Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

VacTacks11

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 24, 2009
I use a USB drive attached to my Airport Extreme as my Time Machine. I use a program called Time Machine Editor to set my backups to 3am daily (I don't really need every hour).

I'm finding that my backups aren't happening at 3am when I put my rMBP to sleep. The backups fire right up when I wake it from sleep.

The USB drive is first mounted, then unmounted when the backup is finished. Is this normal behavior?

Aniseedvan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2012
UK
I was trying to use a USB connected drive as my time machine backup and I have also found that whilst in power nap it doesn't back up either...

As soon as I start the air up, off it goes.

pmau

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2010
I thought that the PowerNap backup was designed to be performed on the SSD as a local time machine backup.

Because of silent operation and speed.

Apple wanted to keep the wakeup time low, so a periodic local backup to the internal ssd was their idea of a nice marketing feature.

Nozuka

macrumors 68040
Jul 3, 2012
afaik it doesnt use the normal backup schedule for power nap backups. it just checks if a backup is needed after sleeping 1 hour and then starts it.

matt2053

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2012
Power Nap will not power on a USB drive. It will back up over wifi to a time capsule. But it's not going to power on and back up to a USB drive that gets its power from the Mac you are backing up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.