Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ikkejick

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2011
I wouldn't expect less from Apple. They are always quick with implementing new standards.

Can't everybody just shut the ****** up about iPhone 4SS, 5, 6, XXL, or whatever. Watch it or I'll come on over to learn you count!

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Why would the 6th generation iPhone be called the iPhone 5? :confused:

For the simple reason that it comes after the 4S. The "4" is what sticks in people's minds, not the fact that it's actually 5th generation.

It's irrelevant, though, as apple will probably drop numbers altogether.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
The actual tray takes up the same (nearly) amount of space / has the same foot print as the 4S one. Why would Apple do that? It doesn't allow them to save that much space.
Here we go again.

It's not just about reducing the size of one part. It's about reducing the size of many components which add up to a substantial savings. The gained space can be used to make the handset thinner or can be reallocated for other things. Examples would be more battery capacity, a larger camera module, larger speakers.

I'm glad you're not a rocket scientist or neurologist. "A millimeter doesn't matter" attitude would send the Mars Rover to Saturn or kill a patient.

:) :p :D

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Please can we not have a naming debate in EVERY thread about the next iPhone? Please!?

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
I'm hoping the black tray will blend into the black metal (which it should do) and look much more seamless unlike the iPhone 4 and 4S sim trays look now.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
That is the new iPhone...... You've seen it many times

Same color as the Nano-SIM........

I didn't realize the band has that grey/blue tint. I thought it was lighting in the picture or a tint due to being a prototype. Yes I know I've seen it many times. No need to be so condescending.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
They shall name it 'New iPhone' much like the 'New iPad'

I hope so, it should just be called iPhone just like the macBooks, it would be ridiculous to carry on these 'numbers' iPhone 17 would be just stupid, much better for it to be simply iPhone, then go on to be knows as the 2012 iPhone ect.

DrABC

macrumors newbie
Aug 6, 2012
Normal / Micro sim to nano sim

Could somebody shed some light on the issue of what to do if apple does go with the new nano sim tech?

• Can you get a nano sim card to replace your normal simcard from your network provider, without changing your contract?
  • Can you copy/clone a normal sim/micro to a nano sim?
  • Can you cut a normal/micro sim down to nano sim size?

Anybody got a solution?

amorya

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2007
But then what do you call the next one? The "new new iPhone"? And then in 5 years, i'd order a "new new new new new new iPhone"?

You also call it the new iPhone. "New" is an adjective used in marketing for the first few months of selling it — it's not part of the product name.

I don't think Apple care about each product having a unique name. In service manuals and stuff they'll use things like "iPhone (6th generation)" or "iPhone (late 2012)", the same way they do now for iMac and iPod touch. But when you're buying one, they'll just say "iPhone".

On the other hand, with iMacs, they don't keep selling the older one when the new one comes out. So maybe they won't go down this route for iPhones after all…

----------

• Can you get a nano sim card to replace your normal simcard from your network provider, without changing your contract?

You should be able to, unless your network provider is being an arse. However, that's not a given!

Raftysworld

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2011
You also call it the new iPhone. "New" is an adjective used in marketing for the first few months of selling it — it's not part of the product name.

I don't think Apple care about each product having a unique name. In service manuals and stuff they'll use things like "iPhone (6th generation)" or "iPhone (late 2012)", the same way they do now for iMac and iPod touch. But when you're buying one, they'll just say "iPhone".

On the other hand, with iMacs, they don't keep selling the older one when the new one comes out. So maybe they won't go down this route for iPhones after all…

Yeah see, the last paragraph is my issue with this idea. Right now they currently sell the 3GS, 4, and 4S. Assuming they continue to sell 3 models, then we can expect in 3 years the choices will be the new iPhone, last year's iPhone, and the iPhone before that. How do you designate them? "iPhone (2013)"? That just doesn't seem like something that would catch on among consumers and become ubiquitous like "iPhone 4" has.

Who knows, though.

androiphone

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2009
Could somebody shed some light on the issue of what to do if apple does go with the new nano sim tech?

• Can you copy/clone a normal sim/micro to a nano sim?
  • Can you cut a normal/micro sim down to nano sim size?

Anybody got a solution?

-yes most of the worlds networks will replace it for free with no change at all to your tariff, US networks and Orange UK will likely take an arm and half a leg for payment.
-yes the 'chip' and the contact places are the same it is only the amount of plastic that changes
-depends, if you have a large contact area sim card (like this) (normally sims form old) then you will have to be careful how you cut into the contact area, if you have a sim with a small contact area (like this) then you can shave down the plastic no problem and it will work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.