Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
To rule out the common suspect: The APN settings have been changed to the Straight Talk ones.

Went from unlimited plan on AT&T to Straight Talk because AT&T is just a ripoff and they started throttling me. Started on ST around July 25th.

I'm on an iPhone 4S with 5.1.1. jailbroken.

The data worked for the first few week without any trouble. Then one day, all of a sudden it stops working. Sporadically it would work, but 90% it wouldn't.

I would try resprings and reboots, but to no avail.

Called ST customer service but they claim that their APN setting doesn't support iOS 5.1.1. which is obviously a crock because it worked on 5.1.1. for weeks before it stopped.

They reset my account settings or something and then it worked for a little bit but again stopped.

Tried doing a clean install of iOS6. Worked for about half an hour then stopped again. Then I did a clean install to 5.1.1. Same story.

Now I just re-jailbroke it and went back to my preferred settings because I like my jailbreak tweaks.

Another assumption could be that they 'threw me off' the unlimited plan but I don't tether nor do I even use up much of the data (I'm on WiFi at work and at home) so maybe 400-500 MBs in the few weeks of just browsing and streaming Rdio. No Youtube. So, I really doubt that they did that. I'm sure CS would've told me.

SMS and calls work normally. It's only the data and it's a pain because I use the phone mostly for data.

Here is a screenshot of the error I get when trying to browse and unsuccessfully loading a page.

2usefcg.png

I have no idea how to fix this.

iphone4wanter

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2010
To rule out the common suspect: The APN settings have been changed to the Straight Talk ones.

Went from unlimited plan on AT&T to Straight Talk because AT&T is just a ripoff and they started throttling me. Started on ST around July 25th.

I'm on an iPhone 4S with 5.1.1. jailbroken.

The data worked for the first few week without any trouble. Then one day, all of a sudden it stops working. Sporadically it would work, but 90% it wouldn't.

I would try resprings and reboots, but to no avail.

Called ST customer service but they claim that their APN setting doesn't support iOS 5.1.1. which is obviously a crock because it worked on 5.1.1. for weeks before it stopped.

They reset my account settings or something and then it worked for a little bit but again stopped.

Tried doing a clean install of iOS6. Worked for about half an hour then stopped again. Then I did a clean install to 5.1.1. Same story.

Now I just re-jailbroke it and went back to my preferred settings because I like my jailbreak tweaks.

Another assumption could be that they 'threw me off' the unlimited plan but I don't tether nor do I even use up much of the data (I'm on WiFi at work and at home) so maybe 400-500 MBs in the few weeks of just browsing and streaming Rdio. No Youtube. So, I really doubt that they did that. I'm sure CS would've told me.

SMS and calls work normally. It's only the data and it's a pain because I use the phone mostly for data.

Here is a screenshot of the error I get when trying to browse and unsuccessfully loading a page.

I have no idea how to fix this.
Same thing happened to me before. It's probably nothing on your end. I had to contact StraightTalk and opened a ticket (on Facebook, I think) and they changed something on their end and then it worked. Try that first. I'd try contacting them again and don't say anything about your iOS version. Just say your internet isn't working.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I have similar problems at times on Red Pocket, perhaps its a MVNO issue?

I really think it is but don't know why. I live and work in the middle of one of the biggest cities in the US. Never had a problem with the AT&T network, just their prices.

And Straight Talk uses the AT&T network so there shouldn't be any trouble at all.

I guess that's what $45 a month gets you, only part-time service.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
I'm tempted to use this company, but they have too many horrible reviews. Apparently they cut you off when they feel like it. Their terms of service is very vague.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm tempted to use this company, but they have too many horrible reviews. Apparently they cut you off when they feel like it. Their terms of service is very vague.

The setup was seamless, and it really works. Having AT&T was just terrible. They throttled me and often I'd pay more than $200 bucks for 2 lines and that was INCLUDING the FAN discount of 23% that I had, which is huge.

And to be clear - both lines NEVER went over the data/voice/text limit.

Paying around $90 for 2 lines is so much more reasonable. I'm sure the glitches won't last forever and I can handle it for the time being.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Is Straight-talk a supported official carrier?

