Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Aug 2, 2012, 06:46 AM   #26
Starfighter
macrumors 6502a
 
Starfighter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sweden
Didn't Azul Media Player allow iPad users to watch several file types (avi, wmv, up to 720p, subtitles etc) without having to convert? That would be the fastest option.

Edit: Ah, now I see LAnMarc already mentioned the app.
__________________
In arguments the losers are the winners - because they learn something.
Video Game Luddite
Starfighter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:28 AM   #27
gngan
macrumors 68000
 
gngan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: MacWorld
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchao View Post
Why don't you answer OP's question?

OP is trying to rip a Harry Potter and the deathly hallows DVD. and then want to have it stored in iPad so he/she can watch it whenever. But OP doesn't want to wait for the ripping and conversion.

My vote goes to handbrake and let it run overnight as well. Because MPEG4/H.264 is the native encoding format for iPad.
Cause I don't see anywhere in the thread that he has the DVD? I thought he already have the digital/soft copy of the movies.

Quote:
Thanks everyone! My posts were confusing :/

Why, WHY is every answer in every thread "jailbreak"? I don't WANT TO!!
Jailbreak enables you to do a lot more than stock. That's why!
__________________
2011 13''MBP i5 Dual HDD (128GB SSD+1TB HDD)+8gb RAM; iPhone 5S, iPod Nano 3rd & 6th gen; iPod Wheel; iPad Air 64gb; Airport Extreme/Express; Synology 4tb +WD 2tb; Canon 5D MKIII
gngan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 10:43 AM   #28
SvenSvenson
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchao View Post
Why don't you answer OP's question?
Because the OP may not know that you don't have to convert a file and use the iPad's 'videos' app via iTunes sync to watch movies.

He may not know that you can install an alternative video player (I have VLC, but I believe that's not available now, although I'm sure there are others) and simply copy your file over via iTunes file sharing with no conversion required.

Steve
SvenSvenson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 12:14 PM   #29
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevzorus View Post
Thanks everyone! My posts were confusing :/

Why, WHY is every answer in every thread "jailbreak"? I don't WANT TO!!
Because, among other things, XBMC has excellent native DVD playback support; this is why I've listed it above as a highly recommended free native MPEG2+MKV (and DVD) player. (Note that it doesn't support the iPad 3 Retina resolution.)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenSvenson View Post
Because the OP may not know that you don't have to convert a file and use the iPad's 'videos' app via iTunes sync to watch movies.
One should avoid using that - HandBrake (if it's needed at all, see the case of MPEG2-capable third-party apps) is way faster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenSvenson View Post
He may not know that you can install an alternative video player (I have VLC, but I believe that's not available now, although I'm sure there are others) and simply copy your file over via iTunes file sharing with no conversion required.
VLC has been removed from AppStore - but it wasn't very good to begin with (it's way worse than the top players available today in almost every respect). Also, if he converts the DVD files to MKV's via MakeMKV, they will be played back by a lot more players and it doesn't take much time.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 01:33 PM   #30
SvenSvenson
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
One should avoid using that - HandBrake (if it's needed at all, see the case of MPEG2-capable third-party apps) is way faster.
Errr, no. If you have videos in the right format, iTunes sync works perfectly. Just tick the videos you want on your iPad. And Handbrake can't really be faster, as it doesn't do the job of copying files to your iPad; it just does the conversion, so they don't compete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
VLC has been removed from AppStore - but it wasn't very good to begin with (it's way worse than the top players available today in almost every respect). Also, if he converts the DVD files to MKV's via MakeMKV, they will be played back by a lot more players and it doesn't take much time.
Yes. Basically as I said. Except that VLC playback is just fine. But thanks for confirming what I said.

Steve
SvenSvenson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 02:20 PM   #31
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenSvenson View Post
Errr, no. If you have videos in the right format, iTunes sync works perfectly. Just tick the videos you want on your iPad. And Handbrake can't really be faster, as it doesn't do the job of copying files to your iPad; it just does the conversion, so they don't compete.
No, I meant HB is way faster than anything else, including iTunes' own H.264 encoder.

