Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
why does the homebutton appear to drop below the dock connector :confused:

My guess is that it actually folds back so that is is essentially back-to-back in relation to the dock connector. We always see these parts completely flat, but inside of the device they can work some magic due to the flexible nature of the cable.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
There looks like some room for an apple TV in there still.

+1 for epic car mods.

Thanks! I was considering a hacked first-gen Apple TV running Leopard, but decided against that as a) it's underpowered, b) has a larger footprint than the Mac Mini (which fits nicely in a stereo-sized slot with .5" to spare), and c) it has an integrated power supply meaning I'd need an inverter to power it.

Nice, you can even get direct AC cooling for that overheating ipad3..! ;)

And I do! There is a backplate, but there are Mac Pro-sized holes drilled so I can still get air when the iPad isn't docked. (Which isn't often!)

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
If you angle it about 45 degrees away from you and try pressing things on screen (particularly along the bottom), there's no problem?

No problem whatsoever. I am using it on my belly or my lap. Are you doing these tests on a desk?

iMacFarlane

macrumors 65816
Apr 5, 2012
Adrift in a sea of possibilities
When was the last time you checked, on a Newton? ;)

Seriously though, I don't know about the original iPad (never used one) but the iPad2 has always been able to do this.

Must be true for iPhones only (lots of experience with them) and not for iPads (no experience with them).

Thanks for setting me straight, I think I'll definitely get one of these Mini's if they come along. :)

nozebleed

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
i dont know guys.....i do believe this part is legit, but i dont think what they are calling "home button" is for the home button. From all the repairs i have done, the right side that has those 2 little holes is for a cast metal piece, that has 2 plastic "prongs" for lack of a better term, that you melt flat once they are through it. Some parts that come to mind - the metal mute button frame on iphone 3GS, 4, and ipods. To most on this board i am speaking jibberish - ill see if i can find some pics when i get home to illustrate what i mean.

unless they made a seperate part to go with this home button, i wonder why they would do this...

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
i dont know guys.....i do believe this part is legit, but i dont think what they are calling "home button" is for the home button. From all the repairs i have done, the right side that has those 2 little holes is for a cast metal piece, that has 2 plastic "prongs" for lack of a better term, that you melt flat once they are through it. Some parts that come to mind - the metal mute button frame on iphone 3GS, 4, and ipods. To most on this board i am speaking jibberish - ill see if i can find some pics when i get home to illustrate what i mean.

unless they made a seperate part to go with this home button, i wonder why they would do this...

Capacitive touch home button confirmed!

;)

mute-posting

macrumors newbie
Dec 28, 2010
Maybe the headphone jack position has something to do with the adapter for the old dock connector.

Suggested by a blogger:

LL

PS: In before "This is not called iPhone 5" posts! :D

PPS: NOT in before (I know, you were joking): ;)

This sort of adaptor would make perfect sense to mee if the distance between the dock and the headphone jack is the same on both iPhone5(6?) and iPad mini parts (can't tell from the photo)

It would also make perfect sense to do it this way - apple have to supply an adaptor to the 30 pin dock connector anyway (perhaps for the first 2 generations of iDevices using the new dock connector), why not incorporate the analog signals (now presumably removed from the 9pin) directly from the headphone jack through an adaptor COMMON to all iDevices...

Nungster

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011
I always put my iphone in my pocket upside down so I'm glad they're putting the headphone jack on the bottom.

• iPhone in left had while talking or browsing.
  • drop arm and insert hand in pocket.
  • phone goes in top first.
  • Damn it! I have headphones on!
  • turn phone around so I can place in pocket.

I'm with you there brother!

hundleton1

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
Wales UK
With regards to the leaks and what Tim said regarding Dublin down on security I've come to the conclusion they're talking about stuff that's not released not what is currently about to be released they know one stuff goes into production leaks are going to get out, it's inevitable

faroZ06

macrumors 68040
Apr 3, 2009
My guess is that it actually folds back so that is is essentially back-to-back in relation to the dock connector. We always see these parts completely flat, but inside of the device they can work some magic due to the flexible nature of the cable.

Yes, the part in the image is facing away from us.

This goes hand-in-hand with the rumored Dock Connector adaptor because the headphone jack is on the right:
original.jpg

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
IMO its better on the bottom so the chord isn't in the way of the screen.

Also get a bluetooth headphones

Radio

Agreed. Plus, my headphone cord isn't doing a 180 bend as it does when plugged in to the top, and the cord drapes down. You either run the cord behind the iPad or it hangs down the front of the screen. Not an issue with the plug on the bottom.

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Yes, the part in the image is facing away from us.

This goes hand-in-hand with the rumored Dock Connector adaptor because the headphone jack is on the right

Ever heard of mockups? This was never claimed to be a picture but a mockup how Apple could do it. But I give you a tip:

It's still correct if the rumor it true that you can conect the new connector either way. Just the little print indicating the front side would be wrong... just it will look different since the rumors showed actually eposed pins. :D

alexsfagundes

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2012
This not real

I believe the iPad mini is not real. But, if is real, I'll be is very disappointed with Apple.

RichBoi99

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
Florida-904
Well this part makes very little sense... I doubt they'd put the headphone jack on the bottom judging from all the leaks...

Are effin kidding?!!!??!!!

----------

I believe the iPad mini is not real. But, if is real, I'll be is very disappointed with Apple.

Why, do u have stock? Do u think this makes the stock go down?
This will build revenue to tech they already had, it's smart to stretch what u have out and make more money, business is business, and alot of u wouldn't understand the means of making money, u need money to survive in the USA

Bensalama21

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2011
What that image suggests is that the analog audio cannot be transferred through the new Dock Connector alone! It requires the headphone jack output in addition to the new Dock Connector to go to the old Dock Connector. Either:

1. No more audio through the new Dock Connector. That would be terrible.
2. Digital "optical" audio through the new Dock Connector. Wouldn't that be a big improvement?
3. Still analog through new Dock Connector, but they decided to make it take the headphone jack too for some reason. Maybe just for physical stability?

Not true at all. It could just be there to add Extra support for the iphone sitting on the dock... Think about it. How could an adapter on a small connector like that lock on perfectly?

AtomicGrog

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2011
I really don't get the drive for a smaller sim packaging.

How much space are they really saving? they could save more by making some of the battery packaging more efficient for example. Or better still a embedded sim for the life of the phone.

What am I missing guys?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.