Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Instagram has updated its app to version 3.0, adding significant support for location -- both for browsing your own photos, and finding those taken by others.

NewImage25.png

NewImage26.png

Among other things, the focus on location will allow users to find other pictures taken around them -- at a concert or sporting event, for example -- but will also allow them to navigate through old photos as well. Instagram founder Kevin Systrom told The Verge that it was often difficult to find older photos because of Instagram's focus on the timeline.
"One of the biggest problems in social media is that you often post things that are very ephemeral," Instagram Founder and CEO Kevin Systrom told The Verge. "Things live for a couple hours and then they float off into the ether." Instagram 3.0 was designed to be useful for browsing, but also as a tool to better surface old content. Until now, you'd have to thumb through a friend's pictures chronologically, whereas in 3.0, you can browse your own or someone else's photos on a map, setting aside date and time.
In addition to the focus on mapping, Instagram has also redesigned the profile and photo upload screens, and streamlined processes throughout the app. One especially useful new feature is infinite scrolling on photo feeds, making it easier to browse through dozens of photos at a time.

Instagram was purchased for $1 billion by Facebook earlier this year, though that purchase has yet to finalize. The app is available free on the App Store. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Instagram Makes a Big Push Into Location With Version 3.0

Born Again

Suspended
May 12, 2011
Norcal
One gripe is how suddenly everyone thinks there a great photgrapher by heavily filtering a cellphone photo.

Granted there are some cool ones but people get really carried away with filtering the sh%^% out of everthing.

gmaine27

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2009
The photos in map is nice and the infinite scrolling but PLEASE bring back the plain white 4x4 view of the photos. My feed and everyone's feed was messed up, especially those who are creating patterns in their feeds. This is just not cool. I hope the 4 columns will be back ASAP.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
If I see one more Instagram photo of a cup of Starbucks I might actually slip into a rage induced coma. Especially after seeing all the comments about how "artistic" and "talented" that person is.

v0lume4

macrumors 68020
Jul 28, 2012
I don't care if people feel that they're artistic or not. I just absolutely hate the filters.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Facebook wasted $1 billion to buy Instagram, a company who's CEO admits that they have zero revenue and zero ideas for how to generate any. Just one of the many reasons that Facebook stock is tanking.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
More Users.

please explain how it will get more fb users from instagram cos I cant see it

example

jimmy "hey, instagram is owned by fb and instagram is cool, lets join fb"

jimmys mate "yeh, cool!!!"

really?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
For those of you who hate the filters, guess what? There are Instagrammers who post unfiltered photos. They probably hate filters too!

Same thing with the content issue. If you loathe the "another Starbucks coffee cup" type of post, well, don't follow those people. There are quite a few folks who wouldn't dare post anything that trite and pedestrian.

If you dislike too many images in your Instagram feed, it's because your judgment in who you follow is poor, not the app itself. It's like hating television because most of the shows are crap or hating the library because most of the books are boring. There are good shows (I like to think of PBS's "NOVA" as one of them) and books, you just need to be more wisely judicious about what you look at.

It's not Facebook, you don't have to follow your friends. I occasionally unfollow Instagrammers if I think their content quality is lacking/uninteresting.

Now, if you don't like looking at photos on your smartphone, then yeah, Instagram sucks.

Last edited:

Sayer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2002
Austin, TX
Oh goody, trust fund-babies can now share their haute locales with us, along with how awesomely good looking they think they are.

taxiapple

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2009
I'm getting worried about locations being part of the metadata of a photo.

I was recently sent a photo, put in into my iphoto library and the exact location it was taken showed up on maps. I'm certain the sender would have been surprised or even horrified to know they were sending their location along with the photo.

I see this becoming a huge and potentially dangerous problem with stalkers, internet dating, ect.

Most times and with most photos I could care less if the location data is included, however there are times I think privacy should be important.

I would only want location info given out when I expressly authorize it

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England

I was recently sent a photo, put in into my iphoto library and the exact location it was taken showed up on maps. I'm certain the sender would have been surprised or even horrified to know they were sending their location along with the photo.

I see this becoming a huge and potentially dangerous problem with stalkers, internet dating, ect.

Most times and with most photos I could care less if the location data is included, however there are times I think privacy should be important.

I completely agree, for a lot of photos I've been sending over the internet I've been removing the location info.
A lot wouldn't have a clue how to do that though.

Certainly for sites like eBay, if I was selling something really expensive I wouldn't want any location info in that picture, you never know who could just extract the location and steal it! (maybe too paranoid?!) - I don't know if some sites automatically remove it? Do they?

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Their loss.

There are some superb photographers on Instagram. There are great photos all over the Internet, not just Instagram; it's their fault if they are too brain-damaged to be selective at which photographers they follow.

Oh well...

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

1 - When you first launch the camera app you have to give it permission to attach your location to photos you take.

2 - Each time you take a photo, if it's attaching your location to it, it's showing it at the top of the screen.

3 - If you don't like it sharing your location, then you can go into Location settings and revoke its permission to use your location.

Having said that, yeah, it would be nice if maybe they offered some kind of alert whenever you share a photo that says "Hey, your location data is attached to this photo, would you like to use a copy without the location data instead?"... possibly with a "Never ask again" checkmark.

Psycho Mantis

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
California
Their loss.

There are some superb photographers on Instagram. There are great photos all over the Internet, not just Instagram; it's their fault if they are too brain-damaged to be selective at which photographers they follow.

Oh well...

This.

I follow many photographers that post some amazing things. They are all beautifully edited and unique in their own ways. None of them use the Instagram presets either, many many apps are involved.

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
Oh goody, trust fund-babies can now share their haute locales with us, along with how awesomely good looking they think they are.

Because only trust fund-babies can afford an iPhone and the free Instagram app?

Banality crosses all class boundaries.

demoend

macrumors newbie
Oct 17, 2011
You could just use the Photo Mapo app to map your photos

I think the Instagram update is a nice addition. But, there no way to share a particular location of a photo with a friend. Not everyone I know is using Instagram.

However, you could just map your photos using the Photo Mapo iPhone app.

http://www.PhotoMapo.com
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/photo-mapo/id525258687?mt=8

Plus, it is FREE. I use the Photo Mapo app when I travel.

Absolutely the best way to tell my friends and family where the photo was taken!! Easy to share to Facebook, Twitter, Muzy, Email and Tumblr

Attachments

• SamplePostcard.jpg
    SamplePostcard.jpg
    428.1 KB · Views: 183
  • SampleTreasure.jpg
    SampleTreasure.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 167
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.