Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kkrull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
EDIT: The thread below seems to be only an issue for EFI installs of Windows 8 RTM.

I can't get audio working on my rMBP on Windows 8 RTM x64 after installing bootcamp drivers.

In device manager I get one working "High Definition Audio Controller" and one non functional. I think the functional is for the HDMI audio. The non-functional has the following properties...

Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 7/25/2012
Driver Version: 6.2.9200.16384
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

and reports the following events...
Device PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E20&SUBSYS_72708086&REV_04\3&11583659&0&D8 had a problem starting.
Driver Name: hdaudbus.inf

I have tried the following:
removing and deleting the current driver (always reinstalls)
reinstalling the realtek driver from the bootcamp disk (doesn't take)

I notice that the usetup.iss file from the realtek folder that book camp leaves lists the following entry...
Name=Realtek High Definition Audio Driver
Version=2.49
...but theRtlUpd64.exe file property details list the product version as 2,8,0,6 with a modified date of 5/4/2012.
...and the website from which I downloaded them lists them as 2.70 (http://218.210.127.131/downloads/do...=24&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false)

Autoupdate won't replace the driver. I could try to manually install the driver but there are 42 inf files in the Realtek High Definition Audio Controller file I downloaded, none of which are called hdaudbus.inf.

I tried deleting all the entries of hdaudbus.inf but TrustedInstaller won't let me delete the copy in WinSxS.

Any ideas? Anyone else have this working? Any chance this is an Intel C216 audio controller and if so, why would the realtek drivers be included or get installed at all?

Last edited:

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Did you install using EFI?

FWIW, the main audio device listed in my Windows 7 install is the Cirrus Logic CS4206B (AB40).

Under hardware IDs, I see HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1013&DEV_4206&SUBSYS_106B2800&REV_1003
which is different than what shows up in Windows 8. However, if I look under "compatible IDs", I see this as one of the entries: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&CTLR_DEV_1E20&VEN_1013&DEV_4206&REV_1003

Last edited:

kkrull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
Did you install using EFI?

FWIW, the main audio device listed in my Windows 7 install is the Cirrus Logic CS4206B (AB40).

Under hardware IDs, I see HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_1013&DEV_4206&SUBSYS_106B2800&REV_1003
which is different than what shows up in Windows 8. However, if I look under "compatible IDs", I see this as one of the entries: HDAUDIO\FUNC_01&CTLR_VEN_8086&CTLR_DEV_1E20&VEN_1013&DEV_4206&REV_1003

I mentioned in another post that although I forgot to make an EFI only boot disc I think it did create an EFI install.

Do you have a rMBP or 10,1 machine? I do have these files, presumably from bootcamp...

CS420x64.cat
CS420x64.sys
CirrusAPO_x64.dll
cs420x_41.inf
cs420x_41.PNF

...but I cannot manually change the driver to the cs420x_41.inf. I get a "...folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device..." message.

Last edited:

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I mentioned in another post that although I forgot to make an EFI only boot disc I think it did create an EFI install.

Do you have a rMBP or 10,1 machine? I do have these files, presumably from bootcamp...

CS420x64.cat
CS420x64.sys
CirrusAPO_x64.dll
cs420x_41.inf
cs420x_41.PNF

...but I cannot manually change the driver to the cs420x_41.inf. I get a "...folder you specified doesn't contain a compatible software driver for your device..." message.

Yeah I'm on a rMBP. I couldn't get the audio drivers to install in Windows 8 (though I didn't try terribly hard). Windows 7 picked them up just fine.

You'll probably have to wait for Apple/Cirrus Logic to come out with Windows 8 drivers.

Edit: Since you apparently also installed in EFI mode, it is possible that it's an EFI issue. I haven't confirmed whether or not that's the case.

kkrull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
...You'll probably have to wait for Apple/Cirrus Logic to come out with Windows 8 drivers...

