Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:51 PM   #76
Schmitty11
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kniemann View Post
Steve Jobs would never have allowed it.
I disagree. Its rumored that steve left Apple 4-5 years worth of products/product ideas. This could be one of them.
Schmitty11 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:53 PM   #77
AidenShaw
macrumors G5
 
AidenShaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: The Peninsula
Quote:
Originally Posted by osaga View Post
Issaacson related a story speaking to Steve's versatility that went something like this: Steve had a pet peacock in his yard, for some reason it bothered the neighbors, who voiced their concern to him. Steve replied that he'd found that he wasn't that fond of it either.
WTF does this have to do with the topic, or anything?
__________________
Edward Snowden - American Hero.
Daniel Ellsberg: "Edward Snowden: Saving Us from the United Stasi of America"
Marriage equality is unstoppable
AidenShaw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:06 PM   #78
zObsidian
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjenkins49 View Post
It's funny that everyone is saying Apple needs to build a 7" iPad to compete in the $199 to $299 market.

I keep thinking about something Jobs once said....

"What we want to do is deliver an increasing level of value to these customers, but there are some customers which we choose not to serve. We don't know how to make a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk; our DNA will not let us do that. We've seen great success by focusing on certain segments of the market and not trying to be everything to everybody, and you can expect us to stick with that winning strategy." - Steve Jobs

Remember this is a company that sales $2199 to $2799 base price laptops that they cannot keep in stock due to demand.

Why would they care about the $199 to $299 market?

I totally agree with what you said, but man... you totally got ripped off on that $2199 base price laptop.


(I think you mean $999)
zObsidian is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:20 PM   #79
AlexJaye
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by adeedew View Post
Hope Apple does what Steve wanted and spend every last penny righting this wrong in court, one by one staring w/ Samsung.
How about.................. not.
__________________
Bette Davis, we love you.
AlexJaye is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:25 PM   #80
CapnJackGig
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Haha, and now all the Apple fanboys that decided 7 inch tablets were bad because Steve told them to think that have to change their minds too. Hilarious.
CapnJackGig is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:25 PM   #81
superman23
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dampfnudel View Post
Let Apple release it and see what the market has to $ay. I have a feeling it will be successful and may even lead to the 9.7" iPad being discontinued in favor of a larger iPad, maybe 11-12" so there's a bigger size difference between the two.

So maybe in a couple of years, it could be the choice between a 7.85" iPad and an 11" iPad.
you mean take the existing 9.7" iPad and make it taller
superman23 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:27 PM   #82
Westside guy
macrumors 601
 
Westside guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: The soggy part of the Pacific NW
Quote:
Originally Posted by zObsidian View Post
I totally agree with what you said, but man... you totally got ripped off on that $2199 base price laptop.


(I think you mean $999)
He was talking about the Retina Display MacBook Pro.
__________________
Your post count is insufficient to view signature
Westside guy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:33 PM   #83
adeedew
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexJaye View Post
How about.................. not.
how about suck it
adeedew is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:34 PM   #84
bedifferent
macrumors Demi-God
 
bedifferent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGowan View Post
tablet computers (no one reads anymore)
ha I remember this years ago when asked about eBooks. Spot on.
bedifferent is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 11:44 PM   #85
the8thark
macrumors 68040
 
the8thark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by prezasti View Post
Or did he? He didn't like the idea of a 7" iPad, but that didn't mean he didn't allow it to be built later on.
Agreed. I'm sure there is probably a smaller iPad in the Apple labs. ANd why this is not on sale right now? Because it just does not work. Even Eddie admitted that web browsing on a smaller tablet is not the best. ANd not the best is something that does not ever make it to an Apple product. (well most times, even Apple have screwed up in the past)

So hence no smaller iPad. And I agree. I do strongly believe not selling a smaller iPad at the current point in time is thew right decision.
__________________
Congress shall make no law . . . prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press.
the8thark is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:09 AM   #86
macUser2007
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: May 2007
Maybe there is a market for 7" tablets, but it's a market in a race to the bottom - there is a 7" Android 4.0 tablet coming at $89 retail. Apple is not great competing in such races.