Quote:
Except that VLC playback is just fine.
It has, depending on the format, from slightly to way worse video decoders than the top of today's players, even free ones (QQPlayerHD etc.) With SD content like DVD's, the difference isn't that apparent; with more demanding videos (HD, Full HD) the difference may be even tremendous.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:09 AM   #32
mcdj
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: NYC
Anyone who still converts movie files into iTunes friendly files is wasting their time. As mentioned by others, there are now MANY apps that play multiple videos formats directly on the iPad...no streaming or converting involved. Goodplayer is my favorite. You drag and drop movies right into the app via iTunes.

Converting for iTunes is totally outdated.
mcdj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 04:30 AM   #33
dchao
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post

Converting for iTunes is totally outdated.
what? Are you saying DVD's Mpeg2 format is more advance than h264? Why waste precious space on your iPad to storage video files in a less efficient format?

And without conversion, how are you going to watch BD on your iPad?
dchao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 04:34 AM   #34
AnimaLeo
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
I think David Lynch said it best when...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wKiIroiCvZ0
AnimaLeo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 05:08 AM   #35
Pompiliu
Banned
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menneisyys2 View Post
I too have it on my iPad 3 with properly converted footage and non-fullscreen playback allowing for true 1:1 pixel mapping (see my true 1080p player at http://www.iphonelife.com/blog/87/ex...-3-source-code )
So are you saying with that app, 1080p movies will be displayed with black-bars on all sides? LOL That's pretty stupid, if you ask me. It's a 10 inch screen, with blakc bars, you'll have 7 inch. =))=))
facepalm.jpg.
Pompiliu is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 05:58 AM   #36
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompiliu View Post
So are you saying with that app, 1080p movies will be displayed with black-bars on all sides? LOL That's pretty stupid, if you ask me. It's a 10 inch screen, with blakc bars, you'll have 7 inch. =))=))
facepalm.jpg.
Do the math, pal, before stating such nonsense.... First: how much is 2048 minus 1920 divided by 2?
Menneisyys2 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 06:00 AM   #37
kokhean
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevzorus View Post
I don't want it in an app, i want to have it in videos so i can watch it whenever i want without an internet connection since my iPad will be Wi-fi.
I don't think that you need an internet connection to be able to play videos from third party apps...


Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdj View Post
Anyone who still converts movie files into iTunes friendly files is wasting their time. As mentioned by others, there are now MANY apps that play multiple videos formats directly on the iPad...no streaming or converting involved. Goodplayer is my favorite. You drag and drop movies right into the app via iTunes.

Converting for iTunes is totally outdated.
I totally agree. I got tired of converting files all the time that I decided to go with the drag and drop concept.

AcePlayer, OPlayer or GPlayer should do the trick.
kokhean is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 06:12 AM   #38
dchao
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompiliu View Post
So are you saying with that app, 1080p movies will be displayed with black-bars on all sides? LOL That's pretty stupid, if you ask me. It's a 10 inch screen, with blakc bars, you'll have 7 inch. =))=))
facepalm.jpg.
With blu-ray 2.41 aspect ratio movies, I normally crop it down to 16:9 first then compress down to 3-4mbps. And then mix in the proper subtitles (and AC3 audio track for ATV). This way I can carry a lot more movies with me on my iPad, or stream it from iPad to my ATV with full Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound.

There is nothing that can beat the re-encoded videos.
__________________
Mac Pro Quad-Core (2008)
dchao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 09:47 AM   #39
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokhean View Post
I totally agree. I got tired of converting files all the time that I decided to go with the drag and drop concept.