I am changing my mind on this. I think it is an Intel hardware and Microsoft driver issue. Take a look at these links:

http://www.ixitools.com/hwcat/pci_ven_8086_dev_1e20/devinfo51271.html
http://www.driveridentifier.com/sca...d=361773908&hardware_id=PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E20
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Retina-Display-Mid-2012-Teardown/9462/2 (see Step 15)
http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/hdaudio.htm

I think this is an Intel E208B284 that looks like an Intel C216 PCH (BD82C216). And I think Microsoft supports this under the Unified Audio Architecture (UAA) driver umbrella.

Last edited:

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I am changing my mind on this. I think it is an Intel hardware and Microsoft driver issue. Take a look at these links:

http://www.ixitools.com/hwcat/pci_ven_8086_dev_1e20/devinfo51271.html
http://www.driveridentifier.com/sca...d=361773908&hardware_id=PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1E20
http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/MacBook-Pro-15-Inch-Retina-Display-Mid-2012-Teardown/9462/2 (see Step 15)
http://www.intel.com/design/chipsets/hdaudio.htm

I think this is an Intel E208B284 that looks like an Intel C216 PCH with Thunderbolt support. And I think Microsoft supports this under the Unified Audio Architecture (UAA) driver umbrella.

I know 8086:1e20 points to intel hardware. But under Windows 7 at least, it does install as a Cirrus Logic device with both 1013:4206 and 8086:1e20 being listed as the device IDs.

8086:1e20 isn't a thunderbolt controller btw. The most relevant hits I can find point to it being an ivy bridge-specific audio controller.

Only other thing I could think of is perhaps Apple somehow maps the intel audio controller as a cirrus logic device through the CSM when booting in bios mode

Last edited:

kkrull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
I know 8086:1e20 points to intel hardware. But under Windows 7 at least, it does install as a Cirrus Logic device with both 1013:4206 and 8086:1e20 being listed as the device IDs.

8086:1e20 isn't a thunderbolt controller btw. The most relevant hits I can find point to it being an ivy bridge-specific audio controller.

Only other thing I could think of is perhaps Apple somehow maps the intel audio controller as a cirrus logic device through the CSM when booting in bios mode

Two interesting things appear on the online Intel Driver Update Utility (http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_spotlight_dctop10) when checking this rMBP under Windows 8. The utility shows the Chipset driver is current even though released in November of 2011. And it shows that the driver associated with the Intel Desktop board is the NVIDIA driver. Since the NVIDIA High Definition Audio is functional using its own driver, it isn't obvious whether
  1. the utility is broken and simply thinks the driver for the first High Definition Audio device (the NVIDIA one) is associated with the Intel device or
  2. whether the reason the Intel device won't start is because although device manager shows the Microsoft hdaudbus driver it really is trying to use the NVIDIA driver or
  3. something else entirely
Here are the utility results:

Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility (Chipset INF)
Product Detected
Current Version Installed 9.3.0.1019
This version is valid.

Audio Driver for Intel Desktop Board
Product Detected NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Current Driver Installed 1.3.11.1
This device is unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates.​

Yes 1e20 isn't a thunderbolt controller. I was thinking that maybe the difference between BD82C216 and E208B284 was embedded Thunderbolt support but I see in the teardown that the rMBP has the dedicated DSL3510L Thunderbolt controller.

Thanks for your help terraphantm

Last edited:

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Two interesting things appear on the online Intel Driver Update Utility (http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect?iid=dc_spotlight_dctop10) when checking this rMBP under Windows 8. The utility shows the Chipset driver is current even though released in November of 2011. And it shows that the driver associated with the Intel Desktop board is the NVIDIA driver. The NVIDIA High Definition Audio is working with its own driver. Here are the utility results:

Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility (Chipset INF)
Product Detected
Current Version Installed 9.3.0.1019
This version is valid.

Audio Driver for Intel Desktop Board
Product Detected NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Current Driver Installed 1.3.11.1
This device is unknown or unsupported. Please contact the manufacturer for possible updates.​

Yes 1e20 isn't a thunderbolt controller. I was thinking that maybe the difference between BD82C216 and E208B284 was embedded Thunderbolt support but I see in the teardown that the rMBP has the dedicated DSL3510L Thunderbolt controller.