It isn't, but I don't think it was intended that way for the iPhone. The iPhone program with Straight Talk is to bring your own device, purchase the MicroSIM with them and then use the ST network.

There is another reason why it isn't an official carrier. Offering the iPhone through ST would cannibalize AT&T sales, so it may be AT&T who is blocking this.

Virgin Mobile actually had a big user base before offering the iPhone, and we all know Sprint needs any iPhone user they can get so that's why they're allowing VM to carry the iPhone. Same goes for Cricket Wireless.

Just my thoughts, nothing is certain though.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
The setup was seamless, and it really works. Having AT&T was just terrible. They throttled me and often I'd pay more than $200 bucks for 2 lines and that was INCLUDING the FAN discount of 23% that I had, which is huge.

And to be clear - both lines NEVER went over the data/voice/text limit.

Paying around $90 for 2 lines is so much more reasonable. I'm sure the glitches won't last forever and I can handle it for the time being.

Hopefully its a glitch. I've seen a lot of complaints about people's services being cut of because they "abused" the service. This could be calls, text or data. Yet straight talk wouldn't tell them what usage line they crossed, using the service that was supposed to be unlimited. The only solution was to pay up for another month of service.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Hopefully its a glitch. I've seen a lot of complaints about people's services being cut of because they "abused" the service. This could be calls, text or data. Yet straight talk wouldn't tell them what usage line they crossed, using the service that was supposed to be unlimited. The only solution was to pay up for another month of service.

That is very inconvenient, but even then, paying an additional $45 is way less than the prices AT&T was charging. I don't mind paying for what I use but being cheated is not something I will tolerate when someone else is offering the same for a lesser amount.

Tracking your data consumption is easy - just get the MyDataUsage app for 0.99 and keep track there. As for ST terms and conditions, they won't allow tethering (which AT&T won't allow either) and they won't tolerate YouTube streaming. For me that's fine because I don't watch YouTube on the go anyway since the 4S battery doesn't last that long even when you don't watch YouTube clips. I have tried streaming YouTube on ST and it does work, haven't been penalized for it.

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
It isn't, but I don't think it was intended that way for the iPhone. The iPhone program with Straight Talk is to bring your own device, purchase the MicroSIM with them and then use the ST network.

There is another reason why it isn't an official carrier. Offering the iPhone through ST would cannibalize AT&T sales, so it may be AT&T who is blocking this.

Virgin Mobile actually had a big user base before offering the iPhone, and we all know Sprint needs any iPhone user they can get so that's why they're allowing VM to carry the iPhone. Same goes for Cricket Wireless.

Just my thoughts, nothing is certain though.

Is the phone fully unlocked? If you are messing with APN, it sounds like maybe you are trying to work around iOS to force something to work that shouldn't? Reminds me of the days when people were trying to tether by modifying the APN settings on their iPhones.

I hope it's just a temporary outage, maybe speak with straight talk then, if it's officially unlocked and supported by their network?

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Is the phone fully unlocked? If you are messing with APN, it sounds like maybe you are trying to work around iOS to force something to work that shouldn't? Reminds me of the days when people were trying to tether by modifying the APN settings on their iPhones.

I hope it's just a temporary outage, maybe speak with straight talk then, if it's officially unlocked and supported by their network?

Yes, the phone is fully unlocked and factory unlocked.

I did change the APN settings but that's because it is mandatory. For the data to work you need to change it from the factory APN settings to Straight Talk APN settings, and then the data will work. The APN has been changed correctly.

I tried both with TetherMe (even though I don't tether, I still have the app) and unlockit.co.nz when non-jailbroken

I can't pinpoint the reason why it doesn't work, it's really just hit and miss, but mostly miss

madsci954

macrumors 68030
Oct 14, 2011
Ohio
Interesting, has this only started happening recently? I've been considering buying unlocked and going to ST and, aside from this and their CS, I've only heard positive things about ST.

swiftbmx

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2009
There's a long thread over at howardforums about this. It's been happening for atleast 2 weeks now. It's with all AT&T MVNO's unfortunately. Let's hope it's temporary because Straight Talk has no answers. For now, turn on airplane mode, wait 5 seconds and then turn it back on. This usually fixes it.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
There's a long thread over at howardforums about this. It's been happening for atleast 2 weeks now. It's with all AT&T MVNO's unfortunately. Let's hope it's temporary because Straight Talk has no answers. For now, turn on airplane mode, wait 5 seconds and then turn it back on. This usually fixes it.

