Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
Hello folks. I'm trying a new HTPC setup. My main computer is a MacBook Air, I just bought my Airport Extreme, and got my external HD connected. How do i set up DLNA so i can stream from the MacBook Air to the LG TV? I have absolutely no experience with DLNA.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Hello folks. I'm trying a new HTPC setup. My main computer is a MacBook Air, I just bought my Airport Extreme, and got my external HD connected. How do i set up DLNA so i can stream from the MacBook Air to the LG TV? I have absolutely no experience with DLNA.

I have very limited experience with this, but I tried it at my mothers' house (she's getting old, the Apple TV menus are too hard for her to read despite having quite a large TV) and I found the PS3 server to be very easy to set up and use.

http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/30399/ps3-media-server/

I read about it somewhere, and it says it's for PS3 but it works like a charm on any DLNA device apparently.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
I'm a bit confused. Do i need a PS3 for this? I would prefer to stream directly to my DLNA capable LG TV.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I'm a bit confused. Do i need a PS3 for this? I would prefer to stream directly to my DLNA capable LG TV.

No. You install the application on your computer, and the TV will act as the PS3.

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
I tried two different DLNA media servers, PS3 and TVMobili. They both can't recognize my shared hard drive connected to my Airport Extreme. The only way i can get it to work is by transferring the file from my shared hard drive to my computer. I prefer not to do it this way. Can anyone help?

Last edited:

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I tried two different DLNA media servers, PS3 and TVMobili. They both can't recognize my shared hard drive connected to my Airport Extreme. The only way i can get it to work is by transferring the file from my shared hard drive to my computer. I prefer not to do it this way. Can anyone help?

I downloaded it and tried it out. It's not very intuitive, I'll give you that :)

When you open the app, go to Navigation/Share Settings, and press the green plus sign to add a shared folder. Now, first click your username to get the drop down menu, choose your computer's hard drive. Look for the folder called Volumes. In this folder, you'll find the name of your external hard drive.

Does that work?

slipper

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 19, 2003
I tried that. It seems to be a step closer. From my TV, i can see the different folders on the external hard drive but i can't see the files, it says "empty folder".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.