Thanks for your help terraphantm

I ran the chipset identification utility in windows PE. Wasn't very helpful. All it said was that it was an "Intel 6-series Chipset"

What I can tell you is that when I enumerate the PCI devices in OSX, 1023:4206 does not appear at all - but 8086:1E20 does. That indicates that perhaps my theory is correct in that Apple maps the onboard audio as a Cirrus Logic controller through the CSM. However, if there is a proper windows driver for the Intel controller, I don't see why we can't install that. But it may need to be updated for Windows 8.

Best bet might be to see if there are PC manufacturers that use the same controller, and if so, see if any of those guys are able to get audio to work in Windows 8.

Edit: Actually... it looks like there might be a Cirrus Logic controller on board. I can't tell for sure, but if you look at iFixit's picture of the PCB, you can see a tiny chip all the way on the right side that they didn't bother identifying. I can't read it, but it looks very similar to the chip in the iMac that they did identify as a CS4206B (highlighted in teal)

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-08-23 at 11.17.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2012-08-23 at 11.17.51 AM.png
    594.6 KB · Views: 2,680
Last edited:

kkrull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
I ran the chipset identification utility in windows PE. Wasn't very helpful. All it said was that it was an "Intel 6-series Chipset"

What I can tell you is that when I enumerate the PCI devices in OSX, 1023:4206 does not appear at all - but 8086:1E20 does. That indicates that perhaps my theory is correct in that Apple maps the onboard audio as a Cirrus Logic controller through the CSM. However, if there is a proper windows driver for the Intel controller, I don't see why we can't install that. But it may need to be updated for Windows 8.

Best bet might be to see if there are PC manufacturers that use the same controller, and if so, see if any of those guys are able to get audio to work in Windows 8.

I was hoping that Intel would have the drivers but there is no Intel 6-series Chipset listed here (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Def...+Chipset&ZeroResult=True&lang=eng&ProdId=3301) and of course the rMBP is using a C216 modified chipset which is really a 7-series and no 7-series are listed at all.

It is possible that Intel is OEMing the Cirrus Logic for its chipset.

The CirrusAPO_x64.dll driver in Bootcamp shows file properties version of 1.0.1.19, a modified date of 6/13/2012 and a file size of 73.3 kb. The same file from Cirrus (CS4207_WinVista_Win7_32-64-bit_6-6001-1-30) shows the same version number 1.0.1.19, but a modified date of 8/16/2010 and a file size of 67.5 kb. I understand the Cirrus CS420x is a modified verison of the CS4207.

I think your instinct is right about chasing either Intel and\or Cirrus OEMs to see if they publish later drivers. Seems like an especially big pain on the Cirrus side when the version numbers aren't updated.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I was hoping that Intel would have the drivers but there is no Intel 6-series Chipset listed here (http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Def...+Chipset&ZeroResult=True&lang=eng&ProdId=3301) and of course the rMBP is using a C216 modified chipset which is really a 7-series and no 7-series are listed at all.

It is possible that Intel is OEMing the Cirrus Logic for its chipset.

The CirrusAPO_x64.dll driver in Bootcamp shows file properties version of 1.0.1.19, a modified date of 6/13/2012 and a file size of 73.3 kb. The same file from Cirrus (CS4207_WinVista_Win7_32-64-bit_6-6001-1-30) shows the same version number 1.0.1.19, but a modified date of 8/16/2010 and a file size of 67.5 kb. I understand the Cirrus CS420x is a modified verison of the CS4207.

I think your instinct is right about chasing either Intel and\or Cirrus OEMs to see if they publish later drivers. Seems like an especially big pain on the Cirrus side when the version numbers aren't updated.

Well, I can now confirm that there is a Cirrus device in here. Why it's not showing up in EFI mode (and why it doesn't seem to be listed even in OSX), I'm not sure

http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/...acbook-pro-with-retina-display/6372862?seq=79

I also don't know of any other manufacturers that use Cirrus Logic audio controllers

Maybe I'll try installing Windows 8 in BIOS mode and see if the audio controller is picked up then

kkrull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
Well, I can now confirm that there is a Cirrus device in here. Why it's not showing up in EFI mode (and why it doesn't seem to be listed even in OSX), I'm not sure

http://www.techrepublic.com/photos/...acbook-pro-with-retina-display/6372862?seq=79