I have to agree with Jobs, 10" is the minimum for a quality tablet experience. Apple should be pushing larger, to 11"-13", to grab the lucrative business market. Hell, I'd buy the first tablet which has good battery life and a screen which will allow me to read a full size PDF, or Zinio magazine titles, without zooming in and out.

Samsung appears to be be coming out with an 11" Retina Display this month, which may be the first viable competition for the iPad. This is where Apple needs to be, not in the "cheapo" market, where consumers are more concerned with saving a dollar, than with great quality and design.
macUser2007 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:28 AM   #87
Lancer
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Australia
I prefer that Apple looks for new markets and if there is a call for a smaller iPad then so be it, but where does this leave a 4" iPod touch? Could we have a 4", 7" and 10" touch devices in the coming months, each with their own market or is the iPod obsolete with the iPhone?
Lancer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:59 AM   #88
lukarak
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapnJackGig View Post
Haha, and now all the Apple fanboys that decided 7 inch tablets were bad because Steve told them to think that have to change their minds too. Hilarious.
Well, Apple is the only one that gets to decide what's best for us. And it is never wrong.

On a serious note, it's not just the 7'', but the aspect ratio.

I don't like the 16:9 aspect ratio, and especially not on a 7'' tablet. I have a Galaxy Tab 7'' and it's not that great except for video, but I rarely watch that.

A friend bought an 8'' 4:3 tablet a few months ago, some cheap chinese ****, and it's not all that bad. If Apple's 7'' will be similar, I would consider it.
If they go with 16:9, I'm against it.
lukarak is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 01:06 AM   #89
brentsg
macrumors 68020
 
brentsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
I saw a blog posting on ZDNET the other day saying the race to the bottom in the tablet market is a bad idea. Basically saying its very hard to build a good tablet with decent margins for $199. But now consumers are expecting it and are price sensitive to more expensive devices. Of course it's easier for Google and Amazon when they don't care if they make any money off the hardware. Will be interesting to see how MS prices the surface.
This reminds me of what happened with the HDTV market. At one time there was a good cross section of different display types, all at various levels of quality and price.

The disposable TV vendors suppressed consumer expectations in terms of price. The end result was that the Pioneer's of the world dropped out.
brentsg is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 01:12 AM   #90
faroZ06
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by rman726 View Post
But nobody is buying an iPad instead of an iPod Touch, or an iPod Touch instead of an iPad. They have completely different use cases. It's similar to comparing a $129 iPod Nano (8GB) with an iPod Touch (8GB). The prices aren't necessary relative to the cost of manufacturing. You buy an iPod Nano if you want a tiny mp3 player that is of high quality and can clip onto your shirt while running. You buy an iPod Touch if you want a quality mp3 player, but don't necessary need it to be tiny, and don't want to actually buy a smartphone (teens or students). You buy an iPad if you want a big screened device. And with any three of those purchases, you will be buying an extremely high quality product that many believe to be the best experience for that said form factor. So while it may seem a bit odd for an iPod Touch to be $199 (or even $299/$399 in the case of 32GB/64GB) when an 8GB iPad is just $249. But very few will have skipped on the iPod Touch purchase because they could have bought an iPad Mini.
I was just pointing out that Apple would make much less profit on a $250 mini iPad than a $200 iPod touch since the mini iPad has a much bigger screen. They would probably not sell a mini iPad that cheap. It's not a question of market intersection.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by AidenShaw View Post
And the screen is remarkably sharp - probably because it has the same pixel count as my 13.3" Latitude. It's "retina" to me.
My 1920x1080 20" screen is retina for me at the recommended viewing distance, but I sit a little closer than that. I'm very nearsighted, so I don't think a 3rd gen iPad would be any better for me than an iPad 2.

