Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mountain_lion_icon1-150x153.jpg

MacRumors has received word that Apple is making preparations to begin seeding builds of OS X 10.8.1 to developers. The release would be the first maintenance update to OS X Mountain Lion, which launched two weeks ago, and this new update will likely focus on squashing some of the more significant bugs that have been discovered in the original version.

The first maintenance updates for OS X releases tend to come fairly quickly after their initial debuts, due in part to a need to move some of the major bug fixes to the public as quickly as possible. Apple has also likely been working on OS X 10.8.1 since some time prior to the launch of Mountain Lion, as it seeded the final version to developers over two weeks ahead of the public launch and undoubtedly continued to find issues requiring attention after that time.

For comparison, OS X 10.7.1 launched 27 days after the debut of OS X Lion, while OS X 10.6.1 appeared just 13 days after the launch of Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

As a reminder, Apple is also continuing work on an update to Lion with developer versions of OS X 10.7.5 having been released for testing.

Article Link: Apple Preparing to Seed Developers with First Build of OS X 10.8.1

kolax

macrumors G3
Mar 20, 2007
Fix desktop backgrounds changing randomly. The lag as you enter your password at the login screen is a bit annoying too, though it isn't as bad as it was on Lion.

jrath1

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2005
Very nice. I love Mountain Lion so far. I have seen a few minor bugs which hopefully will get squashed soon. Keep it coming Apple.:eek:

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
Speaking of bugs, whatever you do, do NOT use root as your normal account in Mountain Lion.

Also, aren't mountain lions the same thing as pumas?

montycat

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2007
Florida
I hope this fixes issues Im having with my iMac after installing ML. I must constantly restart it after it wakes up from sleep mode…Airport gets disabled, Safari and Mail are always freezing:eek:

ugp

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2008
Inverness, Florida
Fix desktop backgrounds changing randomly. The lag as you enter your password at the login screen is a bit annoying too, though it isn't as bad as it was on Lion.

I was getting this as well. It kept reverting back to the stock image. Very annoying.

Possible fix for my horrendous Safari page load times?

I also have this issue as well with my MBP and iMac. Using Chrome no issue. Even opening the browser and loading the home page which is set to Google.com tends to want to take it's sweet time.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Glad to see it, just realized I'm having issues with spotlight, can't search anymore.. Hoping this fixes it..

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
I'm on 10.8 and I don't know if this update will fix it, but I really hope that Apple finds a way to make Safari 6 more stable. I really am tired of it randomly crashing, even though it's not a frequent event- it never happened in the last version on OS X 10.7.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.