I also don't know of any other manufacturers that use Cirrus Logic audio controllers

Maybe I'll try installing Windows 8 in BIOS mode and see if the audio controller is picked up then

It will be funny and sad if we solve the Intel driver issue only to find out that the Intel HDMI is not in use because the machine doesn't know how to switch or use both in Windows and that the Cirrus audio isn't visible at all under EFI boot, hence no audio. Curious how your or anyone else's Windows 8 BIOS install goes. If anyone else does this, listing the devices in Device Manager under "Sound, video and game controllers" could help.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Did a little research - found that there are others (non-Macs) that had similar HD Audio Bus issues in UEFI mode. More importantly, at least one of those issues were fixed by a BIOS/EFI update.

So... I think this will only get fixed if Apple wants it to. Unless we're able to sufficiently reconfigure various EFI settings to get it to work

kkrull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
Just finished installing it in BIOS mode, and sound works fine. Guess it's an EFI issue.

Terraphantm, if you still have BIOS mode installed would you list what you see in Device Manager under "Sound, video and game controllers" and list what drivers each entry uses and whether they start or not?

I don't want to bug Microsoft and Intel about fixing a driver that is fine.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Terraphantm, if you still have BIOS mode installed would you list what you see in Device Manager under "Sound, video and game controllers" and list what drivers each entry uses and whether they start or not?

I don't want to bug Microsoft and Intel about fixing a driver that is fine.

It was exactly the same as windows 7. The cirrus logic CS4206b. And the intel audio bus was installed just fine too

I've been messing with the PCI registers to see if I can get it to work. No luck so far.

kkrull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
It was exactly the same as windows 7. The cirrus logic CS4206b. And the intel audio bus was installed just fine too...

Sure but did you have three audio devices listed? If so, I assume the Intel one didn't start.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Sure but did you have three audio devices listed? If so, I assume the Intel one didn't start.

The intel device just controls an HDAudioBus that the real audio device sits on - think of it as a PCI Bridge of sorts. That's why 8086 1E20 shows up under the Cirrus 4206b when it does work. The intel controller has to start for the Cirrus to be detected.

Look at my attachment

Under Audio Devices, you see the nVidia and Cirrus controllers. Then under system devices, you see two "High Definition Audio Controllers" - one of them is an nVidia HD Audio bus, the other is an Intel. The Intel one refuses to start in EFI installs

Attachments

• Audio.png
    Audio.png
    112.9 KB · Views: 2,907
Last edited:

kkrull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
Under Audio Devices, you see the nVidia and Cirrus controllers. Then under system devices, you see two "High Definition Audio Controllers" - one of them is an nVidia HD Audio bus, the other is an Intel. The Intel one refuses to start in EFI installs

Thanks, that clarifies a lot. Is the Cirrus device using a Cirrus driver or the Microsoft hdaudbus driver?

Seems like the EFI\driver problem could still be on the Intel side though. I am inclined not to let Intel or Microsoft off the hook yet. If I had to place bets on blame it would be

odds \ vendor \ issue
50% Apple (likely an EFI implementation problem)
25% Microsoft (likely a UAA driver problem)
20% Intel (likely a chipset driver problem)
5% Cirrus (unlikely but possible audio driver problem)

Last edited:

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Thanks, that clarifies a lot. Is the Cirrus device using a Cirrus driver or the Microsoft hdaudbus driver?

Seems like the EFI\driver problem could still be on the Intel side though. I am inclined not to let Intel or Microsoft off the hook yet. If I had to place bets on blame it would be

odds \ vendor \ issue
50% Apple (likely an EFI implementation problem)
25% Microsoft (likely a UAA driver problem)
20% Intel (likely a chipset driver problem)
5% Cirrus (unlikely but possible audio driver problem)

Cirrus device is using a Cirrus driver. I suspect it would work fine in EFI mode, but since the HD Audio Bus can't be mounted, Windows doesn't even realize the Cirrus is there at all.

I think everyone shares a bit in the blame - but I suspect the root of the problem comes down to Intel. Since the issue appears on multiple brand motherboards, the faulty code probably comes down to early versions of the base EFI firmware that Intel developed. It appears it has been since fixed, but since Apple has not updated to EFI 2.x, the issue is probably there due to old code.

But then one has to consider that the issue only manifests in Windows - Linux can mount the audio devices just fine. So there may be something wrong with Microsoft's method of mounting EFI devices. OR they're simply enforcing the "rules" more strictly.

So... I think the root cause lies with Intel, but the fix is something Apple would have to implement.

ac1d

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2012
Cirrus device is using a Cirrus driver. I suspect it would work fine in EFI mode, but since the HD Audio Bus can't be mounted, Windows doesn't even realize the Cirrus is there at all.

I think everyone shares a bit in the blame - but I suspect the root of the problem comes down to Intel. Since the issue appears on multiple brand motherboards, the faulty code probably comes down to early versions of the base EFI firmware that Intel developed. It appears it has been since fixed, but since Apple has not updated to EFI 2.x, the issue is probably there due to old code.

But then one has to consider that the issue only manifests in Windows - Linux can mount the audio devices just fine. So there may be something wrong with Microsoft's method of mounting EFI devices. OR they're simply enforcing the "rules" more strictly.

So... I think the root cause lies with Intel, but the fix is something Apple would have to implement.

As you were saying, in Linux EFI the sound works just fine, so there must be a way to do something about it for Windows, even by scripting a lot in a startup.nsh script. I am very happy to have some basic hardware working in Linux and not in Windows :)

I'll try to understand what Linux is doing tonight, see if it can help.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
Are you guys using the Bootcamp drivers after install? I have an iMac, but it uses the same Audio drivers your using. I have to install the HD Audio controller and the Cirrus driver from the bootcamp package for audio to work. Note I do this in EFI mode and it works.

kkrull

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 19, 2006
Are you guys using the Bootcamp drivers after install? I have an iMac, but it uses the same Audio drivers your using. I have to install the HD Audio controller and the Cirrus driver from the bootcamp package for audio to work. Note I do this in EFI mode and it works.

That is what we are doing. On the retina MacBook Pro under EFI in Windows 8 RTM it appears that the Intel PCI bridge does not hand off to the Cirrus hardware.

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
As you were saying, in Linux EFI the sound works just fine, so there must be a way to do something about it for Windows, even by scripting a lot in a startup.nsh script. I am very happy to have some basic hardware working in Linux and not in Windows :)

I'll try to understand what Linux is doing tonight, see if it can help.

If you can figure something out that'd be great. I too think that perhaps some kin of startup script would do the trick... But the problem is figuring out what to script

----------

Yeah we are. As mentioned before it works fine in BIOS mode but not in EFI mode. Presumably if our technique works in one mode, it should have worked in the other mode if there weren't any quirks.

It may be an ivy bridge issue. I wonder if 2012 cMBP owners can get the intel HD audio bus to work. And if so, I'd be very curious to see where the difference lies

thomaskc

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
If you can figure something out that'd be great. I too think that perhaps some kin of startup script would do the trick... But the problem is figuring out what to script

----------

Yeah we are. As mentioned before it works fine in BIOS mode but not in EFI mode. Presumably if our technique works in one mode, it should have worked in the other mode if there weren't any quirks.

It may be an ivy bridge issue. I wonder if 2012 cMBP owners can get the intel HD audio bus to work. And if so, I'd be very curious to see where the difference lies

Out of curiosity, BIOS mode is essentially when bootcamp does too when it runs windows correct? (I may be totally off here but thats what ive undestood so far) but is it also possible to only install windows (no osx partition) in bios mode? I read somewhere you get (should get) 2 options when booting strait from a win-dvd ? sorry its a bit off topic so Thanks in advance

mark1234

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2011
Amsterdam, the Netherlands
Out of curiosity, BIOS mode is essentially when bootcamp does too when it runs windows correct? (I may be totally off here but thats what ive undestood so far) but is it also possible to only install windows (no osx partition) in bios mode? I read somewhere you get (should get) 2 options when booting strait from a win-dvd ? sorry its a bit off topic so Thanks in advance
When booting straight from a win-dvd, you get two options: one is bios mode install of Windows, the other is EFI install of Windows.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.