AcePlayer, OPlayer or GPlayer should do the trick.
Speaking of AcePlayer, a quick warning: it doesn't recognize the aspect ratio in either TS or MKV containers; it defaults to 4:3. It must be manually reconfigured to 16:9 (Info icon / Aspect Ratio).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchao View Post
With blu-ray 2.41 aspect ratio movies, I normally crop it down to 16:9 first
Ouch! It'd be easier / better to use a zooming-capable player on the iPad with hardware playback. Then, if you really know there isn't anything of interest in the unvisible area, you could just dynamically zoom (with a two-finger pinch) into the video to have 16:9 (and, therefore, much better utilization of the vertical screen estate). It's Playing is a perfect example pf such a player. And if you encounter a scene where there is (for example, somebody), you can quickly rewind to there (some screen swipes to the left in It's Playing) and zoom out a bit for a moment.


Quote:
then compress down to 3-4mbps
That's quite pushing it... IMHO, for 1080p, significantly higher bitrates (between 8...10 Mbps, assuming two-pass X.264 encoding) should be preferable for (almost-)flawless image quality.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2012, 12:50 AM   #40
dchao
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
The main problem here is that, the memory on an iPad is not cheap, and it is not expandable If you use an all-in-one player without conversion, you will need to buy the largest iPad there is to store just a few HD movies. If you do the conversion with settings optimized for iPad viewing, you can compress the video even more. Also, the video files you put on iPad don't need to be the same as the iPhone version, the iPhone version can be compressed even more than the iPad one, so they take up even less space.

If iPad had a SD card slot, I would agree with you, because you can just take as many SD cards with you on the road as you like. But right now, the offline conversion is the best option.

I believe 3-4mbps is the video bit rate iTunes use for their HD movies (720p), which is good enough for iPad and ATV. Also if I want to enjoy the movie in the director's intended AR, then I would want to watch it on my HDTV instead.

Alternatively, you can use a host-based video player like Air Video, so you can either stream the video off the host or convert it in offline mode for offline viewing (pretty fast). Best of both worlds.
__________________
Mac Pro Quad-Core (2008)

Last edited by dchao; Aug 5, 2012 at 03:17 AM.
dchao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2012, 09:49 AM   #41
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by dchao View Post
The main problem here is that, the memory on an iPad is not cheap, and it is not expandable If you use an all-in-one player without conversion, you will need to buy the largest iPad there is to store just a few HD movies. If you do the conversion with settings optimized for iPad viewing, you can compress the video even more. Also, the video files you put on iPad don't need to be the same as the iPhone version, the iPhone version can be compressed even more than the iPad one, so they take up even less space.

If iPad had a SD card slot, I would agree with you, because you can just take as many SD cards with you on the road as you like. But right now, the offline conversion is the best option.
Yup, it'll always be the question of storage vs. quality. I've purchased a 64G model of iPad3 exactly because of this (my iPad 1 is a 32G, the iPad 2 is a 16G model; needless to say, I've always run out storage on the latter and decided not to purchase anything below 64GB any more): to be able to put as many high-quality movies (some of them even taking 20-22 Gbyte) on it as possible (in addition to my favorite apps).

Quote:
I believe 3-4mbps is the video bit rate iTunes use for their HD movies (720p), which is good enough for iPad and ATV. Also if I want to enjoy the movie in the director's intended AR, then I would want to watch it on my HDTV instead.
Apple uses a very low and, for the IQ, really destructive bitrate, which results in, among other things, banding effect. There are several articles directly comparing the quality of Apple's iTunes videos to those of (properly, meaning X264 + two pass) encoded around 8-12 Mbps: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1340463
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:01 PM   #42
TheGodLoki
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Smile Quick Converting MKV (h.264) to iTunes Compatible MP4

Hey guys and gals .. this is my first post here

Since the iPad can natively decode h.264 video I figured there should be a way to extract the video stream from one of those lovely HD .mkv files that you obtain from various places.

I found a quick way to do this .. with a medium spec windows pc or windows running in a VM.

