Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:43 AM   #26
ariza910
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
while part leaks seen so far have yet to reveal evidence of the incorporation of a fingerprint sensor, a number of observers have argued that the capabilities could be relatively easily incorporated into the device's home button.
That horizontal pill shaped home button rumor from last year makes much more sense now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6325c_prototype-iphone-5-home-button.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	353235  
ariza910 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:44 AM   #27
Raftysworld
macrumors 6502

In b4 complaints about it being called the "Next-Generation iPhone" instead of "iPhone 5"
Raftysworld is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:46 AM   #28
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by GekkePrutser View Post
the iPhone's glass is a fingerprint magnet so it'd be pretty easy for any thief to lift a print off it and use it to trick the sensor somehow...
yes, because street thieves are all about james bond stuff like lifting prints and making reproductions to trick sensors. all before you can reach another phone or browser to disable your stolen one. riiight.

Last edited by mdelvecchio; Aug 16, 2012 at 09:51 AM.
mdelvecchio is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:47 AM   #29
macnerd93
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

Yes, but that has to change!
Did you read the rest of my post, finger printer scanners really don't work in all industries due to people wearing down their finger print, builders suffer from this problem mostly. My dad along with his colleagues struggle logging in on laptops what are fitted with finger scanners, due to them having really rough and cracked hands from Welding and moving equipment around etc it is on power stations and stuff mostly.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:48 AM   #30
Digitalclips
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by nepalisherpa View Post
Imagine a homescreen button with a built-in finger print scanner! No more slide-to-unlock and wrong passcode. Others would not be able to use your phone either without you physically being there.
Oh come on, we've all seen the movie where they cut off the finger from the corpse to gain access ....
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:49 AM   #31
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdlee2009 View Post
They initially screwed the pooch with Siri (beta) and I doubt they want a hit feature to go down in flames again.
huh? siri works fine on my phone -- i use several times a week it to set appointments and reminders, and send short texts as i walk.

is yours broken?
mdelvecchio is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:49 AM   #32
gregwyattjr
macrumors regular

What would be perfect is if Passbook became capable of acting as a digital debit/credit card with NFC and this fingerprint technology. I'd never have to carry a wallet with me again...
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:50 AM   #33
Digitalclips
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raftysworld View Post
In b4 complaints about it being called the "Next-Generation iPhone" instead of "iPhone 5"
I hear the alternatives name being considered were Voyager or Enterprise.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:50 AM   #34
Blaine
macrumors 6502a

Woot! I've been wanting this for ages. I'm tired of typing in passwords on my phone and laptop. I hope this will eliminate the need for passwords eventually.

Though, I wonder how the guys at Agilebits feel about this? :S
Blaine is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:51 AM   #35
AdeFowler
macrumors 68020

Im confused. Has Apple acquired AuthenTec? Their website would suggest not.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:53 AM   #36
TsunamiTheClown
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalclips View Post
Oh come on, we've all seen the movie where they cut off the finger from the corpse to gain access ....
At this point, damn the phone.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:53 AM   #37
mdelvecchio
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by macnerd93 View Post
Did you read the rest of my post, finger printer scanners really don't work in all industries due to people wearing down their finger print, builders suffer from this problem mostly. My dad along with his colleagues struggle logging in on laptops what are fitted with finger scanners, due to them having really rough and cracked hands from Welding and moving equipment around etc it is on power stations and stuff mostly.
so youre saying mobile makers wont introduce this feature because welders and your dad cant use them? er, what about people w/ NO FINGERS!? omg. scrap the whole thing, folks!!
mdelvecchio is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:54 AM   #38
basesloaded190
macrumors 68030

Send a message via AIM to basesloaded190
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeFowler View Post
It's been announced, but hasn't closed yet.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:58 AM   #39
babyj
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by basesloaded190 View Post
It's been announced, but hasn't closed yet.
I don't understand the deal. Apple appear to be buying them, but licensing technology from them on a non-exclusive basis at the same time. If Apply own the company wouldn't they own all the technology on an exclusive basis as well?
babyj is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:59 AM   #40
chrmjenkins
macrumors 603

This is terrible for horses.
chrmjenkins is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:59 AM   #41
nepalisherpa
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post
oh come on, we've all seen the movie where they cut off the finger from the corpse to gain access ....
lol
Old Aug 16, 2012, 09:59 AM   #42
JayLenochiniMac
macrumors 603

JayLenochiniMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:00 AM   #43
SmoMo
macrumors regular

Bourgeois, see!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelvecchio View Post
so youre saying mobile makers wont introduce this feature because welders and your dad cant use them? er, what about people w/ NO FINGERS!? omg. scrap the whole thing, folks!!
'just another example of the inherent filth of the proletariat scum and their disgusting 'flaky' hands, if they insist of engaging in manual labour then they don't deserve to interact with the latest gadgets!
SmoMo is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:00 AM   #44
Truffy
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
(No, it wont be in the coming iPhone 7. Weve seen front, back and home button pretty clearly already.)
Holy moly, what happened to 5 & 6?
Quote:
Originally Posted by macnerd93 View Post
I guess it would have to be non-mandatory. An extra or alternative level of security for those who could, and wanted to, use it.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:00 AM   #45
shk718
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdelvecchio View Post
he could take of his shoe and use his pinky toe
shk718 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:00 AM   #46
JustMartin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeFowler View Post
Suspect there's a number of regulatory things (like anti-trust approval) to get through before it's formalised. Sometimes companies that are being acquired don't publicly acknowledge the news until it's more certain.
JustMartin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:01 AM   #47
ViPhone
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyj View Post
I don't understand the deal. Apple appear to be buying them, but licensing technology from them on a non-exclusive basis at the same time. If Apply own the company wouldn't they own all the technology on an exclusive basis as well?
It really depends on the the agreement itself. For instance, Apple could in theory just purchase a majority stake, in which case it is both their and AuthenTec's technology.

But seriously, if they introduce this feature this September, their sales will be unprecedented.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:02 AM   #48
2005CTS
macrumors 6502

Apple Buys AuthenTec - the maker of the finger print scanner on the Motorola Atrix

Folks - this isn't new...AuthenTec made the finger print scanner on the 1st generation Motorola Atrix. I had an Atrix and this was one of my favorite features. It was part of the power button and worked really well. I can only imagine that with two additional years of R&D on this feature it could very easily be integrated into Apple's home button.

And I see no issue with this making the launch in 27 days. In fact - I will be disappointed if it isn't part of the next iPhone. The purchase of the company is late breaking news...but evidently Apple has been working on this technology for quite some time - most likely for the next iPhone.

Two features I loved about my Atrix from two years ago were the 4" screen and finger print scanner. Looks like both are now coming to the iPhone!!! Only took Apple two years to incorporate what Motorola had with their first Atrix.
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:02 AM   #49
JustMartin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by babyj View Post
Maybe they're licensing it until the deal goes through and Authentec become part of Apple? And a license would mean they could still use the technology if the deal went sour for some reason.
JustMartin is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2012, 10:03 AM   #50
ViPhone
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustMartin View Post
Suspect there's a number of regulatory things (like anti-trust approval) to get through before it's formalised. Sometimes companies that are being acquired don't publicly acknowledge the news until it's more certain.
Anti-trust approval isn't very relevant here, but yes, Apple and AuthenTec must work their way through the bureaucracy first (i.e, filing the information to the SEC for their approval). It shouldn't take very long actually, it's a rather efficient process.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion