Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

franswa za

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
south africa
My wife is a new macbook pro owner and was complaining about her battery life... only getting 3 hours or so.

I looked at what she was doing and saw 2 flash videos being streamed, 2 more being buffered and she was rendering something in iMovie. Her fans sounded like my leaf blower. :D

i'd be more worried about the macbook's battery life than the 3 hours your wife is getting.....

her fans are worry some too............. :)

pgiguere1

macrumors 68020
May 28, 2009
Montreal, Canada
Why are OS X updates so huge? Assuming this ends up being 8GB like the rest of their 10.x.x updates. My Verizon LTE bandwidth quota is nearing and i wont be able to download this.

If you can't afford downloading a <1GB file in 2012, your bandwidth quota is not appropriate. Your smartphone is not supposed to download updates for your computer. If you decided not to have home internet, you should have expected to make compromises. Apple won't make some for you since a negligible proportion of people use their phone's tethering as their main computer internet connection.

IMO, to have at least a basic internet service on my computer is more important than to have LTE (and data in general) on my phone.

slrandall

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2011
I know this is a cliched thing to suggest, but have all of you with poor battery performance done a clean install and calibrated your batteries? I used to get about 6 hours on Lion with an rMBP which is still pretty good. Went to ML, that dropped to about 4.

But after a clean install and calibrating my battery*, I can get over 10 hours on this thing. It's insane. And that's not just with it open, it's mostly with Screen Sharing on, Mathematica running, and a light LaTeX processor going.

*Also, if you leave your laptop plugged in all the time, the once a week you take it off is going to give you horrible battery life. It's just how batteries work.

tonjik

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
All of the people saying that they've never seen the amount of battery life advertised for their machines are all folks with machines that came out before Apple changed their methodology for testing battery life, I've noticed.

But I'll say that I wish Apple had focused on "fixing" battery life in 10.7.1 to the same extent they are doing so in 10.8.1. My mid-2010 MBP took a significant hit in going to Lion, and I've never recovered from it.

Exactly! Battery life of my MBP 13 2010 dropped from 7 hours to 6. I hoped for fix in ML, but it got even worse to 5 hours :-(

Apple has also hidden remaining battery time estimation from status bar in ML and now it is clear they had reason for that.

I would not care above 6 hours, but I use my Mac often when I travel to office by train while tethering my iPhone and then it drops to 2 hours, so I do care about every bit of battery saved.

Sankersizzle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 5, 2010
Canadadada
I still find this story odd. I've always gotten about 60% of Apple's estimates for battery life. Going all the way back to Panther.

I assumed they did their tests by just reading an e-book with the screen on the lowest setting and since that's not what I do, I shouldn't expect anything better.

I didn't realize anyone expected to get times like that, but apparently people do?

Under Snow Leopard I'd get 9 hours out of my MBP once I dropped the SSD in there, Lion brought that to 7 and now with ML we're sitting at around 5. All doing the same things. Battery health isn't an issue either :(.

ogee

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2006
Earth.
I just hope they fix the sound bug. its driving me crazy.

listen to the attached sound file (zipped) if you've never heard this issue. I have a top of the range iMac from last year, worked perfect till the day I "upgraded" to ML.

In addition to the sound, finder locks for seconds to minutes at a time, unexpected system stops, jumping trackpad. ugh.

I even wiped everything and reinstalled from scratch. no change.

All you hear is from an open mice recoding in a quiet room, crackles everything.

Attachments

• Memo.m4a.zip
    963.7 KB · Views: 79

kwiiboy

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2009
I just hope they fix the sound bug. its driving me crazy.

listen to the attached sound file (zipped) if you've never heard this issue. I have a top of the range iMac from last year, worked perfect till the day I "upgraded" to ML.

In addition to the sound, finder locks for seconds to minutes at a time, unexpected system stops, jumping trackpad. ugh.

I even wiped everything and reinstalled from scratch. no change.

All you hear is from an open mice recoding in a quiet room, crackles everything.

I have a 2010 21.5 iMac with ML and I don't have that issue. You might want to take that to Apple. It's very strange though.

coltman75

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
I still find this story odd. I've always gotten about 60% of Apple's estimates for battery life. Going all the way back to Panther.

I assumed they did their tests by just reading an e-book with the screen on the lowest setting and since that's not what I do, I shouldn't expect anything better.

I didn't realize anyone expected to get times like that, but apparently people do?

In fact, according to their website, this battery estimate is with wireless on, screen brightness at 50% and while doing light web browsing.

Apple.com said:
Wireless web testing conducted by Apple in May 2012 using preproduction 2.6GHz quad-core Intel Core i7–based 15-inch MacBook Pro units and preproduction 2.9GHz dual-core Intel Core i7–based 13-inch MacBook Pro units. The wireless web test measures battery life by wirelessly browsing 25 popular websites with display brightness set to 50%. Battery life varies by use and configuration. See http://www.apple.com/batteries for more information.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
I do too, I've never gotten anywhere close to their 7 hour estimates on my 2009 MBP. Even doing light tasks like reading websites and sending/receiving e-mail.

really? my mid 2009 even beat apples estimated battery life and i still get well over 5 hours after almost 4 years (barely use it unplugged)

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
How can you not notice this before public release that's the stunning thing.

Does no-one actually test this stuff before releasing it to the public?

Nalim

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
I hope it addresses the Dock issue where it doesn't go away when you take an app full screen.

Or do makers like Hulu need to use the new Apple full screen standard?

For me that full screen seems to have been fixed, the dock is now covered when in full screen mode. Can't comment on battery life yet as I just did the 10.8.1 update.

Joe-Diver

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2009

They noticed. Why do you think they hid the remaining time from the menu bar?

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham

OSX Veesta, the ten year beta test.
It just works, someday. Maybe with OSX 10.9 Circus Lion.
In the mean time, don't buy any of that Windoze junk. :D

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Well, my brand new 5 hour battery lasts 2 hours on both OS X versions.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Ah the virtues of patience. It pays to wait before upgrading any Apple hardware/software these days. Let somebody else find all the initial faults and bugs before I jump in to upgrade.

Mattie Num Nums

macrumors 68030
Mar 5, 2009
USA
My wife is a new macbook pro owner and was complaining about her battery life... only getting 3 hours or so.

I looked at what she was doing and saw 2 flash videos being streamed, 2 more being buffered and she was rendering something in iMovie. Her fans sounded like my leaf blower. :D

Whenever I launch Firefox after about 5 minutes the laptop is hot as hell and sounds like a Microwave.

lgtw

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2010
Alaska
I really hope along with this update there is some kind of bug fix. I don't know about any of you, but I've been having VERY frequent SystemUIServer (right side of menubar) crashes since I upgraded to ML.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
What mail rendering bug are you refering to?

You'll know it when you see it; I got it for the first time yesterday. Bits of your messages will "stick" to the screen and sit on top of other messages as you navigate around the app. Restarting Mail cleared it up for me but it'll probably come back at some point.

rlmccormick

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2008
a) It'll probably be a delta update, so not nearly 8GB
b) Why are you using your phone to download operating system updates? If you must just go to Starbucks :rolleyes:

It's likely that this person uses a a Verizon Mifi for internet access. I have one of these and the speed is incredible, but it is data capped.

lifeinhd

macrumors 65816
Mar 26, 2008
Not everyone lives where there is a Starbucks, or where there is highspeed internet...or a coffee shop every damn corner. Stop being a snob.

That was merely one example of one of thousands of places offering free wifi. I'm sorry, I thought that was obvious :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.