Last edited by faroZ06; Aug 4, 2012 at 01:49 AM.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 01:38 AM   #91
stfwayne
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
I wish everyone would just shut the **** up about the upcoming iPhone being the downfall of Apple's cutting edge designs.

Steve Jobs APPROVED this before he died. What are you idiots stupid? It was written in about 50 articles that he left a 4-5 year plan for the company.

You think a man as OBSESSED with details would just be like "**** it I am dying and dont care about the next iPhone and the aspect ratio and if its taller instead of wider"

People's stupidity set aside, lets talk money.

The biggest way Apple can kill the market is price and if they don't take advantage of that, then you can say they have lost their edge.

Right now they have a perfectly usable iPad 2 for $400 new, with the new iPad coming in at $500.

That means that they will probably price the iPad Mini at $300 and the new iPod touch for $200. The Nexus Tab is $249, so its not that much of a stretch to price the iPad mini at $300.

However, if Apple really wanted to stick it to Google/Android they would pursue a price war. They easily could price the iPod nano at $100, the iPod touch at $150, the iPad mini at $200, the older gen iPad at $349 (which many stores are selling it for on sale anyways), and the new iPad for $500.

How could Google or any company compete with an iPod touch that starts at $149, or an iPad mini that starts at $199.

Yes maybe Apple would lose money for a few years but they have stockpiles of cash and can use this opportunity to put a death grip on Android tablets in general.

If a customer walks into Best Buy and sees the new iPad mini for $199/$249 aka the SAME PRICE or CHEAPER for the current flavor of the week Android tablet (Nexus $249) he or she would chose the Apple product due to higher quality casing (aluminum vs plastic) and due to the desirability of owning an Apple product. If however the price starts at $299 there are a large amount of customers that will instantly say screw Apple Ill buy the cheaper Android tablet (bc of lack of knowledge and basically bc of the savings no matter how little they are) and save a little bit of money which I can use to buy a case or other accessory. Ill give Google and Android a chance if they are pricing their tablet 50/100 cheaper.

So if we are splitting hairs on price why doesnt Apple once and for all price the damn iPad mini at $199 effectively ending any chance for Android tablet makers to compete. Apple is ordering massive amounts of tablet parts and screens and can easily pull a deal off like this. The Nexus was a marvel due to its price at $249 (many articles stressed the amount of deals that needed to be made to deliver the tablet at this price). If Apple were to match or beat that magical $249 price tag customers would flock to the perceived higher quality device instead of a cheap plastic tablet.

Yes they would lose money short term (easily make it back on iOS purchases) but after a few years it would be stupid on a customers part to buy a shoddy Android tablet when they can have a high quality aluminum Apple iPad mini for the same price or cheaper.

However, this will probably not happen sadly and they will keep the Touch at 200, price the iPad mini at 300, the older gen iPad at 400, and the new iPad at 500 giving customers an easy to follow pricing scheme. Apple should realize that that extra $50 is the difference b/w crushing Android and allowing it to exist (in the tablet market, as Apple has no way of stopping the growth of Android in the cell phone arena)

What do you guys think??
stfwayne is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 01:41 AM   #92
Hexiii
macrumors 6502a
 
Hexiii's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Prague, Czech Republic
Quote:
Originally Posted by its93rc View Post
I can't imagine the 7" iPad being sold without that ruler on the right.
How original dude...

