Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_4s_box.jpg

iMore, which was the first source to claim that Apple will be holding its media event to introduce the next-generation iPhone on September 12, now reports that pre-orders for the device will begin on that same date ahead of the already-rumored first wave of launches on September 21.

Apple's first launch wave typically includes the United States and perhaps a half dozen other countries, and iMore notes that the second wave of launches that will bring the device to additional countries is scheduled for the first week of October.
We've since learned that iPhone 5 pre-orders are currently planned to begin that same day, at least in the U.S. Release is still planned for 9 days later, on September 21, 2012. We've also learned that the second wave of iPhone launches, the ones in international markets, will begin in the first week of October, likely October 5.
The report notes that this sequence of events will be similar but not identical to last year's, which saw the iPhone 4S introduced on October 4 and pre-orders begin three days later on October 7. The iPhone launched in the United States and six other countries on October 14, with the second wave bringing the device to over 20 additional countries two weeks later.

Article Link: Pre-Orders for Next-Generation iPhone to Begin September 12?

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
I can safely say this is pretty much nailed on...I'm going to wait this time, my 4S will happily run IOS6, and if Apple don't deliver on screen size etc. I'll stick..Sometimes enough is enough.

prezasti

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
Where do I wait in line for the Pre-Order? AT&T, Apple, or is it online Apple Store only?

striker33

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2010
It will most likely launch in the same way as the iPad 3 did.

Hopefully with less yellow screens.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
Fingers crossed, been a while since I bought my 3g (no s!) and to say its on its last legs is an understatement!

Jwood2313

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2011
No pre-order from me. I want genuine, in-the-wild-reports of battery life before I commit, the 4S's is crap.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Weird if they are up for pre-order the same day. Wonder why they aren't waiting until Friday like last year.

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
How would this work if I have an upgrade due from VZ? This is the first time I've considered buying on opening day. Will I be able to pre-order through VZ?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
How would this work if I have an upgrade due from VZ? This is the first time I've considered buying on opening day. Will I be able to pre-order through VZ?

Or Apple.com. You give them your VZ info and they will see you are due for a discount.

Codyak

macrumors 6502
Apr 6, 2012
DC
Shame, gotta buy it full price if I want to keep my unlimited, unthrottled LTE :(

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
wonder which "new iPhone only" features they'll add. maybe nfc for their wallet app?

i havent had to wait in line for an iPhone since the original. i waited 15 mins for my iPhone 4 and some people already left. i guess the impatience of germans comes in handy sometimes ;)

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
If there is ONE major reason I think people should consider upgrading to iPhone 5, it's for the 4G LTE.

Screen size, camera, NFC... blah blah blah.

I WANT MY LTE FINALLY!

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Pre-Order Pro Tip: Sometimes the mobile Apple Store App has been able to bypass the slowness of the Apple.com site on pre-order day. Give it a try - you might get through much faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.