Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sammy.d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
I am trying to find a way to send text messages from my iPhone when on my iPad. I have tried using iMessage but can't quite get it to work the way I would like it. I don't like the idea of people having to send messages to my email address for the message to appear on both my iPad and iPhone. But I also need this to work regardless of whether using iMessages or normal text messages.

I basically want to be able to use my iPad the same way I use my iPhone to send texts and when I send a message from my iPad for it to be sent via my iPhones number, not my email. When I receive/send a text, I want it to appear on both my iPhone and iPad and when I read the message on one, for it to be marked as read on the other.

Can anyone tell me how I can do this? Is iMessage capable of this or is there a third party app/tweak available(I am jailbroken)???

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
as for iMessage, in iOS 6 it'll be possible to set your mobile phone number that's associated with your apple ID as both the ID to receive and send iMessages. at least it works on my iPad running iOS 6 beta 4.

regarding SMS, I don't think it'll ever be possible to "cross-link" your iPad with a mobile phone number as that could pose a huge risk (spoof SMS etc).

sammy.d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Ok, I just looked up the new features in ios 6 and the new messages looks like it does what I want, other than supporting text messages.

If anyone comes across something similar to the new functionality of the ios 6 messages that supports standard carrier text messages as well, please post it here!!!

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Ok, I just looked up the new features in ios 6 and the new messages looks like it does what I want, other than supporting text messages.

If anyone comes across something similar to the new functionality of the ios 6 messages that supports standard carrier text messages as well, please post it here!!!

How you expect to have carrier texting with no cell phone?
It's a whole different system that needs to associate with a cell number and communicate with the carrier something the iPad doesn't do.
Furthest you can go is iMessages or any other messaging service app.

sammy.d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Applejuiced, if I didn't make myself clear, I don't intend to send text messages without a phone, I believe I said send them from my iPad through my iPhone. I wasn't expecting there to be a way to connect directly to carrier networks but I didnt think it unreasonable for there to be a way for my phone to connect to my iPad (via Bluetooth, wifi, iCloud, iMessages ... Whatever) and forward on those messages that I typed on my iPad, and send to the iPad the messages that the phone receives.

Surely it's possible.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
Applejuiced, if I didn't make myself clear, I don't intend to send text messages without a phone, I believe I said send them from my iPad through my iPhone. I wasn't expecting there to be a way to connect directly to carrier networks but I didnt think it unreasonable for there to be a way for my phone to connect to my iPad (via Bluetooth, wifi, iCloud, iMessages ... Whatever) and forward on those messages that I typed on my iPad, and send to the iPad the messages that the phone receives.

Surely it's possible.

You would somehow need to clone your iphone's sim and use it in the ipad and then have the network identify and communicate with your device and send them to both your cell and your ipad.
Its not as simple as you think to receive texts, calls, mms or other basic cellphone function to your ipad using your cellular number.
Carriers have strict security rules when it comes to stuff like that. Its not just like an email you can forward or send a copy to another email account.

vettori

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2008
Italy, near Venice
Surely it's possible.

It CAN be done but you need
1) an app running on the iPhone at the time you want to send the text from the iPad and,
2) you must press a button on the iphone to confirm the message.

I was thinking to add the feature to my Group Text! app but for most users the two requirements above are not acceptable (and they are system requirements so no app can work around them).

May I ask why not use the phone ? Is it for use the larger iPad screen and keyboard ?

sammy.d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Surely being jailbroken could let you get around having to run those requirements (running the app and pressing the button)...

Yes, it is because of the larger keyboard and also because I do a lot of work on my iPad so it is usually right in front of me.

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Surely being jailbroken could let you get around having to run those requirements (running the app and pressing the button)...

Yes, it is because of the larger keyboard and also because I do a lot of work on my iPad so it is usually right in front of me.

Just because you are jailbroken does not mean you can magically work around the limitation of SMS which requires a 3G or 4G connection. Your only bet would be to use a 3rd party app that sends them through their program on your behalf. Apple will never allow such an app in the App Store so Cydia will be your only hope.

sammy.d

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 18, 2010
Something like WifiSMS is able to access the iphones SMS messages and even send them from a computer so it is obviously possible to do this. Therefore it must be possible for an app to access the phone's messages, just as WifiSMS does, and relay this information to my iPad via some kind of service.

The issue I have with WifiSMS is that it is not a very nice app to use and is in my opinion 'not ready' (although I believe the bloke who made it does it in his own time, so I am not having a go at him).

Anyway, this proves that it should be possible. Or is there a reason why all of you think this is an impossible feat, even though it has already been half done???

MacManiac76

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2007
Arizona
Something like WifiSMS is able to access the iphones SMS messages and even send them from a computer so it is obviously possible to do this. Therefore it must be possible for an app to access the phone's messages, just as WifiSMS does, and relay this information to my iPad via some kind of service.

The issue I have with WifiSMS is that it is not a very nice app to use and is in my opinion 'not ready' (although I believe the bloke who made it does it in his own time, so I am not having a go at him).

Anyway, this proves that it should be possible. Or is there a reason why all of you think this is an impossible feat, even though it has already been half done???

Contact one of those developers and ask them. If anybody knew how to do it here or had done it before it would be here already.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
GoogleVoice number? Supports SMS doesn't it. App should work on the iPad.

No personal experience.

gettothefarm

macrumors newbie
Nov 20, 2012
I'm surprised so many people don't get what you're asking...

The answer is that Apple has not implemented it (not speaking for jail broken devices).
It makes absolute sense that any SMS sent from the iPad replicates to the iPhone and visa versa, just that Apple needs to include the logic to support this. I too would like this feature, and it is highly likely that it will come soon.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
GoogleVoice number? Supports SMS doesn't it. App should work on the iPad.

No personal experience.

yep..but i believe youd have to port your number to googlevoice and wouldnt that make your phone null unless using the googlevoice app?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.