming game is to become their own network and produce their own awesome shows like HBO, Showtime, Netflix, etc. Apple should begin producing original series to release with their much rumored future AppleTV.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.