Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JadedRaverLA

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2008
I've actually had this installed for quite awhile before this announcement. I'm not sure why they're announcing it now, but whatever. A screenshot of my current Java setup is attached. They work fine together. The version provided by Oracle is 64-bit only, and isn't 100% compatible with apps designed for the old Java provided by Apple, so it doesn't overwrite it.

You have the full JDK installed. This announcement and release is for just the JRE component that will soon be available widely to nondevelopers.

I am running OSX 10.8
Pardon the dumb questions.
I downloaded and installed the JRE 7 from the above site.
When I open the >Utilities>Java Preferences.app it only shows Java SE 6 installed.

Have I done something wrong?

Nope. If you followed the link here, you are just installing the JRE component (ie. Java Runtime Environment). A new Java control panel applet has been created to manage the JRE starting with this release. Since the actual development environment isn't installed, the Apple "Java Preferences" utility doesn't show the new version. If you follow the link to Oracle, then go to the JDK instead of the JRE, you can download the full JDK for Mac, and then the environment will be available and will show up in the "Java Preferences" utility. It's rather confusing, but Apple's releases have always been of the full JDK and that utility is mainly geared for developers so only shows full environments.

Here's some links to the different versions:

Full JDK -- installs the full development environment, and places Java 7 in Apple's "Java Preferences" App:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jdk7-downloads-1637583.html

Just the JRE -- installs only the runtime environment) and doesn't make Java 7 "recognizable" to Apple's "Java Preferences" App:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/jre7-downloads-1637588.html

Last edited:

lshaner

macrumors regular
Mar 7, 2007
I am running OSX 10.8
Pardon the dumb questions.
I downloaded and installed the JRE 7 from the above site.
When I open the >Utilities>Java Preferences.app it only shows Java SE 6 installed.

Have I done something wrong?

Mine looks like yours -- I have lost the tabs across the top so I am unable find previously used applets / JavaWebStart apps and turn them into MAC application shortcuts. :-(

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2012
Who cares about Java? Java is as bad a security risk as Flash. I never use Java, except when it's an unavoidable feature e.g. of Xcode.

RMo

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
Iowa, USA
Java was once an official alternative to Cocoa for OS X development.

Apple doesn't mandate what programming language, toolkit, or runtime environments you can use (yet, except in the App Store), so I'm not sure what "official" means here, but...

What you're thinking of is probably when the Cocoa-Java bindings ("bridge") were an official Apple-supported alternative to Objective C for Cocoa development. That was deprecated several years ago after 10.4. Not sure it ever achieved widespread use, and there were other ways to interact, but most developers stuck with the cross-platform Swing, which with a little work can at least look acceptable on OS X.

marsmissions

macrumors 6502
Jan 5, 2010
Washington, US
Only a very few Minecraft server plugins need Java 7. Minecraft itself does not. I find it horrifying that Minecraft is made in Java, and it's terribly slow and buggy.

this version is 64bit, which benefits mine craft. Setting the view distance to "Far" was unstable with 32bit, and extremely nice with 64 bit.

----------

What still uses Java?

Lots of software.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I just wish they would update JAVA for PPC as some sites are not next to useless because it hasn't been updated in so long!

nilk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
As with previous Java 7 for OS X (beta release I guess?) this only installs on Lion (10.7.3) or later. There might be a hack to get it to work on Snow Leopard.

Alternatively, you could build OpenJDK or grab it from here: http://code.google.com/p/openjdk-osx-build/

I develop Java server-side apps, but we still support Java 6, so Java 6 on Snow Leopard is fine for me for now (I'd upgrade to Mountain Lion, but I'm going to get a rMBP at some point this year, so I'll just wait until then for ML). I test Java 7 on Linux for now.

macsmurf

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2007
So what happened? Where did it go wrong?

At the outset it showed such promise - write once, run everywhere.

It didn't go wrong. More than 15 years after version 1.0 was released, Java remains one of the most popular languages in the world. It's the biggest success story since C.

As an end-user the biggest reason you want Java on OS X is that you want as many software developers as possible on your platform of choice.

mdriftmeyer

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2004
Pacific Northwest
Why was Apple making their own Java in the first place? The whole point of Java was "compile once for every device", yet Java 7 was not available on Mac OS. This was rarely a problem, but it was extremely annoying when it was.

----------

Only a very few Minecraft server plugins need Java 7. Minecraft itself does not. I find it horrifying that Minecraft is made in Java, and it's terribly slow and buggy.

----------

I'm glad that Apple stopped making Java because, well, they sucked at it. Seriously, no Java SE 6 for 32-bit processors or PPC?

No offense, but the sucking was intentional. Java was never intended to be a first tier solution on OS X and I'm speaking as a NeXT and Apple Alumni who remembers all the glory days when WebObjects was ObjC/OpenStep and it was lightyears ahead of the competition.

Everyone bought into that craptastic JVM and along with Flash we've been suffering ever since.

JadedRaverLA

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2008
Keep checking the OS X Software Update [:apple: >Software Update]. Apple always releases their own versions of Java, with good reason.

Java (up through Java 6) was released by Apple. Starting with Java 7, Apple will no longer be creating and releasing Mac builds themselves.

Mine looks like yours -- I have lost the tabs across the top so I am unable find previously used applets / JavaWebStart apps and turn them into MAC application shortcuts. :-(

Up this page a bit I linked to both the JRE and the full JDK. Your issues "might" be fixed by installing the full JDK So that Apple's Java Preferences utility recognizes the install. If that still doesn't work, you might need to disable Java 7 completely for now.

Similar thing as when you can't download ML on launch that. There is almost always hiccups... May it be download issues or some servers not refreshed...

Java.com does not yet have Java 7 for Mac. The first build is done and the JRE has been released to devs at the link in the article. It will be available on java.com sometime in the future, but not now.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
You have the full JDK installed. This announcement and release is for just the JRE component that will soon be available widely to nondevelopers.

Nope. If you followed the link here, you are just installing the JRE component (ie. Java Runtime Environment). A new Java control panel applet has been created to manage the JRE starting with this release. Since the actual development environment isn't installed, the Apple "Java Preferences" utility doesn't show the new version. If you follow the link to Oracle, then go to the JDK instead of the JRE, you can download the full JDK for Mac, and then the environment will be available and will show up in the "Java Preferences" utility. It's rather confusing, but Apple's releases have always been of the full JDK and that utility is mainly geared for developers so only shows full environments.

Jaded, Thanks for the info - now I understand.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Why do people hate so much on Java? I develop with it, as it turns out, mostly because I have so much invested in it already and cannot find a good replacement that meets all my needs.

Repo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
The only time I'm even aware I'm using Java, is when I'm interfacing with my printer.

hindmost

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2009
What still uses Java?

I'm no expert or even knowledgeable about Java.

However, when Intuit's ancient Quicken 2007 no longer worked on my Mac with the passing of the Rosetta patch I gave up on Quicken and purchased Moneydance which works just fine.

However, Moneydance is a Java based application. So...I guess I still need Java.

user418

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2010
Ok, since installing ML these are my settings:

Safari-->Preferences-->Security-->Enable Java-->Unchecked

Utilities-->Java Preferences=To open Java Preferences you need a Java SE 6 runtime. Would you like to install one now?

Under Lion I had enable Java unchecked and Java SE 6 runtime installed but also unchecked.

The installation of ML did not automatically enable Java SE 6 runtime. I have not noticed any difference in the performance of my Mac, or maybe I don't know what to look for. From a security/performance aspect do I even need to enable/install any of the JAVA stuff?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.