Do you have the link to the thread? Finding it is a pain

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
That's really unfair if you bought it unlocked and the network is still having issues.

I think your best bet is really to just get in touch with Straight Talk customer service rep, they need to either give you a refund or explain why the service you are paying for isn't being provided.

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
That's really unfair if you bought it unlocked and the network is still having issues.

I think your best bet is really to just get in touch with Straight Talk customer service rep, they need to either give you a refund or explain why the service you are paying for isn't being provided.

Refund, lol lol lol lol lol

rajivvarma

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2008
This has been happening to me for the last few days. I was able to resolve it by turning data off and then on.

ValerieDurden

macrumors 6502a
Feb 3, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Yep it's happening to me on Red Pocket as well.

Grimsrud

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
I'm having the same issue on my factory unlocked 64GB 4S. I can get the data started up again by switching on Airplane Mode for a couple seconds, but it's just incredibly frustrating. Since I make use of wifi frequently, the most data I've ever used in a month on my phone is 1GB, so it isn't because I'm using up too much data. There's no way in hell I'd consider going back to AT&T, but I really hope this gets ironed out within the near future. Hopefully, someone here knows about a patch or something that can fix it. I initially wondered if it had something to do with my jailbreak, but it happens on my mom's non-jailbroken 4S too.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I'm having the same issue on my factory unlocked 64GB 4S. I can get the data started up again by switching on Airplane Mode for a couple seconds, but it's just incredibly frustrating. Since I make use of wifi frequently, the most data I've ever used in a month on my phone is 1GB, so it isn't because I'm using up too much data. There's no way in hell I'd consider going back to AT&T, but I really hope this gets ironed out within the near future. Hopefully, someone here knows about a patch or something that can fix it. I initially wondered if it had something to do with my jailbreak, but it happens on my mom's non-jailbroken 4S too.

That sucks, but I'm glad to hear that others are having this problem which means it's not on our end, but theirs. Not glad to see it happening obviously.

I had the same problem tonight, I was having trouble sending iMessages or Whatsapp. Simple internet tasks. Worked, stopped, airplane mode, maybe work. And if it did work after reset, then again it stopped.

I hope they fix this because this is obviously not providing what the promoted service. The FCC is pretty adamant about responding to folks. Last year I had trouble with my gf's T-Mobile overcharges, FCC got back to me within 2 weeks.

Grimsrud

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2010
I haven't had any internet issues that have necessitated the use Airplane Mode for a couple weeks now. Is anyone else still experiencing this issue? It'd be great if the issue has been solved.

petrucci666

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
I haven't had any internet issues that have necessitated the use Airplane Mode for a couple weeks now. Is anyone else still experiencing this issue? It'd be great if the issue has been solved.

Yeah, me neither! Thank God!

I don't want to jinx it, but it's working great.

However, I do occasionally run into an error that just says, in tiny letters, 'Unknown error' in the top left.

Put it in and out of Airplane mode, then it works.

I did try a friend's "4G" (not LTE) on her AT&T iPhone 5, and it is significantly faster than my "4G" on Straight Talk.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
My recollection is that this matter was not unique to Straight Talk, but to all AT&T MVNOs, including their own GoPhone service which is basically treated like an MVNO.

I'm a Straight Talk user myself, and there was only that rough patch in August.

rajivvarma

Cancelled
Aug 19, 2008
Yeah, me neither! Thank God!

I don't want to jinx it, but it's working great.

However, I do occasionally run into an error that just says, in tiny letters, 'Unknown error' in the top left.

Put it in and out of Airplane mode, then it works.

I did try a friend's "4G" (not LTE) on her AT&T iPhone 5, and it is significantly faster than my "4G" on Straight Talk.

Yeah I sometimes run into that problem too with Straight Talk. Otherwise, it's been relatively problem-free since all of those Internet problems arose 1 month ago.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.