Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

reminis16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 14, 2012
I have a ATV3 and my sister owns a ATV2... Im considering asking her if she wants to trade... I have never played with a jailbroken ATV2 but my Iphone is jailbroken and I love it..

Think its worth it?? This will be on my 50" Panny Plasma.

mpshay

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2008
Florida
Yes. Look at prices for ATV2s. Going for more than new ones because you can JB them. IftheJB for ATV3 ever comes out then that will certainly change.

I love Plex on JB'd AT2. My 2 first gen ATVs are just sitting in a closet despite the fact I went to the trouble of upgrading their internal HDDs a while back.

elpmas

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2009
Where the fresh snow don't go.
The hype for these guys (atv2) are overrated...if your sister isn't doing any sort of jailbreaking on the 2, ask if you can do a trade and she can use/keep your 3. Just be up front with it. If you don't need the 1080 then go for it, at least she will benefit from the 1080.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
The hype for these guys (atv2) are overrated...if your sister isn't doing any sort of jailbreaking on the 2, ask if you can do a trade and she can use/keep your 3. Just be up front with it. If you don't need the 1080 then go for it, at least she will benefit from the 1080.

Agreed. Sold my Atv2 for 185 dollars (which i bought it for $85 refurbished) and bought an open item Atv3 for $90. Best deal i've ever had on owning something for 2 years.

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
Agreed. Sold my Atv2 for 185 dollars (which i bought it for $85 refurbished) and bought an open item Atv3 for $90. Best deal i've ever had on owning something for 2 years.

I am looking to sell my ATV2 for this reason. I haven't used eBay in years and can't believe how much has changed.

MrXiro

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2007
Los Angeles
I am looking to sell my ATV2 for this reason. I haven't used eBay in years and can't believe how much has changed.

I second Amazon. Recently sold an old cellphone for 42 dollars. Charged 5 by eBay and then 4 by PayPal. That's over a 20% charge. Ridiculous.

Amazon charged me 16 bucks for my 185.95 dollar sale but gave me 4.99 for shipping back.

Way better deal.

carl0sian

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011

Agreed! I have an ATV3 hooked up to my Time Capsule with a USB external HDD where I keep all my movies and it works fine. Only problem I have is that I have to occasionally reboot iTunes. Aside from that, I'm happy with my aTV3. It does what its suppose to do. Granted I would like to see more content on it such as HBO GO.

Last edited:

Primejimbo

macrumors 68040
Aug 10, 2008
Around
I second Amazon. Recently sold an old cellphone for 42 dollars. Charged 5 by eBay and then 4 by PayPal. That's over a 20% charge. Ridiculous.

Amazon charged me 16 bucks for my 185.95 dollar sale but gave me 4.99 for shipping back.

Way better deal.

Sell it on Amazon, not eBay if you want to keep the money.
I would but I probably get more money selling it on eBay with my 100% feed back then on Amazon with no feedback. I never sold anything on Amazon before.

davidoloan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2009
I would but I probably get more money selling it on eBay with my 100% feed back then on Amazon with no feedback. I never sold anything on Amazon before.

What I was saying was that although you will get paid on ebay, paypal might take the money straight back and give it to the buyer.

I have sold 6 items on Amazon now. Nobody gave me any feedback, but it hasn't affected me. People seem to trust Amazon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.