Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has removed the controversial 'Genius' TV spots from its YouTube channel and from the Apple.com marketing page for the Mac. The ads were poorly received with some critics asking if it was a good idea to make potential customers seem clueless. Others thought they were excellent ads that showed non-technical Mac buyers the support options available to them.

NewImage34.png

Apple stopped airing the ads on television soon after they were introduced during the Opening Ceremonies of the Olympics, with Apple's ad agency saying they "were intended only for a 'first run' during the Olympics". They remained on YouTube and Apple's website for several weeks, and only in the past several days were they removed entirely.

Apple does tend to remove older advertisements from its website and YouTube over time, but the company still has ads on YouTube from as far back as November 2010.

Thanks Danny!

Article Link: Apple Pulls 'Genius' TV Ads from YouTube and Apple.com

AppleFan115

macrumors regular
Mar 8, 2012
They weren't absolutely horrible, but it is good that they are taken down. The one where a guy asks how to use iPhoto left me puzzled. Isn't one of the big selling points of a Mac its ease of use? Yes. Yes it is.

coltman75

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010
Generally, I liked them. I thought they were a fun and interesting departure from the typical montage-y commercials they always do.

AriX

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2007
What? I wasn't crazy about the ads, and I'm sure there was a lot of internal conflict about them. But to pull them like this and publically admit their mistake? That's just weird and decidedly unlike Apple. How many times are they going to do this in a single month?

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
They weren't absolutely horrible, but it is good that they are taken down. The one where a guy asks how to use iPhoto left me puzzled. Isn't one of the big selling points of a Mac its ease of use? Yes. Yes it is.

But it was also to push how there's help available for those who still don't get it. My wife still needs help with her Mac, and she's had it for nearly five years. ;)

I just don't think these ads were the best way to convey that message. Glad they're gone.

guitarman777

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2005
Orlando, FL
What? I wasn't crazy about the ads, and I'm sure there was a lot of internal conflict about them. But to pull them like this and publically admit their mistake? That's just weird. How many times is Apple going to do this in a single month?

I'd rather a company publicly admit their mistake than keep going pretending nothing is wrong.

*cough cough RIM cough*

:D

Aluminum213

macrumors 68040
Mar 16, 2012
the ads weren't awful, but Apple usually has the classiest ads on TV so by comparison to Apple's usual standards, the ads were junk

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
Whichever ad agency made these ads should be fired.

They were horrible...from the scripting to the shooting to the final post-production.

And whoever in Apple approved these should be demoted.

They obviously have no 'sense' of what the Apple brand is.

dscuber9000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2007
Indiana, US
The ads should give the message "and we can help you personally if you need it" but they gave the feeling that you need to be taught how to use a Mac. It's scary for Windows users to switch to a Mac, and those commercials really didn't help IMO.

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Whichever ad agency made these ads should be fired.

They were horrible...from the scripting to the shooting to the final post-production.

And whoever in Apple approved these should be demoted.

They obviously have no 'sense' of what the Apple brand is.

Haha. Overact much? You mean they should fire TBWA/Media/Arts Lab, the same company behind the Think Different and Get a Mac campaigns along with many, many other Apple ad campaigns for almost 30 years all the way back to the 1984 classic? Sheesh. So the ads weren't great. Let's all move on.

-Ryan-

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
It was good to see Apple try something different in their advertising, as particularly their ads made for television have become very repetitive in recent years. I agree with most though that this was not a positive departure. The only 'bad' one was the having the baby iPhoto assistance one which by any standards was just abysmal.

kdjohn3

macrumors newbie
Jan 6, 2004
I wonder if John Browett had something to do with those ads.

After all, they were for the retail stores.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
I completely disagree with the naysayers. I enjoyed these ads and saw them as tongue-in-cheek. We can't all be geniuses at everything and these ads poked fun at areas where we all have shortcomings (and yes, we do.) The message I received was, "here's some friendly help to get you going in the right direction".

Thinking back to when I made the move from PC to Mac in 2006, Apple's Genius program was small compared to today and I would have felt less trepidation had I seen some light ads designed to say, "It will be ok." The PC world then as now only points fingers. Call the PC maker. No, call Microsoft. No, call the third party developer. Oh, you installed THAT. Can't help you. Bye. There is none of that in the Mac world and this ad said so in a positive way without saying, "You know how those guys won't help you? Well, we will." That's a negative message which Apple cleverly got around yet acknowledged in these ads.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.