Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

unobtainium

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2011
Tell them the truth - that you're an iOS developer using a Beta product on your development iPhone. Tell your friends to contact you on your other phone - your personal phone.

That's true? Correct?

Yawn...are you people ever going to give it up? It's like you're personally offended by non-devs who use betas. I suspect it's because it makes you feel less cool and exclusive.

hppy29

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2007
Essex, UK
Downloading on 4s in the UK. Hope the maps are updated but Turn by Turn works well in the UK even with low or no signal.

DiamondGCoupe

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2007
Had to turn off Wi-Fi in order for new beta to show. Downloading now, shows at Beta 4 currently. They might have taken it offline to update a few minutes ago.

vodouman

macrumors regular
Mar 30, 2008
London
Tell them the truth - that you're an iOS developer using a Beta product on your development iPhone. Tell your friends to contact you on your other phone - your personal phone.

That's true? Correct?

^ It's comments like this that annoy me. This comment was clearly a joke but this is the sentiment of many users here on the forums.

I am a paid iOS developer and recent university graduate. I made an iOS application for my dissertation. I sure as hell didn't/don't have enough money to afford multiple iPhones.

I own an iPad and an iPhone and am deserving of my license.

I got a first in the dissertation by the way. ;)

k3roro

macrumors 6502
Aug 28, 2010
Hmm, I wish someone with the knowledge can do a quick comparison between the various stages of iOS5 beta, GM and official followed by the iPhone 4S release to the various stages of iOS6 beta, GM and official followed by the iPhone 5.

I can feel it coming!

mbarriault

macrumors regular
Dec 3, 2008
I keep getting a "Unable to check for update" error for OTA, though I've been having lots of troubles with downloading apps lately too, so that might be related.

blizaine

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2003
Hopefully this build fixes some of the bugs I've had in B3, such as iMessaging and FaceTime not working. My friends keep asking why my messages are coming from my email not my phone.

Make sure you have your cell number set as your outbound caller ID for iMessaging and FaceTime.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
wow with beta 4 there is a really cool animation (after updating), kinda like Mountain Lion and new setup process after upgrading.

eklof

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
Yay, "preparing for update". Mine said Beta 4, so maybe they fixed quickly.

shotts56

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2008
Scotland

That's true? Correct?

You must feel really smart. I wish I could be you.

Ron21

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2007
another thing, NYC is now in 3D :)

edit, nvm, it is just the building outline.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
It is. You can set your phone number to be the caller ID for Facetime and iMessages.

Interesting! When I tried out the Messages Beta for OSX, it would not sync with Messages on my iPhone until I used my Apple ID as my caller ID on my phone as well. My wife would then say it didn't matter if I sent a message from my phone or my computer, it came to her phone and said it was from the email address associated with my Apple ID.

When I did as you said and switched the Caller ID on my phone to my phone number, the messages sent from my phone said they were sent from my phone number, but they would no longer sync with the Messages Beta software on my iMac.

I thought having the ability to sync Messages for OSX and iMessages for iOS meant you had to use your Apple ID and that is how it was designed. Perhaps that is different now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.