Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

UBreakiFix has received these photos of the full front panel of the next generation iPhone from one of their distributors.

The parts don't appear to be particularly revealing. We've seen similar components before with the exception of a close look at the new iPhone's LCD screen.

The new screen is said to have increased to 4" in diagonal (up from 3.5") while preserving the same pixel density as the current iPhone design. This would provide apps with additional screen space to fill. UBreakiFix also provided a zoomed in photo of the top area with serial numbers and LCD connector.

The new iPhone is expected to be launched on September 12th.

Article Link: Complete 'iPhone 5' Front Panel and 4" Screen Photos

GBrooks

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2011
London, UK
'Introducing the new Apple 'Build your own iPhone' set! New parts available every week from a newsa- err, I mean rumour site near you!'

Last edited:

joelisfar

macrumors regular
Jun 29, 2012
Taller = Wider

I'm really excited about the taller screen but I have a question –*when the phone is in landscape mode with the keyboard up, how big will the keyboard be?

If they scaled it up there would be very little left to show the rest of the screen. If they stretched it out the buttons would look funny. Maybe they would add some buttons to the landscape keyboard... but what buttons?

frank8880

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2012
Steve would have never allowed this, and after Tim saying he was doubling down on security, i seriously don't think this will be the new iPhone at all, we will all be amazed on Sep 12th.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Whoever doesn't believe this is the new iPhone is in pure denial. I will be floored if Apple revealed something different than the leaks we've seen.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
Now a great warrior will span the globe looking for all the pieces and will summon a dragon to grant him wishes when his task is complete.

I'm really excited about the taller screen but I have a question –*when the phone is in landscape mode with the keyboard up, how big will the keyboard be?

If they scaled it up there would be very little left to show the rest of the screen. If they stretched it out the buttons would look funny. Maybe they would add some buttons to the landscape keyboard... but what buttons?
Numpad, punctuation, etc. Several choices.

MattMJB0188

macrumors 68020
Dec 28, 2009
Steve would have never allowed this, and after Tim saying he was doubling down on security, i seriously don't think this will be the new iPhone at all, we will all be amazed on Sep 12th.

Then why are all these rumors so consistent? If this ends up being the next iphone, which it will, many including myself will be very disappointed. Why do they feel they don't have to change anything drastically? And yes it needs it.

frank8880

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2012
Then why are all these rumors so consistent? If this ends up being the next iphone, which it will, many including myself will be very disappointed. Why do they feel they don't have to change anything drastically? And yes it needs it.

maybe they are so consistent because apple is making everybody believe them so? imo it's just one of apple's prototype's that they have never used or some weird prototype made specifically to fool people and undercover the 2012 iphone. just think about it.

iBreatheApple

macrumors 68030
Sep 3, 2011
Florida

Many, including yourself, will still purchase it.

Last edited:

HobeSoundDarryl

macrumors G5

Diagonal stretch from 3.5" to 4" is not some huge change as measured in a purely vertical scale. The landscape screen will not be 0.5" wider.

Diagram a rectangle of that screen size in something like Pages at the new dimensions and print it. Cut it out and lay it on your existing iPhone. The difference is relatively minor- nothing like some people are imagining. The virtual keys on the keyboard might expand at a very minor scale and/or spacing between the keys might increase by a few pixels. Again, print out a scale mockup and lay it on your phone and any imagination of an unwieldy expansion will quickly dissipate.

Andronicus

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2008
ok, stupid question

"The new screen is said to have increased to 4" in diagonal (up from 3.5")"

So are all the rumors still pointing to that we will have an iPhone that is the same width, but longer?

troop231

macrumors 603
Jan 20, 2010
Taller iPhone looks kinda ugly imo. Extra screen space will be nice though.

Last edited:

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
As the great late Steve Jobs would say..... if you have seen this already just stop me.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD

Let's see:
  • New screen with several new technologies possible including in-cell, IGZO and gorilla glass 2.
  • New housing with full metal back. 1.2mm thinner.
  • New battery with a different chemistry.
  • LTE
  • First non refresh iOS device with 32nm processor. All rumors say more than just an A5 die shrink.
  • New dock connector.
  • New headphone jack location.
  • FaceTime camera moved.
  • Thinner top and bottom bezels.
  • New smaller SIM standard.
  • Possible NFC.
  • Possible 1GB RAM.

This is the most drastic generational change since it launched. I don't know what else you guys are expecting, and neither do you. Everyone fails to come up with an answer as to what would constitute a drastic change except a huge screen. Well, that's a user preference thing. Not everyone is going to be receptive to a 4.7" screen coming from a 3.5" screen so get over that idea.

Last edited:

brock2621

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2007
Kentucky

I promise frank, this is the next iPhone. You have to understand that this will likely be the BIGGEST consumer product launch in history, so they have to make millions and millions of these. Along with the shrinking size of these types of devices, it's completely understandable that some of the 30-60 pieces of the multi-million production will leak. It's impossible to do otherwise unless they move back to the original iPhone strategy of announcing 6 months early, showing just a prototype off on stage, and THEN putting in the order for 22 million...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.