Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
I do not like the feature. It is intrusive and pointless to me. I hate manually having to delete each one. I have a LOT of items in iCal, for instance. Every day there is at least 5-10 notifications that pop up on the side when I open up my computer. I am going to be using iCal anyway, so what is the point in telling me? It reminds me of Windows with the little pop up notification every time something happens. I think it is awful that it is forced and not optional.

Anyway, I just want to find a way to turn them off.

Anyone have a fix?

Ice-Cube

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
Somewhere over the rainbow
You can turn them off individually in system preferences:

Screen_Shot_2012_08_03_at_1_33_13_PM.png

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I don't think you can completely disable the "Notification", but you can select "None" in System Preferences. As for the sidebar, don't call it.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Just disable notifications for each app individually in System Prefs. That will effectively disable the Notification Center.

xkmkmlmx

macrumors newbie
Apr 13, 2011
Just disable notifications for each app individually in System Prefs. That will effectively disable the Notification Center.

I am sorry to be a little blunt, but I have obviously tried that, as per the statements in this thread alone, and it does NOT work.

Do you know your advice to be fact? Or are you just stating what you *think*? Is my computer having problems?

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
Apples inclusion of iOS "Features" in OS X has royally mucked it up.

Apple just can't seem to understand that diluting OS X on the desktop by adding elements of iOS doesn't thrill everyone that sees it much less their experienced computer users.

Yet they are determined to ad every gimmick they can think of.

Fischer Price must be so jealous.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
I am sorry to be a little blunt, but I have obviously tried that, as per the statements in this thread alone, and it does NOT work.

Do you know your advice to be fact? Or are you just stating what you *think*? Is my computer having problems?

No, I know it works. If you disable notifications for every app listed as "In Notification Center" and make sure they are all listed in "Not in Notification Center", you shouldn't receive any notifications.

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
No, I know it works. If you disable notifications for every app listed as "In Notification Center" and make sure they are all listed in "Not in Notification Center", you shouldn't receive any notifications.

Must be just my computer then (I know it isn't though).

I have them all unchecked. If I go in iCal and create a new event, or manually drag an event to another day, or my computer has been off or asleep since the next day change (went to sleep at 10pm on aug 1st and woke up at 3pm on Aug 2nd, for instance), the notifications will pop up no matter what is checked or unchecked.

iLog.Genius

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
If you scroll to the bottom of the left pane in Notifications, there's a section titled "Not in Notification Center". You need to drag whatever app you don't want to send you notifications and drag it under that section.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Must be just my computer then (I know it isn't though).

I have them all unchecked. If I go in iCal and create a new event, or manually drag an event to another day, or my computer has been off or asleep since the next day change (went to sleep at 10pm on aug 1st and woke up at 3pm on Aug 2nd, for instance), the notifications will pop up no matter what is checked or unchecked.

Yes, that must be your computer then. I just tested this with Calendar (the new name for iCal) and made sure it was under the "Not in Notification Center" column and did the things you did and no notifications popped up.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
If you scroll to the bottom of the left pane in Notifications, there's a section titled "Not in Notification Center". You need to drag whatever app you don't want to send you notifications and drag it under that section.

Somehow I missed that. Now that I followed your advice it killed off notifications. Thanks!

xkmxkmxlmx

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 28, 2011
Do you have them all listed under "Not in Notification Center?"

Yes.

I know this. When you uncheck each selection, as has been suggested by every single person so far, they automatically go to the "not in notification center" group. You do not need to drag them.

Yes, that must be your computer then. I just tested this with Calendar (the new name for iCal) and made sure it was under the "Not in Notification Center" column and did the things you did and no notifications popped up.

I have recreated it on a friends computer as well. Also, I run into many threads online about it.

Maybe it is a bug that affects more than just mine. Oh well. Thank you for your help. I will submit it to Apple, I guess. Maybe consider doing a fresh install, but that would be tedious.

Icy1007

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Cleveland, OH
Yes.

I know this. When you uncheck each selection, as has been suggested by every single person so far, they automatically go to the "not in notification center" group. You do not need to drag them.

I have recreated it on a friends computer as well. Also, I run into many threads online about it.

Maybe it is a bug that affects more than just mine. Oh well. Thank you for your help. I will submit it to Apple, I guess. Maybe consider doing a fresh install, but that would be tedious.

Try this on your computer. Go into system prefs and select Notifications. Select Calendar and make sure it is under "Not in Notification Center".

Also make sure that the Alert Style is selected as "None". Now go test your event creation/moving. There shouldn't be a banner or alert appear.

Freeþinker

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2005
northern Virginia
I'm having the same problem

I've done the trick of dragging the Mail app (the only app I use for Mail anyway) to "Not In Notification Center" from the above list, but I still keep getting notifications for Mail messages. I do not want to keep getting a notification from every single email that I receive from an institution. This is driving me nuts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.