Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

minnus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 12, 2011
I spoke too soon....they are saying tough cookies because the warranty period is over (my fault for not watching movies on my MBA I guess) - further, they essentially told me that they think all of you are full of crap (when I mentioned this forum, and this thread) they said "Anyone can write whatever they want on the Internet - we have no record of screen issues with the MBA").

I love my NBA - and I consider myself a convert (was always a PC guy until my MBA) - but I do have to mention that Samsung fixed my laptop a year and a half past warranty expiration because the problem was obviously not something I did - and they did it gladly. Something to think about for my next purchase :(

Yeah, this is one of those issues where some people simply do not notice - and because most people do not notice it, it is not 'recorded' as a problem. The ONLY way they can say with certainty that this issue does not exist is if they can say with 100% confidence that the MBA lid does NOT flex. This issue is caused by the screen flexing. Simple as that. If it flexes, it will happen.

---

Apple's 'legendary' customer service has been overhyped by those randomly selected to receive favorable service.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreenSavrz.aspx

These are maybe worth looking at. Although, not exactly convenient to have to wait up to a couple of weeks for delivery for me, and the damage has already been done now, anyway. I sincerely hope it's not going to cost me an arm and a leg to get this screen replaced.

I got one of these, except from Amazon so I'd get it faster. Am I the only one that saw the low clearance and figured I'd need one of these with the Macbook Air? I carry my Macbook Air in my backpack with books and other equipment and figured if there was ANY pressure the keys would be touching the screen. So got one of these, 5 months later with my Macbook Air spending a lot of its life in my backpack - no problems with the screen.

http://www.amazon.com/RadTech-Scree...=1345478386&sr=8-1&keywords=macbook+air+cloth --- that's the one I got. Actually got 2 cuz I lost mine a month ago and bought another.

Got one of those incase covers that I slip my macbook air into when I'm not using it.

Crazy Badger

macrumors 65816
Apr 1, 2008
Scotland
I guess I was lucky as the Apple Store in Glasgow replaced my screen with the same damaged in just under 3 hours whilst I popped to the cinema to watch Prometheus :D No questions either!

Pretty sure it's caused by pressure on the screen when carrying the laptop in a padded case inside a laptop bag, and have bought one of these when I'm out and about > http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreenSavrz.aspx

Don't use it if I'm just closing the screen and not putting it in a case as there's no pressure. Only had it replaced a few months ago but still looks like new

Owsi

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2012
I guess I was lucky as the Apple Store in Glasgow replaced my screen with the same damaged in just under 3 hours whilst I popped to the cinema to watch Prometheus :D No questions either!

Pretty sure it's caused by pressure on the screen when carrying the laptop in a padded case inside a laptop bag, and have bought one of these when I'm out and about > http://www.radtech.us/Products/NotebookScreenSavrz.aspx

Don't use it if I'm just closing the screen and not putting it in a case as there's no pressure. Only had it replaced a few months ago but still looks like new

But if some of you have had luck getting the displays replaced, wouldn't that mean there is a record in the Apple system of this problem?

I have an issue with my Apple reps attitude by the way - basically she said, there is no record of this, so it's not a problem. But for every problem, there must be a FIRST report, right? And for each of those first reports, there would not be a record of it in the Apple system...

Anyway, for those of you that had luck getting the displays replaced, do you have any reference/case numbers I could provide to my Apple rep to prove that (A) you had this problem and (B) Apple fixed it for you?

Thanks!

Owsi

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2012
Yay! They will replace the screen, but I'll pay for labor. Seems fair enough since it is out of warranty. I am pretty happy about that. I just had to be persistent :)

theoark

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2012
how much for labor?

Yay! They will replace the screen, but I'll pay for labor. Seems fair enough since it is out of warranty. I am pretty happy about that. I just had to be persistent :)

how much did you have to pay for labor? thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.