Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
I'd love a matte/no gloss iMac, or better yet, a 27" or 30" no gloss display for the new/upcoming MacPro. I think a Retina iMac is a ways off - they need to wait for the costs to go down, as a 27" Retina would cost a lot of money [I'd be willing to bet it would be $2999], and at that price point, I'm not sure that many people would buy it - art/graphics/film/photo pros will want a workstation system, not a laptop-CPU-based desktop setup like the iMac has, and most non-pros probably couldn't afford to justify that type of cost. The screen on the rMBP is "only" 15", yet you see what that screen costs; imagine what it would cost for a 27" iMac!

That said, I'd love to see a Retina Display iMac, but I think late 2013, IMO.

The iMac actually uses a desktop CPU. The only thing that would be holding back a Retina iMac would be the GPU as it uses a notebook one.

-LikesMac-

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
The iMac actually uses a desktop CPU. The only thing that would be holding back a Retina iMac would be the GPU as it uses a notebook one.

Yep. For the sake of knowledge though, I'll have to say that the iMacs did use laptop CPUs for many years; only a few years ago did they start using desktop CPUs. :D

It needs a desktop GPU badly…that would make it so much better and yes, it would help a Retina iMac greatly. In the meantime, where are those Thunderbolt eGPUs…. :p

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
Still good to go

My 2008 MacPro is still working fine. (knock on wood) Although, the Nvidia card went south last year. I baked the card in the oven for 10 minutes @ 400 degrees F, and it's been working fine since then. So I can wait till next year. Glad to know it's coming though.

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
Yep. For the sake of knowledge though, I'll have to say that the iMacs did use laptop CPUs for many years; only a few years ago did they start using desktop CPUs. :D

It needs a desktop GPU badly…that would make it so much better and yes, it would help a Retina iMac greatly. In the meantime, where are those Thunderbolt eGPUs…. :p

My only worry with a desktop GPU would be heat.

Iconoclysm

macrumors 68040
May 13, 2010
Washington, DC
But no optical drive which is criminal for a desktop/workstation.

I think it's pretty safe to say that those who purchase a Mac Pro either have no need for an optical drive or are capable of adding one themselves. I have a Blu-ray drive for one reason - to rip them.

Galatian

macrumors 6502
Dec 20, 2010
Berlin

While true you have the option of getting the high end graphic card option which is not available on the MacBook Pro, namely the Radeon HD 6970M.

Well they are trying to stay under 100W TDP. That's the thermal envelope they can work with in this All-In-One enclosure. Ivy-Bridge comes in 77W flavors, which is pretty easy to fit inside. A high end discrete graphic card uses more then 200W. Way to much, hence they can only go with mobile chips.

OT: I really can't wait either. This will be my first iMac purchase and I really can't stand the wait. Seems like I picked the wrong year for waiting on a refresh ;)

macpro2000

macrumors 65816
Feb 23, 2005
First of all, the 'update' on the article just took the wind out of me. The thought of a 30" iMac would be great. I'm chugging away on my 2,1 Mac Pro Octo 2.66 with a 30" ACD and 3 23" ACDs. Crazy to think that as old as this machine is, however with upgrades CPUs, that it compares very favorably to a new Mac Pro, and that I have a crazy beautiful displays, one of which is over 10% bigger than anything Apple still makes. Crazy world we live in...it just usually doesn't work out like that.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
But no optical drive which is criminal for a desktop/workstation.

It would be somewhat annoying, and having to plug in yet another item isn't a valid solution.

I'd love a matte/no gloss iMac, or better yet, a 27" or 30" no gloss display for the new/upcoming MacPro. I think a Retina iMac is a ways off - they need to wait for the costs to go down, as a 27" Retina would cost a lot of money [I'd be willing to bet it would be $2999], and at that price point, I'm not sure that many people would buy it - art/graphics/film/photo pros will want a workstation system, not a laptop-CPU-based desktop setup like the iMac has, and most non-pros probably couldn't afford to justify that type of cost.

Couldn't justify it? They justified that amount for prior generations with the G5 and later the mac pro. Much of the time it comes down to what you get. Apple doesn't make displays that are really great for that kind of stuff. They're too far off from reference specs much of the time whether your target is to match print densities as close as possible or you're using a specialized target for print or video workflows. Basic colorimeter software has gained a lot more in the way of tracking abilities. It used to be that only proprietary display calibration software had much in the way of capabilities when it came to tracking display behavior. Anyway "retina" isn't the sole target here. Apple looks for things that will appeal to a very wide market, which is why it works for them. Color management is a bit more of an after thought, in that it simply needs to hit a minimum threshold. You should note that the imac doesn't use notebook cpus at all. They use cpu options that go to the upper end of desktop cpus without getting into the extreme edition ones that use an LGA2011 socket type. Those are used in their Xeon form (which costs the same as the equivalent i7 variant) in the single package mac pro options. The imac gpus go up to ones found only in 17" gaming class notebooks, so they're weaker, yet they aren't terrible. It's just that the 6970m has to push a lot of pixels around. Right now they're due for an update, so that could also make the thing look slower.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
I'll believe the Mac Pro update when I see it.

It will happen. Apple did say something about Mac Pros on the horizon. I can't remember exactly what was said but I do remember the impression I got from it was mid to late 2013. The best bet here is looking at intel's Xeon roadmap and adding on a few months for Apple to get them to market.

And retina iMacs? I think 2013 at the earliest, probably more like 2014. And retina on an iMac will be less ppi then on a Macbook Pro. But I'm sure it'll look amazing when it's released.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
I'd love a matte/no gloss iMac, or better yet, a 27" or 30" no gloss display for the new/upcoming MacPro. I think a Retina iMac is a ways off - they need to wait for the costs to go down, as a 27" Retina would cost a lot of money [I'd be willing to bet it would be $2999], and at that price point, I'm not sure that many people would buy it - art/graphics/film/photo pros will want a workstation system, not a laptop-CPU-based desktop setup like the iMac has, and most non-pros probably couldn't afford to justify that type of cost. The screen on the rMBP is "only" 15", yet you see what that screen costs; imagine what it would cost for a 27" iMac!

That said, I'd love to see a Retina Display iMac, but I think late 2013, IMO.

You right you right, but then againnnn. The 21.5" iMac starts at $1199. The 15" MacBook Pro (non-Retina) starts at $1799.

Laptops are usually more than desktops. So technicallyyyy a Retina iMac (21.5") could start at like $1799. 6.5" bigger than 15" isn't TOO drastic.

Or they could keep a non-Retina 21.5" and 27" while introducing a next-generation 21.5" (no optical drive, flash storage, 8GB memory standard, thinner, more ports etc.) So there are possibilities.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
After the last Mac Pro 'update', I'm convinced that Apple is just trolling us now.

Apple employee 1: "Hey Mike, let's drop a new Mac Pro product code in the OS X code for laughs."
Apple employee 2: "Dude, haha yes. I'm going to call my friend Sarah in hardware and have her etch a coded message on the next iPad logic board."
Apple employee 1: "LOL!! Yeah, put 'iPro' somewhere in it. The pro guys will be shooting blood out of their ears."

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I'm not plugged into any back room info on Pros anymore, so I am curious about speculation of what it might include. Let me list a wish list:

802.11ac
dedicated SSD slots
dedicated GPU system
typical HD spots
Overkill on the ram slots
A clear way to daisy chain MacPros
Stackable/Rackable including a special DC power port.
Integrated hubs for USB, Ethernet, Thunderbolt

Now discuss.

Rocketman

doobybiggs

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2012
I wonder if they will come out with different monitor sizes for the iMac ... would be nice to see like a 28" and 23-24" model ....

cms2

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2007
Texas
My 2008 MacPro is still working fine. (knock on wood) Although, the Nvidia card went south last year. I baked the card in the oven for 10 minutes @ 400 degrees F, and it's been working fine since then. So I can wait till next year. Glad to know it's coming though.

My first response was.. you did what? Then I did a quick google. That's just awesome.

MacDav

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2004
My first response was.. you did what? Then I did a quick google. That's just awesome.

Just make sure you strip the card down to the bare board before baking and bake solder side up. ;)

cms2

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2007
Texas
Just make sure you strip the card down to the bare board before baking and bake solder side up. ;)

Hah hah, I think at that point I would have far exceeded my competence in both technology matters and domestic ones; I can barely cook an egg. :D

So I'll leave this awesomeness to you, good sir. Hopefully we'll see an updated Mac Pro before you have to cook any more of your computer. ;)

carl0sian

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011
I think there might be a silent update on the iMac at the end of the year with a complete update (remodel) of the entire line up in the summer time of 2013 with introduction of the new OSX.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.