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...2&postcount=18
Hexiii is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 01:46 AM   #93
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
I like myn7 and it's weight etc, but I just can't use it as long as using the iPad. Maybe it's just how I'm used to it or the screen size, but I just can't use it as long without preferring a larger screen. Also the apps on iPad seem better written. Netflix on iPad runs flawlessly, android is a mixed bag, on previous tablets it was slow and stuttered, now it's fast but occasional hiccup still. iPad doesn't do this. Hope they fix it.
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 01:50 AM   #94
faroZ06
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexiii View Post
ctm
That guy just got owned.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fruit Cake View Post
Netflix on iPad runs flawlessly
Unlike Netflix on the PC, which requires @#$%ing Microsoft Silverlight. Why, Netflix, whyyyyy?!??!!? Yeah this is why I like the fact that iOS doesn't support these kinds of things; the makers are forced to cut the BS and use regular Quicktime.
faroZ06 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 02:06 AM   #95
peterdevries
macrumors 68000
 
peterdevries's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by stfwayne View Post
I wish everyone would just shut the **** up about the upcoming iPhone being the downfall of Apple's cutting edge designs.

Steve Jobs APPROVED this before he died. What are you idiots stupid? It was written in about 50 articles that he left a 4-5 year plan for the company.

You think a man as OBSESSED with details would just be like "**** it I am dying and dont care about the next iPhone and the aspect ratio and if its taller instead of wider"

People's stupidity set aside, lets talk money.

The biggest way Apple can kill the market is price and if they don't take advantage of that, then you can say they have lost their edge.

Right now they have a perfectly usable iPad 2 for $400 new, with the new iPad coming in at $500.

That means that they will probably price the iPad Mini at $300 and the new iPod touch for $200. The Nexus Tab is $249, so its not that much of a stretch to price the iPad mini at $300.

However, if Apple really wanted to stick it to Google/Android they would pursue a price war. They easily could price the iPod nano at $100, the iPod touch at $150, the iPad mini at $200, the older gen iPad at $349 (which many stores are selling it for on sale anyways), and the new iPad for $500.

How could Google or any company compete with an iPod touch that starts at $149, or an iPad mini that starts at $199.

Yes maybe Apple would lose money for a few years but they have stockpiles of cash and can use this opportunity to put a death grip on Android tablets in general.

If a customer walks into Best Buy and sees the new iPad mini for $199/$249 aka the SAME PRICE or CHEAPER for the current flavor of the week Android tablet (Nexus $249) he or she would chose the Apple product due to higher quality casing (aluminum vs plastic) and due to the desirability of owning an Apple product. If however the price starts at $299 there are a large amount of customers that will instantly say screw Apple Ill buy the cheaper Android tablet (bc of lack of knowledge and basically bc of the savings no matter how little they are) and save a little bit of money which I can use to buy a case or other accessory. Ill give Google and Android a chance if they are pricing their tablet 50/100 cheaper.

So if we are splitting hairs on price why doesnt Apple once and for all price the damn iPad mini at $199 effectively ending any chance for Android tablet makers to compete. Apple is ordering massive amounts of tablet parts and screens and can easily pull a deal off like this. The Nexus was a marvel due to its price at $249 (many articles stressed the amount of deals that needed to be made to deliver the tablet at this price). If Apple were to match or beat that magical $249 price tag customers would flock to the perceived higher quality device instead of a cheap plastic tablet.

Yes they would lose money short term (easily make it back on iOS purchases) but after a few years it would be stupid on a customers part to buy a shoddy Android tablet when they can have a high quality aluminum Apple iPad mini for the same price or cheaper.

However, this will probably not happen sadly and they will keep the Touch at 200, price the iPad mini at 300, the older gen iPad at 400, and the new iPad at 500 giving customers an easy to follow pricing scheme. Apple should realize that that extra $50 is the difference b/w crushing Android and allowing it to exist (in the tablet market, as Apple has no way of stopping the growth of Android in the cell phone arena)

What do you guys think??
We think calling people stupid idiots is a stupid way to start asking us for our opinions...
__________________
Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
peterdevries is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 02:15 AM   #96
cjbryce
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: London
Quote:
Originally Posted by chriscrk View Post
And it'd also be a better option to give kids, instead of spending +800 dollars on a laptop or computer, they can spend about 200/300 on a tablet, which will full fill pretty much all the basic needs of a child's/teenagers use with tech.

