Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
I saw a Nike+ Challenge thread and thought I might start a Fuelband thread.

Basic point is put up your end of day scores for admiration or bragging rights. Just something to get the community motivated towards something.

For those of you asking what the heck is this band thing, it's essentially a band that you wear on your wrist that tracks movement. It's not waterproof, just resistant, so swimmers get no fun in this. The movement is converted into Nike Fuel which is Nike's universal metric that is the same for everyone regardless of height or activity level.

http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/products/fuelband

Last edited:

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England

Basic point is put up your end of day scores for admiration or bragging rights. Just something to get the community motivated towards something.

For those of you asking what the heck is this band thing, it's essentially a band that you wear on your wrist that tracks movement. It's not waterproof, just resistant, so swimmers get no fun in this. The movement is converted into Nike Fuel which is Nike's universal metric that is the same for everyone regardless of height or activity level.

Just had mine replaced today so ill be up for this...just a bit of fun aint it!

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009

I saw these when they came out and thought they seemed cool, but they offer me no use :( I lift weights far more than cardio, and as far as I can tell these don't really measure lifting.

roblawton

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2007
Preston, UK
Got mine delivered today so I'll be up for joining in on this.

Day one and I'm at 1067 so looking forward to seeing how high I can get it!

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
This was my day yesterday. All I did was work from home, went for a brisk walk to the Apple store to do more research on whether or not to get the rMBP/MBA (walked around the store repeatedly).

7725940790_1e5ed115ee.jpg

roblawton

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2007
Preston, UK
It's meant to fit quite snug but if I raise my arm, it slides down a little. (I've got skinny wrists!)

This is a medium with both links removed.

Grayburn

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2010
England
Ok, so is this worth the $150 cost? Would you buy it again or not?

It's a good motivator thats for sure but i do think the price is a bit steep.

I paid £96.00 for mine on eBay but a firmware update bricked it (error#52) but Nike Town still swapped it for a brand new one which was a result as the eBay one was used for a small period of time :D

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
So I guess the goal of this band is to get you to... move more? Well it seems kind of silly, but it does look shiny and displays flashy numbers, so maybe I'll get it to go alongside my Polar heart rate monitor.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
I haven't looked into this yet, but is it like the Jawbone Up? Seems similar from the pics.

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
Ok, so is this worth the $150 cost? Would you buy it again or not?

It is worth it for those that want to track their daily fitness, not worth it for those that already have a set regimen going. It'll be a great addition, but not necessary.

I haven't looked into this yet, but is it like the Jawbone Up? Seems similar from the pics.

I believe it's better than the Up because you don't need to plug anything in to sync.

7736501294_44eef220e3.jpg

This was mine today, a lot better than yesterday. I would take a pic of my Fuelband but it's the ice version and it's so bright.

Last edited:

rockyroad55

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 14, 2010
Phila, PA
This looks fun. Is it bluetooth? does it need to be near the iphone? Does it need charging every night?

Bluetooth? Yes
It only needs to be near the iPhone when you want to sync the data. It doesn't need charging every night, about 3 days usage.

roblawton

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2007
Preston, UK
I'm having some serious sync issues since my first day using this so at the moment @NikeSupport are adding my points manually.

I've reset, factory reset, reinstalled, re-synced but still don't get the right fuel points uploaded online.

I really hope this doesn't have to get exchanged!! :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.