Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I'm interested in getting the new iPhone when it comes out next month, but wont be eligible to upgrade with AT&T. So... best way to sell the 4S? I know about sites like gazelle but they dont offer much.

craigslist? i dont know... i want to get as much money as possible to the new phone wont be too expensive.

my 4S is in impeccable condition.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm interested in getting the new iPhone when it comes out next month, but wont be eligible to upgrade with AT&T. So... best way to sell the 4S? I know about sites like gazelle but they dont offer much.

craigslist? i dont know... i want to get as much money as possible to the new phone wont be too expensive.

Factory Unlocked... eBay...

When you buy the new phone, try to get AT&T to factory unlock your 4S

ADDITIONAL: Make sure you post your eBay auction for international shipping (worldwide). Research shipping rates through UPS, USPS, and Fed-Ex... USPS has always been the least expensive in my experience. You will have your shipping for US (Free or whatever you choose), Mexico and Canada will be like $15-20 (If USPS), and the rest of the world will be like $40-$50 (If USPS)... So three different rates. I base my rates off of the International Flat Rate Boxes...

TG1

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
I'm going with Craigslist. No fees, and if you live in a reasonably populated town, you should have enough of a market to get a good price.

photogpab

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
I am going to go do it today with my old 3GS... I am pretty sure you just ask. If the phone is not under contract, they are legally obligated I think.

well my phone is under contract. i got it thru AT&T last year when the 4S came out. But I am sure i wont be eligible to upgrade. So I dont know the best way to sell the 4S.

Can I even sell it on craigslist or ebay? if its "locked" or whatever?

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
eBay is a good deal. If you are going to sell it internationally, do block certain countries from bidding e.g. Russia, Ukraine, Nigeria, etc.

Most of those countries have higher rates of fraud compared to other markets and some countries actually have custom laws that prevent the entrance of radio communication devices i.e. your phone might mysteriously disappear in customs.

But other than that, selling your iPhone on eBay internationally will net hefty profits.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
well my phone is under contract. i got it thru AT&T last year when the 4S came out. But I am sure i wont be eligible to upgrade. So I dont know the best way to sell the 4S.

when people say "locked" they just mean you have to use that phone on a certain carriers network.
All you would have to do is take your SIM out of the phone and put it on craigslist as "Iphone 4S 16gb ATT"

The best thing to do is buy the new phone when it comes out and then just sell 4S so you are not without a phone.

Want300

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2011
St. Louis, MO

when people say "locked" they just mean you have to use that phone on a certain carriers network.
All you would have to do is take your SIM out of the phone and put it on craigslist as "Iphone 4S 16gb ATT"

The best thing to do is buy the new phone when it comes out and then just sell 4S so you are not without a phone.

When you buy the new phone, they should not have a problem unlocking the old phone I think. But I could be wrong.

My issue with craigslist is simple. I live in the third most dangerous city in the country... It was #1 a few years back, we were flip flopping with Detroit for #1 and #2... and then Flint, MI joined the party.

When I sell on Craigslist, there are too many scammers, too many people trying to low ball me, and from my experience, I still make more with the fees taken into consideration, cuz each time, my iPhone was purchased by someone not in the US.

Now, with craigslist sales, I have them meet me at a local police station, and I go in before hand to tell them what I am doing. They have never had a problem with it.

Jasper84

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2011

I'd reccomend Craigslist just becareful do not accept checks cash only meet some where safe Starbucks parking lot of police station etc lol eBays final value fee kinda sucks but I've used it Just buy tracking and insurance when you ship it to the buyer that proof you mailed it and the insurance is if it breaks in transit or stolen dog eats it etc lol

----------

I really need to start reading all the post before replying some one already mentioned something very similar to what I just posted oh we'll atleast you've been told twice good luck with your sell :)

chokem

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2012
Searcy, AR
+1 for Craigslist. I even go so far as to meet the buyer at the AT&T store, get it activated on their account, then they can see it has a clean IMEI and that there are no issues.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Craigslist depends on your location. Where I live CL sucks for sellers but is a gold mine for buyers. iPhone 4 32gb goes for 200 ish, iPad 3 32gb AT&T for $400.

aznguyen316

macrumors 68010
Oct 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
eBay is a good deal. If you are going to sell it internationally, do block certain countries from bidding e.g. Russia, Ukraine, Nigeria, etc.

Most of those countries have higher rates of fraud compared to other markets and some countries actually have custom laws that prevent the entrance of radio communication devices i.e. your phone might mysteriously disappear in customs.

But other than that, selling your iPhone on eBay internationally will net hefty profits.

Be aware USPS will not allow shipping of lithium ion batteries so I think you need to ship via UPS or DHL but those rates should be covered by buyer.. it's pretty expensive I believe. Good luck!

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)

You could try the search feature. There have only been like 40 threads about this lately.

Haryago

RainCityMacFan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2007
NC
Be aware USPS will not allow shipping of lithium ion batteries so I think you need to ship via UPS or DHL but those rates should be covered by buyer.. it's pretty expensive I believe. Good luck!

Yes you should definitely watch out for that as well!

I did send my iPhone 3GS over USPS to Korea to a relative once and it cleared fine.

But you have to cover up holes like this when selling on eBay. Unfortunately, UPS and DHL/FedEx are ridiculously expensive.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011

Check your AT&T account and see if you are eligible for an early upgrade. Sure its 200 bucks more then the full upgrade price, but if you are eligible you can do an early upgrade, then request an unlock to your iphone 4S then sell it for a good reasonable price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.