Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

French site Nowhereelse.fr points to two new photos originally posted to Chinese forum Weiphone. The photos appear to be the front and back of the next generation iPhone logic board which houses the processor and other support chips for the device. The board is distinct from both the Apple's iPhone 4S and iPhone 4 logic boards.

Nowhereelse notes that the screw holes of the logic board lines up exactly with those of the previously leaked shells The site even created this animated GIF which shows how the holes line up. The image appears to be mirrored, presumably for clarity.

We've seen a larger number of part leaks for the next generation iPhone, but this is not a new phenomenon. Last year, we saw many parts for what would become the iPhone 4S, including its logic board revealing an A5 processor. This leak is somewhat less revealing as much of the shielding remains in place.

The increased number of part leaks likely corresponds to the belief that Apple is already ramping up production of the next generation iPhone. Apple is expected to launch the new iPhone on September 12th.

Update: The same forum poster posted early photos of the iPhone 4S logic boards last year.

Article Link: Leaked Photos of the 'iPhone 5' Logic Board

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
That animation is well done. What amazes me is how tiny the logic board is, considering what the iPhone is capable of, with the (supposedly) new processor and increased RAM.

ixodes

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2012
Pacific Coast, USA
The frequency of "Leaks" has me thinking that a part of this must involve Apple. There's simply too many, and Apple is too powerful, especially over their suppliers to allow this to continue.

As I see it there are a few possibilities.

1) Apple is orchestrating the leaks "from suppliers".

2) The suppliers have tested the waters and found Apple "looking the other way".

3) Apple's long time advocates in the industry, or the writers like Walt Mossberg, David Pogue, et al, that were the anointed ones by Steve Jobs during the early days, then continuing till Steves passing, are the ones behind some of this.

There's too much to be gained in page views for the sites, and too much benefit from the buzz for Apple. It's simply not a case of Apple sitting back aimlessly, allowing this to happen.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The frequency of "Leaks" has me thinking that a part of this must involve Apple. There's simply too many, and Apple is too powerful, especially over their suppliers to allow this to continue.

2) The suppliers have tested the waters and found Apple "looking the other way".

3) Apple's long time advocates in the industry, or the writers like Walt Mossberg, David Pogue, et al, that were the anointed ones by Steve Jobs during the early days, then continuing till Steves passing, are the ones behind some of this.

#4. Apple is ramping up production of hundreds of thousands of iPhone 5s in preparation of the launch next month... some parts are going to slip out.

arn

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Not to derail this thread even further, but what on earth did Mitt Romney have to do with anything? You read something that irked you and then you decided to vent something completely random that was on your mind.

He was referencing whether one could trust a French outfit. And thinking yeah, why not.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Tim Cook: Apple will 'double down' on product secrecy.

Y'all still think these leaks are the real next iPhone, right?

Apple could BUY that French site and put its own past prototype parts on there.

I'm still hoping for the iPhone that looks like a duck. Small, yellow and orange.

Seriously, why would suppliers risk ticking Apple off and losing their business in the next round? Why would employees risk losing their jobs smuggling busted parts out of the shop? Why wouldn't Apple engage in a little disinformation to teach a few competitors a few lessons?

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010

There's too much to be gained in page views for the sites, and too much benefit from the buzz for Apple. It's simply not a case of Apple sitting back aimlessly, allowing this to happen.

Obvious option D) the new iPhone got leaked again

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.