Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:47 PM   #51
soapsuds
macrumors member

I'd love to see Apple take a crack at a set-top box given how horrible the cable boxes are, but I can't see how this could happen business-wise, since the cable companies have a monopoly on all the content, and a near monopoly on broadband.

Since network neutrality failed, there's nothing keeping Comcast from throttling packets from Apple's streaming server to force people to use Comcast on-demand, etc. Apple has no leverage in this arena, unless they made a huge acquisition.
soapsuds is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:52 PM   #52
juker12
macrumors newbie

Hd tv apple, apple tv movies agreements, production agreements, it sounds like s h i t summer or Reuters viral reputation Apple WSJ s h i t reload

WSJ=Digitimes

Last edited by maflynn; Aug 16, 2012 at 05:29 AM. Reason: removed image
juker12 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 08:59 PM   #53
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Another Apple TV rumor. And more 'Apple to shake up the TV industry' hyperbole. zzzzzz
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:00 PM   #54
Keebler
macrumors 68030

Whether or not it's Apple, I think this is the way the industry needs to go.

We canceled TV a year and a half ago. I don't miss it and most of the shows I watch are available through the network websites.

However some of the shows like AMC HBO etc. are unavailable so I would be willing to pay to have those channels available to me without paying the satellite or cable subscription.

Even if I had to pay $25 for that channel or this channel and it all added up to what I was spending on satellite before, I'd be fine with that as it would be content I want rather than having a pile of garbage channels shoved down my throat.

The TV delivery industry needs to change. The technology is available to make those changes whereas before, we didn't have choices.

However, I do see some major challenges regarding advertising as we all know commercials are how the networks get paid.

Hopefully Apple can figure it out (or someone else - as much as a fanboy I am, I could care less who it is as long as it changes

Cheers,
Keebler
Keebler is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:01 PM   #55
MacDav
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
I for one have had it with the big cable companies pushing us around and taking advantage when there are limited-to-no other options in the area.

On that premise, I recently cancelled cable (retaining internet). I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER... I went from $125/month for cable/internet to $50/month high speed internet. That's $75 PER MONTH that I am saving. That leaves me PLENTY of money for netflix, hulu, pandora (all of which I now subscribe to), Amazon prime, a TV mount and a fancy antenna for local stations.

Be careful who you partner with Apple... I liked the talks of a standalone apple branded TV set rather than a new cable box for my non-subscription...
I did the basically the same thing, only I got a TIVO for $20.00 a month. This allows me to record any show I want from my Antenna. I was amazed at the High Def you get over the Antenna, it's better than cable (May depend on where you live though). I talked to my cable provider before defecting and told them I wanted a la carte channels to continue to subscribe. He told me they want to offer a la carte, but the content providers won't let them do it. The whole thing is a big mess, but could be a big opportunity to the company that can "do it right".
MacDav is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:03 PM   #56
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by applefanDrew View Post
I want Sunday Ticket on apple tv.
It's free with any DirecTV plan that costs more than 34.99/month and that includes HD.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:13 PM   #57
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iBreatheApple View Post
It's free with any DirecTV plan that costs more than 34.99/month and that includes HD.
Apple would have to do something pretty f'ng amazing to pry me away from DirecTV. Don't see it happening. Why would the cable/satellite cos want to get in bed with Apple?
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:16 PM   #58
HiRez
macrumors 601

I would rather Apple blow $100B on displacing the cable companies rather than making deals with them, which will undoubtedly suck for consumers and only further cement the cablecos' iron grip on content.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:16 PM   #59
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by portishead View Post
I doubt this is true, but I really wish Apple would release a set top box like Tivo.
Why would they need to do that when they have the iTunes store. No ads, pretty decent quality. All they need to do is work out better release timing and pricing.
charlituna is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:21 PM   #60
Billy Boo Bob
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
Why would they need to do that when they have the iTunes store. No ads, pretty decent quality. All they need to do is work out better release timing and pricing.
Pricing is the biggie for me... If I were to order full seasons of all the shows that I want to watch it would cost me a fortune.

And it's none of your damn business what Apple gear I own.
Billy Boo Bob is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:23 PM   #61
bommai
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Fusion View Post
This is all so wrong...

I want a box that helps me CUT THE CORD with cable companies, not a box that keeps me with them!!!
That is exactly what I was thinking too. I already cut the cord and have not missed it.
bommai is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:25 PM   #62
portishead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlituna View Post
Because iTunes store doesn't have live tv. It's also way too expensive. The main networks are pretty much free.
portishead is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:28 PM   #63
Abobrek
macrumors member

Apple is known to set industry standards, for example iTunes. I think what Apple has plans to do is change the entire cable industry by doing something similar to what is done with the iPhone and iPad, by creating the hardware with features installed in them and having each individual company sell them with a plan. Cable companies would be like wireless carriers, a monthly fee would be charged just as they do now but, instead of a cable box, the customer would purchase an entire tv, in this case an Apple retina television. It is done in the wireless industry, why not the cable industry? A customer could as well buy an Apple tv at major retailers just as they would if they were in the market for a television today. Major retailers offer the ability to purchase Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint phones and plans, like an iPhone or iPad. It would benefit cable providers greatly, expanding their market from being solely sold by them, to selling their services in a larger commercial market, the retail store. Cable boxes are unasthetically pleasing to the eye as well, wires hang down from a tv or are hidden. If the cable box is included in the television, only one remote, an Apple device could be used as well to replace the one provided by the cable provider. Apple TV is considered only a hobby, a full fledged retina quality television with cable incorporated into it would be EXACTLY what Apple is known to do, think different.
Abobrek is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:31 PM   #64
JS82712
Banned

Steve woud've never allowed this.
JS82712 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:32 PM   #65
David Sharpe
macrumors newbie

Partnering with ATT U-Verse is the only thing I could imagine. Dish and Direct are worthless.

