Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jrm27

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 3, 2008
Hi all,

I've got a 3tb drive jammed full of movies that I've converted from my DVD collection using handbrake. They are all converted to .m4v files. Can I plug this hard drive into a ps3 and watch movies? The drive isn't formatted as NTFS or FAT-32.

-jon

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Hi all,

I've got a 3tb drive jammed full of movies that I've converted from my DVD collection using handbrake. They are all converted to .m4v files. Can I plug this hard drive into a ps3 and watch movies? The drive isn't formatted as NTFS or FAT-32.

-jon

No, it has to be formatted as FAT32 or the PS3 won't be able to see anything on it. Fix that issue and yes you can use it to play movies off of.

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
You also need to set up the internal folder structure to match what the PS3 expects.

Well, you don't need to, since you can always press the triangle button on the controller while hovering over the external drive and select "display all files", which then displays all the files on the drive. It does make the experience slightly more fluid since you can just select the drive and enter it when the folder structure is correct, but it's not a necessity.

Also, to the OP, I know you said you only have encoded DVDs, but if/when you start encoding blu rays, you'll likely run into problems regarding the 4GB limit of fat32, so you'll have to split files that come out as larger than 4GB into smaller files.

SlickShoes

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
Also if you have a slim PS3 like me, make sure that you disconnect all other USB devices when you are using it or it won't get enough power. The older larger models did not have this problem but the newer ones do, i spent ages trying to work out why my HDD kept disconnecting or not working, after i unplugged all usb devices and just used the HDD it has been flawless!

iThinkergoiMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 20, 2010
Terra
Also if you have a slim PS3 like me, make sure that you disconnect all other USB devices when you are using it or it won't get enough power.

Or use a powered drive. I have a 3.5" drive connected to my PS3, so it definitely has its own AC power supply. Most smaller drives come with a power port as well, so you can add a power supply. This allows you to connect all your other devices/charge your controller.

Albern

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2011
Thanks guys you have delivered very good information which i have never before
this forum is amazing and thanks to all of you for sharing such good information.
Zombie Games

Last edited:

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland
Well, you don't need to, since you can always press the triangle button on the controller while hovering over the external drive and select "display all files", which then displays all the files on the drive. It does make the experience slightly more fluid since you can just select the drive and enter it when the folder structure is correct, but it's not a necessity.

Also, to the OP, I know you said you only have encoded DVDs, but if/when you start encoding blu rays, you'll likely run into problems regarding the 4GB limit of fat32, so you'll have to split files that come out as larger than 4GB into smaller files.

What's a good external blu-ray drive I can connect to my Mac so I can start ripping them? I would use handbrake for this too right?

obsidian1200

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
What's a good external blu-ray drive I can connect to my Mac so I can start ripping them? I would use handbrake for this too right?

You would need MakeMKV to rip Blu Rays on your mac. Just about any drive should be fine. I'd recommend mine, but Asus no longer makes my particular model.

opinioncircle

macrumors 6502
May 17, 2009
Ok you have to be careful with the BR rips. Sony did input some mute function that mutes the movie 20 minutes in. Just sayin ;)...

Rizvi1

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2006
Maryland

You would need MakeMKV to rip Blu Rays on your mac. Just about any drive should be fine. I'd recommend mine, but Asus no longer makes my particular model.

Thanks. I'll set up a deal alert on slickdeals for a blu-ray drive and grab one. IIRC, you can't watch movies on a mac off a blu-ray drive but you can rip and then play them.

Also, the MakeMKV program that was recommended has an easy "split files" option for working w/ fat32 hard drives?

Zodiax360

macrumors newbie
Jul 17, 2013
Prob to late but...

Hi all,

-jon

Ive found out how to watch movies from a external HDD after a bit of research and i stumbled across this link and thought you might want to look at it if you havnt already got the problem resolved.
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/formatting-external-hard-drive-to-fat-32/

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Ive found out how to watch movies from a external HDD after a bit of research and i stumbled across this link and thought you might want to look at it if you havnt already got the problem resolved.
http://www.online-tech-tips.com/computer-tips/formatting-external-hard-drive-to-fat-32/

Interesting...you wouldn't by any chance be the owner of that website, trying to promote it?

You know, seeing how you specifically registered here to make this one post that adds absolutely nothing new to an ancient thread?

:rolleyes:

DUCKofD3ATH

Suspended
Jun 6, 2005
Universe 0 Timeline
Does the PS3 VIDEO file structure accept subfolders for genres? The external drive I'll be connecting will be 3TB and contain thousands of vids, so it'd be nice if they could be subdivided in to genres to speed displaying them. Also, is there a limit on filenames? Can I use Mac format names with spaces and long titles?

skottichan

macrumors 65816
Oct 23, 2007
Columbus, OH
Does the PS3 VIDEO file structure accept subfolders for genres? The external drive I'll be connecting will be 3TB and contain thousands of vids, so it'd be nice if they could be subdivided in to genres to speed displaying them. Also, is there a limit on filenames? Can I use Mac format names with spaces and long titles?

I... I do not know for sure. If you're in no real rush, I can check when I get home tomorrow (I'm at my GFs, and my portable external is FW800 so I can't test on her PS3).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.