Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NMF

macrumors 6502a
Oct 27, 2011
Evernote has its own proprietary database though, remember that. It's true you can export documents and such, but that takes forever and is hardly an elegant solution. Once you become deeply entrenched in Evernote it's a huge hassle to migrate to something else. For this reason I will only use apps that use a standard folder structure in Finder.

Current'y using EagleFiler. Yep was just too buggy and is basically unsupported by the developer.

sandimacd

macrumors regular
Nov 17, 2010
FL
So after you scan and upload to Evernote, what happens to the original? Do you delete it?

I just upgraded to Evernote Premium because I want to be able to access stuff offline on my iTouch. I think it will come in handy to paste in all of my software purchases, keys and licenses. They can really use some TAGS. After that we'll see what happens.

I can't rave enough about PDF PEN PRO. It imports a scan and I can insert text notes, highlight and merge PDFs. It saves me time and space- I can add a text box to just one PDF page instead of scanning in 2-3 pages. It isn't a data base so wouldn't help out there.

campasoft

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2011
Give a try to FingerPDF (http://www.fingerpdf.com) which I am developing. It is still beta but usable in particular for paperless home /offices and for people who have a large number of PDF Files.

As it is beta software I need your feedback for refining the app according user's needs

thank you

Piero

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
Need accounting side too...not just doc storage

Like others, have been using Paperless for years. Have tried 2.x not once, but twice, both times reversing course and going back to v1.3.

I use Paperless for receipts, then at the end of the year, run reports for my accountant. When Mariner released v2.1, they removed category sub-totals from reports---think: you can get a year-specific bottom line total dollar amount, but not sub-totals for categories like shipping, cost of goods, entertainment, travel, tax, etc. (isn't this advertised as a receipts solution?).

Tried 2.1.6 when it launched. You guessed it. Still no category sub-totals on year end reports.

When I asked Mariner for a workaround, their "solution" involved seven steps and three software programs (seriously...see the support thread here). Thus, my return---twice---to the older version.

I'm on borrowed time, given the age of the program and the need to bring all our computers up to the current OS. Evernote's a Godsend for storing documents, but for receipts, I need something that produces year end reports and tracks category totals.

Any ideas...?

iAmRenzo

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2013
I am using Paperless 2.x also, but I am not convinced.
+ it has a own database (like iPhoto).
+ simple
+ smart search with tags and document types is great!
- buggy
- it seems that budgetting and finance are more important then just managing documents like insuance, manuals, paychecks and so on.

Still searching for the iTunes or iPhoto solution for documents. I tried iDocument but it doesn't have a library/database, just a folder. And he DEVON stuff is way to complicated for me.

PaperQueen

macrumors 6502
So after you scan and upload to Evernote, what happens to the original? Do you delete it?

Yes, you can delete. Evernote imports a copy on the local drive, plus you have a backup copy on the Evernote server (and, since you're Premium, access to Note History that shows you prior versions of each note).

Info about the local EN copies (for Mac) can be found here:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/33731-backups-and-local-files/

Note History info can be found here:

https://support.evernote.com/link/portal/16051/16058/Article/583/Is-it-possible-to-view-previous-versions-of-a-note

I just upgraded to Evernote Premium because I want to be able to access stuff offline on my iTouch. I think it will come in handy to paste in all of my software purchases, keys and licenses. They can really use some TAGS. After that we'll see what happens.

To preface this next statement, everyone has their own take on where and how to file stuff, based on the way they work. Here's what I use, with the reasoning:

Passwords, license keys, etc.:
1Password
Accessible on mobile devices, via browser interface, via local client app, and is the gold standard for encrypted, secure storage. Have used it for years, and never ever ever ever ever looked back (how's that for loyalty?).

Owner's Manuals, notes, web clippings, and other non-security issue items:
Evernote Premium
Especially when it comes to manuals and guides...each device/machine/whatever has its own folder, including additional notes with my jottings. The individual notebooks I've set up for each of the Adobe CS apps = solid gold.

Receipts, bank account transfers, PayPal transfers, and anything else the IRS might ever need for an audit:
Paperless
This, I'm looking to replace. Can't see the point of a so-called financial filing program that doesn't allow you to run year end reports for user-created categories (ex: travel expense, accommodations, meals, etc.). It worked in v1.3.0, but they stripped it out in later versions. (?!?!?)

I can't rave enough about PDF PEN PRO. It imports a scan and I can insert text notes, highlight and merge PDFs. It saves me time and space- I can add a text box to just one PDF page instead of scanning in 2-3 pages. It isn't a data base so wouldn't help out there.

1+ to that.

I love the fact that even after saving to EN, I can re-open the copy stored there, continue editing in PDFPen Pro, then re-save to the exact same spot in EN. Brilliant.

rjberger

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
I've been using Evernote with ScanSnap ix500 for everything

I'm using Evernote Premium with a Fujitsu Scansnap ix500 which has very good integration with Evernote.

I scan all new physical mail (other than junk mail) I use the Print to Evernote feature to throw stuff I see on the web or is electronic form already.

I can send content via email into Evernote.

It automatically OCR's everything and makes it free text searchable.
Plus you can tag and if you really want you can have folders (inside Evernote).

I use the tags now though even they can tend to be superfluous with the pretty good search capabilities.

I can view and search for docs with Evernote on iPhone & iPad and I think I can even use the Evernote web interface (I don't use that though so don't know for sure)

Its not perfect, but considering I use it so much, I rarely find myself cursing when using it (The more cursing while using the worse rating for that product :)

tosmith1

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2018
NC
IF you ever intend to upgrade OS to Mojave
do nut use paperless.
Reasons_ :: 1. there is NO WAY to export to another program without reprinting all scans .
2. Fujistu has stopped supporting my scanner a S1500.
I am now looking at another type of scanner.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.