Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

les24preludes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
I have a new Mac Mini - no DVD reader/writer so need to get one. I'm in London UK. I can buy off amazon, ebay, whatever.

Need to know a good compatible external DVD - the usual Mac one seems to have a bad reputation for breaking down in posts I've read.

I'm assuming USB, but open to other ideas. I have bench power supplies so can arrange any kind of power supply needed.

Andy

SR45

macrumors 65832
Aug 17, 2011
Florida
I bought a Lenovo DVD external USB (Model 43N3264 $54.00 on sale but now $119.00)) when I had my Lenovo notebook, but it works just fine for the MacMini. Use it a lot, no issues for the last 6 months or so. Plenty of other less costly Externals to look at, and hold out a bit, and some may weigh in on this thread later on.

http://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-USB-DVD-Portable-Burner/dp/B0034CC9BE $119.99 USA

Sure you can get a good burner for 40.00 or so

Last edited:

Sterkur

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011
I am looking for the same, any other suggestions would be well received.
The only requirement I have is that it is Region free or at least reads both Region 1 & 2. I am going to use it with a MacBook Pro to rip DVD's for viewing on the computer.

Thanks. :)

penguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2007
CA
I have a new Mac Mini - no DVD reader/writer so need to get one. I'm in London UK. I can buy off amazon, ebay, whatever.

Need to know a good compatible external DVD - the usual Mac one seems to have a bad reputation for breaking down in posts I've read.

I'm assuming USB, but open to other ideas. I have bench power supplies so can arrange any kind of power supply needed.

Andy

love my LaCie d2...it may be more than you need, built like a tank, USB 2.0 and Firewire. I've had mine for about 5 years and use it alot, particularly now as I rip my dvd collection.

frank4

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
I got the ASUS DVD drive listed in my sig for only $27, works perfectly :D so far, no driver needed. Have read or played CD, CD-R, DVD, DVD-R, and burned a data CD-R, but have not yet ripped or written a DVD. The drive came with a double USB cable in case necessary for enough power but it also works OK on the Mini with a single generic USB cable.

I was a little concerned the 2011 Mini no longer had an internal optical drive but since I infrequently use optical discs, driveless is acceptable, plus the external drive is inexpensive and easily replaced if it wears out or has a problem.

An extra $50 for the Apple DVD drive is not a lot of extra cash, but a couple of months ago I was in extreme "frugalista" mode. :eek:

MKULTRABOY

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2011
I purchased the lowest end USB-DVD burner at a local PC store, works like a charm and is great! I don't use it particularly often however and you may have other needs. It's a samsung and is very nice.

les24preludes

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 6, 2011
Well, I went on ebay and bought a Samsung SE-S084, one of the older models which are a bit heavier than the new SE-S084F. It works fine with one USB connected, though the lead has twin USB connectors computer side.

So job done. Plenty of these Samsung drives around and they get good ratings.

Andy

kpgh554

macrumors regular
Dec 29, 2011
iver england

Andy

i got a LG super multi dvd writer from amazon works a treat no probs so far is usb powered and has light scribe. had for while now think only paid about £20 for it. it's slim and sits nicely on my mini external hd

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
MiniStack

NewerTechnology is releasing a "MiniStack Max" that will have a DVD/Blu-Ray player, plus 4 TB of storage, plus I think a Flash Carb Reader and it will be a USB hub. I'm not sure of the release date, but I feel like something like that was already released earlier. (actually there's just a raft of Mini form factor HDDs)

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
NewerTechnology is releasing a "MiniStack Max" that will have a DVD/Blu-Ray player, plus 4 TB of storage, plus I think a Flash Carb Reader and it will be a USB hub. I'm not sure of the release date, but I feel like something like that was already released earlier. (actually there's just a raft of Mini form factor HDDs)

Did you really resurrect a 6 month old thread to post about something that has a dozen or so threads about it already?

Imhotep397

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2002
Not a troll pointing out poor forum etiquette

Assuming someone's seen the threads you're talking about when they haven't and then and having no reason to post other than to reprimand in a troll like fishing manner makes YOU a troll. (you wouldn't have seen any of the other threads if this thread came up in a Google search and the others did not troll)

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Assuming someone's seen the threads you're talking about when they haven't and then and having no reason to post other than to reprimand in a troll like fishing manner makes YOU a troll. (you wouldn't have seen any of the other threads if this thread came up in a Google search and the others did not troll)

This is my last post on this subject. Frankly we have now added 5 new messages to a thread that is 6 months old and have added little to no content to these forums beyond what was already available via the search function...

here's a link to Lifehacker's guide to forum etiquette:
http://lifehacker.com/5473859/basic-etiquette-for-email-lists-and-forums

You will notice you broke rules #1 and #2. #1 Old archives already discussed what you "added" to this thread and #2 talks about reviving old threads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.