You will need XMedia Recode 3.0.8.1 - http://www.videohelp.com/download/XM...3081_setup.exe

Open File -> Select video to convert
Set Format & File Extension to MP4
Set Audio Codec to AAC
Click the Video Tab and tick the Video Copy box (At the bottom of the other settings)
Click the Audio tab and set Bitrate to 448
Set Channels to Stereo
Click Add Job then Encode

What this will do is; pass-through the video, re-encode the audio and re-package as an iTunes friendly .MP4

It is important that you tick the Video Copy box on the Video tab or it will re-encode the video and you will be there for hours!

The whole process should take less than 10min and once it's done you can then add the file to iTunes and sync to the iPad as you normally would.

I have tested this on various types of source files and it works brilliantly!
TheGodLoki is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2012, 10:59 PM   #43
shamash
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Flagstaff, AZ + West Linn, OR
Send a message via ICQ to shamash Send a message via AIM to shamash Send a message via MSN to shamash Send a message via Yahoo to shamash Send a message via Skype™ to shamash
Quote:
Originally Posted by My name is Alex View Post
Try AVplayerHD its a buck on the app store and you just drag and drop from inside iTunes.
+1 for AVPlayerHD. I tried VLC and it was crap, AVPlayerHD is teh pwnz!
shamash is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 05:58 AM   #44
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamash View Post
I tried VLC and it was crap, AVPlayerHD is teh pwnz!
Yup... too bad a lot of people automatically think VLC on iOS must be as good as that on the desktop, which is in no way the case. (VLC sucks in most respects on iOS, even the Cydia version.)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGodLoki View Post
You will need XMedia Recode 3.0.8.1 - http://www.videohelp.com/download/XM...3081_setup.exe

Thanks - at last a non-commercial app (this forum is full of ads posted by gerilla advertisers). I will definitely test and review it.

EDIT: started testing it (under CrossOver on my Mac). So far, great results. Will report more.

Last edited by Menneisyys2; Aug 8, 2012 at 06:19 AM.
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 06:09 AM   #45
dchao
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGodLoki View Post

You will need XMedia Recode 3.0.8.1
If you don't need to re-encode, Have you tried Subler? I use it a lot for subtitles and AC3 pass through , but I think you can drag and drop MKV's into the app too. It will fill in all the tags as well.
dchao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 06:21 AM   #46
Menneisyys2
macrumors 601
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGodLoki View Post
Click the Audio tab and set Bitrate to 448
Isn't it a bit of overkill for stereo audio? IMHO, 128 kbps for stereo AAC is sufficient.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by dchao View Post
If you don't need to re-encode, Have you tried Subler? I use it a lot for subtitles and AC3 pass through , but I think you can drag and drop MKV's into the app too. It will fill in all the tags as well.
Subler is OS X only (can't be run by Windows people), while Xmedia Recode is a Windows app (which runs under OS X too, even under Wine / CrossOver).
Menneisyys2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2012, 07:13 AM   #47
Fuzzy.Dunlop
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Another shout for AVplayerHD, since the update its massively improved

I use it for all my old AVI's - sod converting everything with handbrake
__________________
iPhone 5 64gb - 13" Mac Pro 1TB 8gb - 160gb Ipod Classic - iPad 3 64gb - Gamecentre fuzzy.dunlop
Fuzzy.Dunlop is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Another VERY easy question need quick answer Yumid Mac Basics and Help 1 May 12, 2014 04:38 AM
hard drive dead, need an answer quick :) Kurri Mac Basics and Help 9 Apr 28, 2013 07:12 AM
All iPads: Quick question...easy to answer Saberon iPad 0 Dec 12, 2012 04:47 PM
convert movie torrents to ipad format migdaddy iPad 18 Oct 20, 2012 01:06 AM
Ask A Question, Get An Answer- Post All Quick Questions Here Classiclays MacBook Pro 1 Jul 13, 2012 06:10 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:07 AM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC