Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Original poster
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
RIP Phyllis Diller
This generation prolly never knew you

Comedian Phyllis Diller Dead at 95

Legendary comedienne Phyllis Diller died Monday at her home in Los Angeles at the age of 95.

While today’s audiences may not be overly familiar with Diller, she paved the way for female comedians everywhere.

She started working in the 1950s, appearing on radio and as a stand-up comic. In the 1960s she was featured frequently on game shows such as What’s My Line? and variety shows such as Rowan and Martin’s Laugh-In. She appeared alongside Bob Hope in 23 television specials and three films.

Diller also worked as a voice actor in films such as A Bug’s Life and in the role of Peter Griffin’s mother on Family Guy. Diller was still working as late as 2007.
In the 2005 documentary, The Aristocrats, Diller was one of the standouts — and arguably funnier than those even a quarter of her age.

TMZ reports that Diller died surrounded by family.

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
RIP Phyllis Diller

I'm one of the old farts who do remember...her whole career.

Never one of my favorites, but she certainly was a pioneer back at a time when the general attitude in the stand-up community was "women can't do stand-up".

She lived a long life and had a dramatic impact in her field.

RIP

ucfgrad93

macrumors Core
Aug 17, 2007
Colorado
While she wasn't my favorite, I always thought she was pretty funny. She certainly lived a nice long life.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
RIP Phyllis Diller

Comedian Phyllis Diller Dead at 95

I'm a young fart, and I definitely knew her!

Well.. sorta young fart (MTV Generation). Her runs on The Tonight Show and the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts is good stuff. NPR just ran this clip of her standup:

Phyllis Diller said:
I went to the drug store and bought some anti-aging skin replenishing cream. It came with a money back guarantee! So I took up to the counter where the clerk looked at me, gave me my money back, and gave me an advance for when I use it later!

good stuff. RIP, Phyllis, and thanks for the laughs!

EDIT: Two more good ones:

"I was so ugly my own Ouija board told me to go to hell."
"A peeping Tom threw up on my window sill!"

Yes, self deprecating, but have you seen her? One look at her and both Cruella DeVille and the Wicked Witch of the East looked at themselves and said "Damn.. compared to that, I'm lookin' good!!" :D

BL.

Last edited:

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
I'm a young fart, and I definitely knew her!

Well.. sorta young fart (MTV Generation). Her runs on The Tonight Show and the Dean Martin Celebrity Roasts is good stuff. NPR just ran this clip of her standup:

good stuff. RIP, Phyllis, and thanks for the laughs!

EDIT: Two more good ones:

Yes, self deprecating, but have you seen her? One look at her and both Cruella DeVille and the Wicked Witch of the East looked at themselves and said "Damn.. compared to that, I'm lookin' good!!" :D

BL.
I agree, Im 32 and always loved her humor.

Tranquilizers work only if you follow the advice on the bottle - keep away from children.

You know you're old if they have discontinued your blood type.
:D

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I laughed with her back in the 70s watching her on the Scooby Doo show, back when it was OK to show people smoking, even in cartoons. RIP dear lady.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.