Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Pirate515

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2011
Anyway, people have had their iPhone 4's unlocked without providing that info over the phone by friendly agents from AT&T. It depends on who you talk to. I wish I had some raw data, but I only know what I've read here.
Second that.

I have said that in an earlier post and will say that again. I bought iPhone 4 on the launch day, then bought unlocked 4S last fall and sold 4 on eBay. When AT&T announced that they will be unlocking iPhones this past April, the person who bought my old iPhone 4 contacted me asking if I could try to get it unlocked for him. I used chat on AT&T website and the first 2 reps whom I talked to refused, saying my iPhone 4 was still under contract. The third one processed the unlock, no questions asked.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
There are no legitimate IMEI unlocking services at this time.

I beg to differ. If someone actually works at a carrier company like AT&T they can access your account and send the request to Apple which I've seen done with my own eyes in 24 hours.

----------

I've added this service from eBay, which is arguably the most painless.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Permanent-F...787?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2320fb3a83
5/5, done in 24 hours, used twice so far.

You can either install SAM from repo.bingner.com in Cydia and then click Deactivate iPhone, or just do a full restore in iTunes before you place your new SIM card inside. You usually have to restart the iPhone again if you use SAM and get No Service.

People are saying how is this possible, how can people do this? Well, if you work at a carrier company in customer services you have access to anyone's account and also certain people can authorise the unlock to be sent to Apple. The unlock is done from Apple's side so it's impossible for the carrier to physically do it. The only was is to either work at Apple or the carrier.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Permanent-F...787?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2320fb3a83

You can either install SAM from repo.bingner.com in Cydia and then click Deactivate iPhone, or just do a full restore in iTunes before you place your new SIM card inside. You usually have to restart the iPhone again if you use SAM and get No Service.

For $20 I decided to give him the try I just paid and ordered from him and submitted my IMEI I report back with the end results and how long it takes.

Adrian4408

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012

I didn't think SAM worked anymore? The eBay link just took me to an item sold by the unlock club. Are they any good?

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Does this only work for AT&T?

I'm unsure. If you have a sprint or verizon 4S i think the only way to get it unlocked is via your carrier.

restored my phone and got the unlock message

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-16 at 9.04.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-16 at 9.04.23 AM.png
    338.6 KB · Views: 876

Adrian4408

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
I'm unsure. If you have a sprint or verizon 4S i think the only way to get it unlocked is via your carrier.

restored my phone and got the unlock message

Glad to see it worked. Do you just pay & wait? I'm in the UK but my phone is locked to Vodafone Spain. Any idea if this will work? I've emailed them but no reply.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Glad to see it worked. Do you just pay & wait? I'm in the UK but my phone is locked to Vodafone Spain. Any idea if this will work? I've emailed them but no reply.

they sent an email about half hour after i paid asking for my IMEI.

the listing says ATT but they also say towards the middle of the page to include your country and carrier which makes me think they might do vodafone. Did you send them a message thru ebay?

Adrian4408

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
they sent an email about half hour after i paid asking for my IMEI.

the listing says ATT but they also say towards the middle of the page to include your country and carrier which makes me think they might do vodafone. Did you send them a message thru ebay?

Yeah just sent one through eBay & a direct email (using the address on their website) a few hours ago

----------

Yeah just sent one through eBay & a direct email (using the address on their website) a few hours ago

They've just got back to me, it's only for US AT&T users

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit

LandonDonovan thank you for $20 I sure can't complain took about 5 hours for my email to come in so I'm now factory unlocked. I tried using Sam but now my computer isn't recognizing my phone. Trying to figure it out worse case DFU restore. Still I can't complain since my phone is now unlocked.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I've been looking at icanunlock.com, it seems they are now doing it for $25. Has anyone tried them?

I don't plan on leaving AT&T anytime soon, but I may be taking this phone to Japan in the future.

Had it been confirmed that AT&T cannot re-lock your phone if it's been unlocked through a 3rd party?

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico

that only works fot AT&T?

Adrian4408

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
LandonDonovan thank you for $20 I sure can't complain took about 5 hours for my email to come in so I'm now factory unlocked. I tried using Sam but now my computer isn't recognizing my phone. Trying to figure it out worse case DFU restore. Still I can't complain since my phone is now unlocked.

So is SAM working again? I used on my last phone when SAM first surfaced but then that phone was stolen & when I got another iPhone the SAM loophole has been closed. Is there now a way to unlock using SAM?

The eBay listing is no good to me because I'm locked to Vodafone Spain & this is only for US users on AT&T

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
So is SAM working again? I used on my last phone when SAM first surfaced but then that phone was stolen & when I got another iPhone the SAM loophole has been closed. Is there now a way to unlock using SAM?

The eBay listing is no good to me because I'm locked to Vodafone Spain & this is only for US users on AT&T

your not understanding yes sam loophole is closed it has been unless you used the save features. my phone is now factory unlocked as I mentioned above. I was using sam to avoid using itunes and have to rejailbreak again. ;) not 100% if the issue was caused by sam. I have pkgbackup any way so no big deal.

it looks like I have some out of date apple drivers so I will update those before doing anything.

Last edited:

apollo1444

macrumors 65816
Jul 22, 2011
mexico
I want to recommend
He unlocked my iPhone 4S in <24 hours for $50.
Excellent service, good communication. HE IS LEGIT.

does he unlock for non att?

anyone know if these guys officialiphoneunlock.co.uk/ are reliable? nevermind they don't offer unlock for MX carriers...**** that

Last edited:

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
There are many blog who are promoting legit imei unlock. They don't recommend to use cheap unlock services like $19 or less which are claimed to be scammers websites.
What's your opinion?

Keep in mind in reality the only legit unlock is a unlock done through your carrier. Anything else is what we call grey area. That said nobody has ever heard of a single case of IMEI unlock being removed once it.s in place. My phone is verified IMEI unlocked for $20. Of course if I'm trying to charge more I'm going to talk bad about cheaper services.

labman

macrumors 604
Jun 9, 2009
Mich near Detroit
So please advise me what source to use in order to unlock my iPhone 4 AT&T

this is the one I used cost me $20 and was done in about 4 hours I know two others that got there factory unlock in less the a hour. so at least a half dozen known unlocks with no issues. I sure there are tons more. FYI he only does AT&T unlocks.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
So please advise me what source to use in order to unlock my iPhone 4 AT&T

this is the one I used cost me $20 and was done in about 4 hours I know two others that got there factory unlock in less the a hour. so at least a half dozen known unlocks with no issues. I sure there are tons more. FYI he only does AT&T unlocks.

yea did mine thru that ebay seller as well… was done within 5-6 hours

vexatia

macrumors regular
Aug 9, 2008

I just ordered this. Will update with results.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.