Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
You do realise that unlimited plans are very unusual here in Europe as well ? In the UK only one of the four main providers (3) do unlimited plans, the rest (O2, Vodafone & T-Mobile/Orange) all have limited data usage plans now.

Germany: Telekom (owner of T-Mobile) - iPhone with unlimited data plan, Vodafone - unlimited with different throttle steps depending on price, e-plus - same as Vodaphone...

Now, that is Germany only. I admit, I'm too lazy to check France, Switzerland, Austria, etc. The point is that in countries where you have no unlimited data plan, you just get ripped off. So, congratulations to the UK, and welcome to the ripp-off!

nerfjames

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2007
I was wondering if an iOS device stays connected to the wifi network for other features?

For instance, lets say I hook up an Airport Express in my car. But I only want to use it to allow AirPlay to my car stereo. Will my iPhone be able to use the wifi network to AirPlay music to the Airport Express, but use the cellular connection for safari data?

Thanks.

BJMRamage

macrumors 68030
Oct 2, 2007
nice. i hated walking to the mailbox for it only to spin and spin...i get it, the WiFi signal is low, just switch already.

east85

macrumors 65816
Jun 24, 2010
This sounds like a common sense idea, I'm surprised it took so long.

Better late than never!

TomA

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
What do you mean "Less clear?" It's pretty clear to me that in the United States, the network providers are ripping the customers off by offering limited data plans and the only way to control what your data plan goes for is making sure that "FaceTime" doesn't accidentally eat up your 3GB/month while being on WiFi (or off WiFi for that matter). This menu is a direct result of the ripp-off service you get from AT&T and Verizon. I bet no one in all the European countries with unlimited plans as standard will even think about this menu being needed.

Why would anyone stick with ATT or Verizon beyond their existing contract? :confused:

Switch to Sprint or T-Mobile...

Even as a libertarian I have to thank the government for a few things and one of those things is the DOJ disallowing the ATT-T-mobile merger.

D-Dave

macrumors 6502
Mar 16, 2010
Germany: Telekom (owner of T-Mobile) - iPhone with unlimited data plan, Vodafone - unlimited with different throttle steps depending on price, e-plus - same as Vodaphone...

Now, that is Germany only. I admit, I'm too lazy to check France, Switzerland, Austria, etc. The point is that in countries where you have no unlimited data plan, you just get ripped off. So, congratulations to the UK, and welcome to the ripp-off!

Well, "unlimited" is sort of a vague description for mobile internet access in Germany (and as far as I know in most european countrys).

"Unlimited" comes with a "fair use" restriction that limits the speed after a certain amount of data usage (as you stated above "throttleing") to 64k/sec = barely useable.
Depending on the plan one chooses this data usage limit can be anywhere between a couple of hundred MB and 20 or even 30 GB. At least one doesn't have to pay extra for the data used at throttled speeds.

Just to add some details to your post.

Cheers

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Why would anyone stick with ATT or Verizon beyond their existing contract? :confused:

Switch to Sprint or T-Mobile...

Even as a libertarian I have to thank the government for a few things and one of those things is the DOJ disallowing the ATT-T-mobile merger.

That's all nice and dandy when you live somewhere where you have coverage to choose from.

Here in the boons, this is my choices:

Sprint: nothing here. (use 3rd party but still spotty at best.
T-Mobile: 3G if you are lucky but don't count on it.
AT&T: HSPA+
Verizon: 4G - and the only 4G here

Now, I check my rebates and as State employee, I get 18% off on VZN contracts, so my unlimited data plan plus 250 messages (I never use more than 70 if it's much) and 450min of talk into other networks (never use that either all the way) and free evening talk costs me less than $80/month. So, why again would I switch? The only real option is T-Mobile but I would have to wait until they offer the iPhone so I can get the rebate - otherwhise, not an option.

sparkhill

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
+1. Mine shows a WebAAA login very frequently and nothing works, including iMessage, until you login through Safari. I really hope this is the fix.

This would be a welcome feature that I've been pining after.

I work on a campus that uses a "captive portal" wifi system that requires frequent logins. As things work now, if I have wifi on, the phone connects to the network with great signal strength but has no Internet access until I switch to safari, try to load a page, and login. In the meantime, I get no mail, no streaming, no Google Voice txts, etc.

scottness

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2009
Room 101
well duh, thats why im saying apple needs to come up with something like that. quick access to certain things would be nice

SB Settings is the most important thing I jailbreak for, and the only reason I won't upgrade to iOS 6 until it's hacked.

phr0ze

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2012
Columbia, MD

You keep using that word. I do not think it means, what you think it means. Or you are not a libertarian.

But to the other comment. T-Mobile and Sprint have worse coverage. T Mobile doesn't have true iphone support. Sprint doesn't allow data usage while on calls.

Fatboy71

macrumors 65816
Dec 21, 2010
UK
I have jailbreaked for the last couple of years, just for SBSettings. But an app I used to use frequently (Sky Go) keeps bringing up a popup up saying:

'Streaming not available on jail broken devices'

I've tried everything I can find on Google, various forums, apart from restoring as new (which I can't really be bothered doing at this time). I'll wait till iOS 6 comes along (as I will be restoring as new, I always do this when moving from one major iOS update, and see if I can then use the Sky Go app again.

If its possible to build code into apps that can determine if the device is jailbroke, then I won't be jailbreaking again, I can live without SBSettings.

astrorider

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2008
I don't see this option in iOS 6 GM. I just got a notice from AT&T that I'd exceeded my 200MB plan (which I've never done before) and I'm trying to figure out how. I looked on AT&T's site and they're showing 193MB transferred tonight at 6:30. Since I can't otherwise account for this data, I was thinking maybe this Wi-Fi Plus Cellular option was switched on, but I can't find it under General->Cellular. Any ideas what's going on?

detang

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
I don't see this option in iOS 6 GM. I just got a notice from AT&T that I'd exceeded my 200MB plan (which I've never done before) and I'm trying to figure out how. I looked on AT&T's site and they're showing 193MB transferred tonight at 6:30. Since I can't otherwise account for this data, I was thinking maybe this Wi-Fi Plus Cellular option was switched on, but I can't find it under General->Cellular. Any ideas what's going on?

Possibly, iCloud syncing?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.