Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

applestore.png

Apple has updated its Apple Store iOS app with unnamed 'performance enhancements' and the option to preload iWork onto Macs purchased via the app.

Apple used to offer iWork preloaded on Macs and included the install DVD inside the box, however once iWork became available only via the App Store, the company removed that option. Yesterday, the preloading ability was returned to the standard Online Store and has now arrived on the mobile store as well.

Presumably, iWork is being preinstalled on new machines via the Mac App Store much like the iPhoto and iMovie applications are.
What's new

- Now get the option to have Pages, Keynote and Numbers pre-installed on any MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, iMac or Mac Pro.
- Performance enhancements to make it easier to shop for Apple products on the go.
The Apple Store iOS app allows users to buy products and have them shipped or pick them up at an Apple Store, track purchases, and buy some products at an Apple Retail Store without interacting with a salesperson. Users can also make Genius Bar and One to One reservations.

The Apple Store app is a free download from the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple Store iOS App Updated With 'Performance Enhancements' and iWork Preinstall Option

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Does it cost extra to preload iWork if you've already purchased it from the MAS? Does anyone know?

They should add this option for all MAS apps...

Edit: Expanding on that idea, Apple should open the MAS to people on iOS and Windows computers... Buy an app from wherever you are, and it starts downloading to your Mac if you already have one or they'll preload it to any Mac that you buy. Maybe while buying your Mac, they let you open the MAS and buy whatever apps you'd like it to come with preloaded.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
How about adding full screen for iPad?? How does Apple ignore this? :confused:

The lack of true iPad support is just increasingly bizarre!

We can only hope a bigger update is waiting in the wings—possibly awaiting some in-store NFC stuff? Maybe that hypothetical version is Universal...

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
New York
Does it cost extra to preload iWork if you've already purchased it from the MAS? Does anyone know?

They should add this option for all MAS apps...

Edit: Expanding on that idea, Apple should open the MAS to people on iOS and Windows computers... Buy an app from wherever you are, and it starts downloading to your Mac if you already have one or they'll preload it to any Mac that you buy. Maybe while buying your Mac, they let you open the MAS and buy whatever apps you'd like it to come with preloaded.

Yes it costs $20.00 per iWork app.

I know, the MAS is a great place to shop but it could use a lot of enhancements.

britboyj

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2009
iWork for Mac is now more out of date than Office for Mac by 2 full years. This needs to be remedied.

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
The lack of true iPad support is just increasingly bizarre!

We can only hope a bigger update is waiting in the wings—possibly awaiting some in-store NFC stuff? Maybe that hypothetical version is Universal...

Darn right! Hopefully it brings passbook support :D

...and a free puppy!

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Seriously - iWork '09?? Are you kidding?

How about iWork '13 Apple??

Still scratching my head over this, especially after bringing a rather important update to '09 now.

Jesus Christ...

Glassed Silver:mac

Apple's mistake was making the release year part of the name. If it wasn't called iWork '09 nobody would be talking about it being out of date.

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
Apple's mistake was making the release year part of the name. If it wasn't called iWork '09 nobody would be talking about it being out of date.

just so i get you straight. you are claiming that if iwork (a suite of apps apple introduced almost 8 years ago and has quite frankly maintained poorly) did not have a year in its name people would not pickup on apples lack of interest in it? and would not find it disappointing?

apples mistake recently has been releasing something other than its touch devices. they clearly do not care about the rest whether it be software or hardware.

rant over for now. i can go back to iweb on my macpro

How about adding full screen for iPad?? How does Apple ignore this?

exactly. how rich would the ios and ipad ecosystem be if everyone was as lazy as apple?

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
just so i get you straight. you are claiming that if iwork (a suite of apps apple introduced almost 8 years ago and has quite frankly maintained poorly) did not have a year in its name people would not pickup on apples lack of interest in it? and would not find it disappointing?

apples mistake recently has been releasing something other than its touch devices. they clearly do not care about the rest whether it be software or hardware.

It should not be a versions contest but just the same we have seen three versions of the iWork suite during those eight years, as well as the introduction of the iOS iWork suite. It has also been updated several times. Pages for the Mac is now at 4.x and Keynote at 5.x. Of the three apps, only Numbers (2.x) lags in development, but it is also the newest of the three. So no, I would not say they have been maintained poorly, or pick up on any lack of interest, and I am not disappointed. I might be if I thought they were functionally deficient in any significant way that Apple seemed disinterested in fixing, but I don't find that to be the case. I don't need new versions just for the sake of new versions. And yes, I believe if they'd named this package iWork 3.0 I don't think anyone would be complaining about it now being "out of date."

numlock

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2006
It should not be a versions contest but just the same we have seen three versions of the iWork suite during those eight years, as well as the introduction of the iOS iWork suite. It has also been updated several times. Pages for the Mac is now at 4.x and Keynote at 5.x. Of the three apps, only Numbers (2.x) lags in development, but it is also the newest of the three. So no, I would not say they have been maintained poorly, or pick up on any lack of interest, and I am not disappointed. I might be if I thought they were functionally deficient in any significant way that Apple seemed disinterested in fixing, but I don't find that to be the case. I don't need new versions just for the sake of new versions. And yes, I believe if they'd named this package iWork 3.0 I don't think anyone would be complaining about it now being "out of date."

well we just disagree there. i find the three year gap since the last version proof enough. we are not talking about something that couldnt be improved upon.

versions numbers dont have to mean much if the software itself is not making real progress and catching up to/surpassing its rivals. we do agree though that numbers is getting the worst treatment. there are numerous threads here where people are asking how this and that can be accomplished in numbers and in most cases it just cant be done.

you could argue that google docs and its suite has surpassed iwork with the exception of maybe keyword.

i think the introduction of iwork for ios just proves my point. if it isnt mobile (ios and the macbooks) you get second class treatment at apple these days.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.