Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
The easy route with Handbrake is to use the presets. It has presets for all versions of the ATV, for iPads, for iPods, iPhones, and for Android devices. Some people tweak these to improve them further, but I'm not really convinced they can actually see the difference. ;)
Same here.

mil098

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2010
ok, well I'm not using an ATV, I actually have a PC hooked up to the TV.

I do know that MP4 files are smaller than the MKV file, so should I be using the normal preset or the high profile preset?

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
ok, well I'm not using an ATV, I actually have a PC hooked up to the TV.

I do know that MP4 files are smaller than the MKV file, so should I be using the normal preset or the high profile preset?
Best quality, smallest file size, longest encode time+aTV3 preset

jdiamond

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2008
Just to clarify - VIDEO_TS files...

I have to assume that since you are wanting to end up with and m4v container, you are wanting to play the files on an aTV. DVD's are mpeg2. mpeg 2 will not play on an aTV, so you have to convert then to h.264.

So I guess the answer to your question is...no.

In my case I am find playing them on a computer monitor or iPad. What I was specifically asking was whether or not the mpeg2 codec can be used directly inside of these common container formats, so that you can play them on a computer without losing the quality & compression of the original DVD that occurs during a re-encoding... I was hoping for an iOS compatible format like m4a or something similar...

Thanks for any thoughts,
- Jeff

Nov 28, 2010
located
In my case I am find playing them on a computer monitor or iPad. What I was specifically asking was whether or not the mpeg2 codec can be used directly inside of these common container formats, so that you can play them on a computer without losing the quality & compression of the original DVD that occurs during a re-encoding... I was hoping for an iOS compatible format like m4a or something similar...

Thanks for any thoughts,
- Jeff

Nope, as .mp4 is made for the MPEG-4 codec. And using HandBrake and one of its presets for proper transcoding a video DVD title to an .mp4 file does not really induce visible quality loss, unless you changed a setting for the worse. Also know, that MPEG-4 is a much more advanced codec than MPEG-2, thus the smaller file size while retaining image quality, and MPEG-2 is quite lossy to begin with (1 MB/s data rate, that is almost a quarter of DV encoded video).

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
From Yoda

Losslessness is a figment of your imagination. Everything is lossy. ;)

mpossjr

macrumors member
Nov 8, 2011
Georgia, USA
Simple Solution

Here is a simple solution...
Forget about DVDs. Its just a matter of time before they are obsolete anyway.
Spend $99 on an Apple TV 3. Download Handbrake for $free.
Problem solved.
You're welcome!

littlepooch21

macrumors regular
Sep 26, 2010
besides handbrake, is there a simple solution for window's users? i like handbrake but it takes a long time to convert.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
you can just buy the content on hard media and then make your own MP4, saves time and is legal to own.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
it takes 5 minutes to muxe a 12 GB dual audio HD movie with my 4 year old mbp. not hard at all thx to iFlicks :)

blaizefm

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2009
+1 for iFlicks. I use it all the time to remux mkv to m4v for iTunes. Just drop it on the window, make sure it gets the right metadata, select iTunes compatible, and away it goes.

Edit: Should have read the whole thing. :eek:

I love iFlicks. However I've noticed recently that it has stopped muxing the videos (MKV Tv shows primarily) and is encoding instead. I have installed Mountain Lion recently and this may have driven the change...

andymodem

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2008
Baltimore, MD
I love iFlicks. However I've noticed recently that it has stopped muxing the videos (MKV Tv shows primarily) and is encoding instead. I have installed Mountain Lion recently and this may have driven the change...

Strange, mine is still muxing everything just fine on Mountain Lion. :confused:

derondantzler

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
While my system is somewhat complicated, here goes:

1. CouchPotato, SickBeard to download NZB files and send to...
2. SABnzbd to download the videos
3. Python post-processing scripts for SABnzbd to convert the videos from MKV to M4V (IE: demux > convert audio > remix)
4. Folder actions to watch for converted movies, trigger python script that uses iTunes store API to tag videos with data and add them to iTunes library.

What I do now:

1. Add a show I like in SickBeard or a movie to watch in CouchPotato
2. Sit on my sofa and cut on my TV. Peruse the new content that shows up in my library since everything is automated.

This is all much better than the garbage I was doing before (searching for crap to download > handbrake for hours > tagging with subler > adding to iTunes)

derondantzler

macrumors newbie
Aug 7, 2007
besides handbrake, is there a simple solution for window's users? i like handbrake but it takes a long time to convert.

A combination of the following command-line tools:

MKVExtract (MKVToolnix)
MediaInfo
FFmpeg
Normalize
qaac
MP4box

Make a script. Works every time, fast, costs nothing, and can be set to monitor a folder for new MKV files or added as a post-processing script to your download application to automate your routine.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011

Where are you? Prolly the DVB broadcast itself has been changed from, say, 720p60 to, say, 1080i60. Or from H.264 to MPEG-2. Both interlaced and MPEG-2 video must be transcoded for ATV playback.

blaizefm

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2009
Where are you? Prolly the DVB broadcast itself has been changed from, say, 720p60 to, say, 1080i60. Or from H.264 to MPEG-2. Both interlaced and MPEG-2 video must be transcoded for ATV playback.

It appears I've been at fault all the time. Choosing the iTunes compatible setting in iFlicks allows muxing of my H.264 TV shows. I had switched to another setting at some point and not noticed.

emptysoul

macrumors regular
May 26, 2009
A combination of the following command-line tools:

MKVExtract (MKVToolnix)
MediaInfo
FFmpeg
Normalize
qaac
MP4box

Make a script. Works every time, fast, costs nothing, and can be set to monitor a folder for new MKV files or added as a post-processing script to your download application to automate your routine.

Can you show us the script you are using? Just saying "make a script" doesn't really help the less technically minded ;)

I've only have my AppleTV for a few days (moving from XBMC) and still trying to perfect my workflow. I think I have the batch encoding of all MKV files in a folder to MP4 (ableit losing 5.1 sound) sorted but everything else seems to be so much more time consuming.

I almost envy Mac users as there are so many more easily used tools for them to use for managing Apple TV content.

xti

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2008
Can you show us the script you are using? Just saying "make a script" doesn't really help the less technically minded ;)

I've only have my AppleTV for a few days (moving from XBMC) and still trying to perfect my workflow. I think I have the batch encoding of all MKV files in a folder to MP4 (ableit losing 5.1 sound) sorted but everything else seems to be so much more time consuming.

I almost envy Mac users as there are so many more easily used tools for them to use for managing Apple TV content.

I would look at getting a Roku and use the free Plex channel. Plays any .mkv file easily with no conversion necessary. (it does require Plex server running on your PC). Keep the AppleTV for iTunes or viewing free YouTube movie channels like Crackle. Stopped using XBMC when I sold my 1st gen ATV and started using Plex. With an inexpensive Roku streamer, no more time consuming pain in the :eek::apple: file conversions necessary.

Onky

macrumors newbie
Oct 1, 2012

3. Python post-processing scripts for SABnzbd to convert the videos from MKV to M4V (IE: demux > convert audio > remix)
4. Folder actions to watch for converted movies, trigger python script that uses iTunes store API to tag videos with data and add them to iTunes library.

What I do now:

2. Sit on my sofa and cut on my TV. Peruse the new content that shows up in my library since everything is automated.

This is all much better than the garbage I was doing before (searching for crap to download > handbrake for hours > tagging with subler > adding to iTunes)

Hi derondantzler,

The setup you have running is exactly the one I'm looking for. I'm looking for a script that runs a remux program after downloading it with sabnzbd. Then I need sickbeard to put it in folders with tags.

Can you please tell me how you automated this?!

Thanks!!

er1cw

macrumors newbie
Aug 12, 2010

What I do now:

Can you please share how you do this?? Been looking for this for ages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.