Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Photos of what has been claimed to be a nano-SIM tray for the next-generation iPhone have surfaced several times this month, and repair firm SmartPhone Medic now posts a video comparison (via Cydia Blog) of several next-generation iPhone parts including the nano-SIM tray and external buttons compared to the corresponding parts from the iPhone 4S.

iphone_5_4s_sim_trays_stacked.jpg

"iPhone 5" nano-SIM tray on top of iPhone 4S micro-SIM tray (Source: Nowhereelse.fr)
The comparison of SIM trays demonstrates how the micro-SIM used in the iPhone 4S/4 does not fit in the smaller tray that is reportedly being used in the next-generation iPhone. Like the nano-SIM tray, other parts shown in the video including the sleep/wake button, volume buttons, and mute switch are notably of a "gunmetal grey" color distinct from the silver color seen on the iPhone 4S. The video also shows the home button that was the first next-generation iPhone part to leak back in late April.

Apple is expected to introduce the next-generation iPhone with a media event on September 12, with the major new features of the device being a taller 4-inch display and a redesign resulting in a taller but thinner form factor.

Update: The video has been removed.

Update 2: The video is now available once again.

Article Link: Video Comparison of 'iPhone 5' Nano-SIM Tray and Buttons to iPhone 4S Parts

macrumors 601
May 19, 2011
Haha. Network companies aren't going to be happy with ANOTHER Apple SIM change. But it's good that Apple is allowed to control things like this. It really proves that Apple thinks outside the box. All that pointless plastic around the main SIM chip never really needed to be there.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
This is going to be a pain in the arse at first. Dont want to cut my sim by self any further

Last edited:

AppleMactablet

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2010
I see Tim Cook at his desk, Deletes "iPhone 5 nano sim video"
Checks off Doubling Down on secrecy

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Waiting for the obligatory irrelevant comment about the iPhone name in 3, 2, 1:

"Why is it called iPhone 5? It's probably iPhone LTE?"

WhySoSerious

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
Dallas, TX
Oh My God......why does MR keep posting the same damn articles on different days? We've seen this stuff a dozen times already about a smaller sim card! WE GET IT!

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA
How times change. I remember back in the day when Apple would completely surprise us with each shiny new iProduct. We'd all ooh and aaah at the keynote, and the next day we'd gaze at the innards on some tear-down website.

Now it's all backwards. :)

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
How times change. I remember back in the day when Apple would completely surprise us with each shiny new iProduct. We'd all ooh and aaah at the keynote, and the next day we'd gaze at the innards on some tear-down website.

Now it's all backwards. :)

Yet we are all to blame partially.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
You are late bot! I heard about this some time ago from macrumors.com front page...

This SIM card tray size differences should be second page news since there is nothing new on this new post, especially after having no YT video...

profets

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2009
The tray itself hasn't dropped in size too much, looks like they could have reduced it further.

Maybe they stayed safe with it in case they needed to revert and have enough space for a micro sim?

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
I wonder how far they are off just integrating the sim into the hardware...?

Hopefully a long way, the nano sims are bad enough if you want to switch to a non official carrier. If you integrated the sim into the hardware then you'd be locked into one carrier unless you want to buy a new phone like you already are with CDMA.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.