Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bailmdb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 2, 2009
Over there
I'm trying to launch Jin, a program that allows me to access the Internet Chess Club (ICC) and it has a circle with a line through it. When I click it I get a message that says, "You can't open the application because PowerPC applications are no longer supported." So does that mean that any app that launched this way is now completely unusable? Any options for me? My old Diablo 2 online launcher won't work either. Thoughts? Thanks.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
I'm trying to launch Jin, a program that allows me to access the Internet Chess Club (ICC) and it has a circle with a line through it. When I click it I get a message that says, "You can't open the application because PowerPC applications are no longer supported." So does that mean that any app that launched this way is now completely unusable? Any options for me? My old Diablo 2 online launcher won't work either. Thoughts? Thanks.

PowerPC apps haven't been supported since Rosetta was removed when Lion was released last July.

No there is no way around it. You'll have to find either an updated Intel version of the app you want to use or you'll have to find an alternative app.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Keep a Snow Leopard partition or disk to run them when needed.
Make a Snow Leopard virtual machine.
Find equivalent apps that run in Mountain Lion.

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011

Welcome to 2011.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
Legally you are correct - people have hacked virtualization programs to get it to work. You can also virtualize Lion and Mountain Lion client (but only with the same OS as a host.
I think I read online that Leopard is allowed also.
I haven't read the long text of the user agreement, but i think it refers to running the OS in an apple branded hardware, therefore if you are running it in a virtual machine on a Mac, why would that be illegal????
One thing is not complying with the agreement and another breaking the law

pdjudd

macrumors 601
Jun 19, 2007
Plymouth, MN
I think I read online that Leopard is allowed also.

Maybe Leopard Server. Not client though. They only changed the terms (and very limited) for Lion.

I haven't read the long text of the user agreement, but i think it refers to running the OS in an apple branded hardware, therefore if you are running it in a virtual machine on a Mac, why would that be illegal????

The terms specifically outline what virtualization rights you are allowed. Read the SLA - it is very clear.

One thing is not complying with the agreement and another breaking the law
They are contracts. If you don't plan on obeying them why should you agree to them?

MichaelLAX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 31, 2011

Attachments

• Lion-Snow+Leopard.jpg
    Lion-Snow+Leopard.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 805
  • Appleworks.jpg
    Appleworks.jpg
    659.7 KB · Views: 942
  • Illustrator.png
    Illustrator.png
    555.9 KB · Views: 467
  • Risk II.png
    Risk II.png
    544.3 KB · Views: 582
Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.