Just see it as adding more sizes to a product that exists, just like we have 13' and 15' inch MacBooks...
This. I can imagine my kids clamouring for an iPad "mini" and, if they're priced right, Santa will probably deliver.

I would also like an iPad "mini" for myself - it'd be an ideal eReader on the train/holidays, universal remote, quick browser/emailer (especially if Apple decided that glossy screens aren't that great for eReaders). It'd just be a lot handier than the full size iPad, which I would retain for "power" use.

I see a lot of posts here about Apple cannibalising their own market - I think the chances are that dual purchasers like me would offset any real cannibalisation.
__________________
I used to have an shopping list here, but it was getting a bit embarrassing. I've turned into a fanboi
cjbryce is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 02:22 AM   #97
admanimal
macrumors 68040
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by osaga View Post
The best case against an ipad mini in my mind, is that it would cannibalize sales of the existing ipad.

http://www.fool.com/investing/genera...x#.UBxylqP4JcY
How in the world is "it will cannibalize sales of an existing product" still a valid argument against anything Apple is rumored to be doing? Apple constantly releases products that eat into sales of their other products. The iPod Mini/Nano cannibalized iPod sales. The Macbook Air cannibalized sales of Macbook Pros. The iPad cannibalized sales of Macs. The iPad Mini will cannibalize sales of the iPad. Apple doesn't care!
admanimal is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 02:27 AM   #98
gnasher729
macrumors G5
 
gnasher729's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by apolloa View Post
The iPad was actually priced and still is priced to match other top end 10" tablets, Apples iPod Touch starts from $200, the Classic starts from $250, the Nano is $129.
So with that in mind, how would they sell an iPad again for $200 anyway? They would need to scrap the Touch and Classic in essence.
That's a total non sequitur. iPod and iPad are completely unrelated products. Whatever Apple does with iPads has nothing to do with their iPods.


Quote:
Originally Posted by admanimal View Post
How in the world is "it will cannibalize sales of an existing product" still a valid argument against anything Apple is rumored to be doing? Apple constantly releases products that eat into sales of their other products. The iPod Mini/Nano cannibalized iPod sales. The Macbook Air cannibalized sales of Macbook Pros. The iPad cannibalized sales of Macs. The iPad Mini will cannibalize sales of the iPad. Apple doesn't care!
Apple understands one thing: If you don't cannibalize your products, someone else will. (That's why Kodak is bankrupt. That's why RIM is in trouble).
gnasher729 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 02:45 AM   #99
Marx55
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Size does matter? Indeed. And weight. Apple should bring a lighter and smaller Mac (whatever form factor of clamshell, slider or tablet; 400 to 600 g and 7-inch or so). Great for Keynote and PowerPoint presentations. The Mac in your pocket. Always.
Marx55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 02:55 AM   #100
dampfnudel
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnasher729 View Post
Apple understands one thing: If you don't cannibalize your products, someone else will. (That's why Kodak is bankrupt. That's why RIM is in trouble).
One of the best comments on this thread.
dampfnudel is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Eddy Cue: Steve Jobs Would Be 'Extremely Proud' of Apple's Current and Future Products MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 113 Jun 3, 2014 03:55 PM
Steve Jobs Inducted into Bay Area Business Hall of Fame, Eddy Cue Gives Emotional Speech MacRumors Mac Blog Discussion 5 Nov 14, 2013 08:21 PM
Eddy Cue Offers Tidbits On Jobs' Involvement with iBooks MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 12 Jun 18, 2013 08:48 AM
Steve Jobs Didn't Want an iBookstore, but the iPad and Eddy Cue Changed His Mind MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 40 Jun 17, 2013 01:33 PM
Apple vs. Samsung: Apple Executive Eddy Cue wants 7-inch tablet, Steve Jobs receptive ThatsMeRight iPad 3 Aug 4, 2012 07:04 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:42 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC