Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoupyFlow

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
San Francisco, CA
Hi all, looking to get a MacBook Pro from B&H. I got a 27 inch iMac from them last year and everything went well.

My main question is that if I order a MacBook Pro from them, are they pretty good about returns if the screen has any issues?

I am mainly looking to get a custom configuration tax-free and they have them.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
They don't accept returns on Macbook Pros.

You're going to have a hard time returning any custom configured Mac most of the time, to most resellers.

That being said, as long as they're an Apple authorized reseller, you'll be fine with regard to the warranty.

SoupyFlow

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 9, 2008
San Francisco, CA
They don't accept returns on Macbook Pros.

Thanks for the info. So if there was an issue, would I just take it to my local Apple Store for a return?

Actually I intended to buy a High Res anti-glare or glossy from the Apple Store. But the only high-res they carried was a anti-glare model with high specs for around $2700 which is not what I wanted. I was going to get the $1799 model with the high res screen ($1899 total) but they didn't have that configuration at the Apple Store.

I actually went through three retina Macbook Pros at Best Buy (yeah I know) and they all had issues so I got my money back.

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
consider getting it from MacMall. You still get tax free....but you can also 3% off. I saved $112 on my rMBP that way. If you have a problem with a Mac you have purchased from any authorized dealer...you call Apple. BTW, you can get Apple Care for $100 less at B&H.

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
To touch on a couple of things mentioned, you won't have warranty issues if you buy from BH. But there won't be any of this swapping for other new stock at the Apple store once you buy from a different retailer.

It'll be well within Apple's rights to replace it with a refurb or repair it. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they refused to do anything when it comes to LCD imperfections that likely fall with their normal standard deviation.

I wouldn't buy from BH just because I'd want the no questions asked money back guarantee from Apple.

Teem45

macrumors member
Mar 27, 2012
Dallas, TX
I just ordered from MacMall myself an hour ago, and their rep, Shawn, told me that if the computer shows up with any defects, it is returnable to them. If you have spent sufficient time with a rMBP to know it's for you, you are probably okay, and no matter what, it's still under warranty. I've struggled with the same dilemma...what if it's not perfect...but decided to take the chance since I've had good dealings with MacMall in the past and because I already know I love the rMBP. I hope I'm not posting next week about any bad luck. :eek:

MacMall has almost all the BTO configurations in stock right now, 5 Central, and ship into the evening. If you order from there, don't forget to ask for the Apple Insider 3% discount. It saved me over $100 off their already discounted price with no tax.

BH Photo is great to deal with for all things photography-related, so if you're sure you want the rMBP and know ahead of time you can't return it to them, I'd go for it, especially since they have AppleCare for $122. MacMall has no discount on AppleCare, but you could get the computer from MacMall and order the AppleCare from BH and come out about the same. Good luck!

friendchet

macrumors newbie
Jul 9, 2012
I bought my rMBP base version from B&H.Got it for $2306.
Price includes rmbp+ apple care + parallels.So far no issues. I am happy with my purchase . But as other folks stated , their return policy is not so good.
But just in case you face any issues , you could take it to any of the nearest apple retail shop. As long as your macbook is under warranty, apple should take care of it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.