Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Nuns Vs the Vatican

ST. LOUIS (RNS) American nuns facing a Vatican takeover of their leadership organization on Friday (Aug. 10) rejected Rome's plans to recast the group in a more conservative mold, but declined -- for now -- to respond with an ultimatum that could have created an unprecedented schism between the sisters and the hierarchy.

Instead, the nuns said they wanted to pursue a negotiated solution to the showdown that has galvanized American Catholics in recent months and prompted an outpouring of support for the sisters that left the Vatican with a black eye.

Are U.S. nuns getting out of hand that they need to bring in a bishop with whip? ;)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
They could stand to reorganize. Get some more women into prominent spots, appoint a female priest, elect a female Bishop... :D

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I thought the Pope was the supreme head of the Catholic church and the voice of God. So why would they not follow edicts from the Vatican therefore God's will? Wouldn't they then be defying their beliefs? Shouldn't the Pope excommunicate them? Also they don't even look like nuns. Where are their habits?

I'm not Catholic. I'm just looking for clarification.

steve knight

macrumors 68030
Jan 28, 2009
the nuns actually care about people support woman's heath and the need for birth control and such.They are actually acting like Christ not a bunch of control freaks.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I thought the Pope was the supreme head of the Catholic church and the voice of God. So why would they not follow edicts from the Vatican therefore God's will? Wouldn't they then be defying their beliefs? Shouldn't the Pope excommunicate them? Also they don't even look like nuns. Where are their habits?

I'm not Catholic. I'm just looking for clarification.
I saw one of the nuns in the Colbert Report & The Daily Show. Their point is basically that they want to help anyone no matter their religion, beliefs, sexual orientation. They have helped homosexual couples and didn't 'teach' them about why it's wrong. They are saying that they became nuns to help anyone and if they clash w/ the people in need they will not like or come for the help.
The issue here is the Vatican vs the US Nuns which tend to be the most liberal nuns of the church. There are two sides for issues in the Vatican, the conservatives or the more liberals. Usually main decisions are taken at the middle of the road, but now the Vatican wants to make US nuns more conservative in their ideals and the nuns feel if they do then they can't help as many people as they would like. My guess if a letter from the Pope says to desist and take the conservative route, then they would take it, but as far as I understand this issue is not to be decided by him.

mace85

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2011
I think it's good that the nuns are getting back to the core beliefs. Not what some sexually repressed ruler said was "dirty". If you look at the history St. Augustine declared that sex was for procreation only, and should not be had otherwise. This wasn't declared by rule of "god" but by rule of man. This is why I gave up my Catholic roots years ago.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
I think it's good that the nuns are getting back to the core beliefs. Not what some sexually repressed ruler said was "dirty". If you look at the history St. Augustine declared that sex was for procreation only, and should not be had otherwise. This wasn't declared by rule of "god" but by rule of man. This is why I gave up my Catholic roots years ago.

These nuns are not getting back to "the core beliefs". If you're actually interested in what the core Catholic beliefs are, I suggest you read the Catechism of the Catholic Church. It's tragic you cite your complete misunderstanding of Catholic teachings on sexuality as the reason you gave up your "Catholic roots".

These nuns do not represent most nuns in the United States. They are fringe heretics.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Damned liberal Christians and their accursed tendency to help people. Why on earth did these women become nuns if it was not to tow the Papal line? :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.