I would prefer Apple to create a new system and break up cable providers.

Think, ATT already has the channels. Apple develops a better delivery system over DSL. H.265 proposal just came out, cutting video bandwidth requirements in half.
David Sharpe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:41 PM   #66
mono1980
macrumors 6502

Apple needs to start threatening to buy some of these companies to force them to negotiate or to get bought out.
mono1980 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:49 PM   #67
BigQid
macrumors regular

I love TV. I think Apple could do 2 things very well. 1) Give me the best possible ways to manage and organize content. 2) Create a smooth path to take shows with me on iOS devices.
Whichever cable provider gives me a choice of an Apple cable box is the one I'm going with the same way everyone went to AT&T for the iphone.
BigQid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:55 PM   #68
koobcamuk
macrumors 68040

This isn't what I had in mind when I heard Apple had "cracked TV".

koobcamuk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:56 PM   #69
iBreatheApple
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS82712 View Post
Steve woud've never allowed this.
I'm so freaking sick of hearing people say 'Steve would have never allowed this."
iBreatheApple is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:57 PM   #70
rei101
macrumors 6502a

1. Cable operators does not have the same problem record labels had when iTunes music store came out, I mean, no piracy.

2. I work at a cable tv station with 3 tv channels and having Apple running business for them would make the entire business structure 100 times more complicated. I mean, for our company is a nightmare already.

So, I am sure Apple has a great product but the ones providing Apple with the signal are APES!!!!! and each community of APES works differently on each state.

For example, Comcast had manages our signal, in California we are fine, but in Texas we realized there was this APE who gave more advertisement to our competitors because this APE used to work for them.

Now, if Apple start to manage the signals, a lot of deals and corruption will disappear. And a lot of the actual business too. For example:

Our company has to visit every call center to promote our channels to the operators. With the Apple TV set up box, the call centers will make no sense. And... how do we promote our channels then? Should we talk to Apple?

I mean, cable operators are a very complex web that does not make any sense but somewhat it works. It is crap but you will need all Apple personnel on the field just to organize the system.
rei101 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 09:57 PM   #71
zombiecakes
macrumors regular

huh? what is there to negotiate? Cable cards are non-negotiable and cable companies are required by the FCC to support them at no cost. This must be a made up rumor, Apple and any other company only needs FCC approval to make a cable card device.

Satellite companies do not use cable cards and are proprietary networks, so Apple would have to negotiate with them, but absolutely would not have to negotiate with Comcast.
zombiecakes is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:00 PM   #72
tdar
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sharpe View Post
Partnering with ATT U-Verse is the only thing I could imagine. Dish and Direct are worthless.

I would prefer Apple to create a new system and break up cable providers.

Think, ATT already has the channels. Apple develops a better delivery system over DSL. H.265 proposal just came out, cutting video bandwidth requirements in half.
U-verse is dead. No longer being expanded. Same for Fios (except where franchise agreements exist). Cable card would be Apple's best bet for full TV service.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by koobcamuk View Post
This isn't what I had in mind when I heard Apple had "cracked TV".

Steve said he had cracked the INTERFACE, not the source of delivery.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombiecakes View Post
huh? what is there to negotiate? Cable cards are non-negotiable and cable companies are required by the FCC to support them at no cost. This must be a made up rumor, Apple and any other company only needs FCC approval to make a cable card device.
You don't even need FCC approval (other than the standard for any electronic device), but you do need CableLabs approval. So far only given to Microsoft.
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:07 PM   #73
AppleScruff1
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard1818 View Post
I for one have had it with the big cable companies pushing us around and taking advantage when there are limited-to-no other options in the area.

On that premise, I recently cancelled cable (retaining internet). I COULDN'T BE HAPPIER... I went from $125/month for cable/internet to $50/month high speed internet. That's $75 PER MONTH that I am saving. That leaves me PLENTY of money for netflix, hulu, pandora (all of which I now subscribe to), Amazon prime, a TV mount and a fancy antenna for local stations.

Be careful who you partner with Apple... I liked the talks of a standalone apple branded TV set rather than a new cable box for my non-subscription...
It will be much better to be pushed around by Apple, won't it?
AppleScruff1 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:09 PM   #74
zombiecakes
macrumors regular

Quote:
You don't even need FCC approval (other than the standard for any electronic device), but you do need CableLabs approval. So far only given to Microsoft.
Thats what I mean, basic FCC approval of the electronics. As for only MS supporting it, Linux works with cable tv and of course theres Tivo, and then there was another cable card DVR that is no longer being made.
zombiecakes is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 15, 2012, 10:15 PM   #75
dmcdayton
macrumors newbie

I think Cable Companies have a simple question...do they want to be AT&T or RIM?

Apple can support live tv via OTA or cable pretty easily. The fact they gave in on Hulu suggests they are ok giving up share on content in exchange for hdw sales

Scientific Atlanta will get crushed

Think about how outdated the concept of a channel is? There's brand and content.
dmcdayton is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion