Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
A

AhmedFaisal

diamond3

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2005
I call BS on Armstrong's statement. With his holier than thou attitude, if he was truly innocent, he would have fought the charges. Ban his ass and strip his titles.

To be fare though, if he is indeed honest, how long do you keep fighting for a sport he is done with? How many trials, hearings, interviews, would you want to waste your time going through just to satisfy the appetite of the others trying to convict him of something that isn't there in the first place?

I'm still unsure what to believe. If they never caught anything wrong with the test results during the races while others were getting banned for problems, why now? If they have such obvious evidence to do something as drastic as they are doing now, where is it? How long before it's released? One thing is for certain, none of the sports know how to handle/test for PEDs.

It's unfortunately for everyone because he really popularized the Tour de France here in America and I don't see it ever being the same.

avro707

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
The sad truth about cycling is that it's rife with doping...Armstrong is the tip of a very big iceberg. I don't watch it now except at the Olympics where medalists are tested post event.

Cycling isn't rife with doping. Some of the professional riders might be doing that, but the millions of enthusiasts around the world, the so called weekend warriors aren't doping.

I'm certainly not - and it's outrageous to tar the entire sport because of the actions of a few. :rolleyes:

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
I call BS on Armstrong's statement. With his holier than thou attitude, if he was truly innocent, he would have fought the charges. Ban his ass and strip his titles.

How long does he have to fight it? He never tested positive once by any of the tests the USADA gave him.

Where is the PROOF that he actually used performance enhancers? Not speculative ******** or half assed claims, I want to see the proof of at least one failed test. Until that, I'm on his side.

Still waiting to hear the ICU's statement and whether they will even acknowledge this crap from the USADA.

from espn article said:
USADA maintains that Armstrong has used banned substances as far back as 1996, including the blood-booster EPO and steroids as well as blood transfusions -- all to boost his performance.

Where's the damn proof? What happened to innocent until proven guilty?

He should just go retire with his money..He had a long run.

He's already been retired. Now he's just working with his foundation, which according to his statement, has now raised over $500 MILLION dollars for cancer research. That's what really matters in this, not some witch hunt from an organization that has yet to provide a single shred of concrete evidence.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
The USADA do sound like an annoying bunch of idiots. If he was indeed doping surely something would've given him away by now after all these years. How can you convict someone when you have zero proof, where is the due process.

Wreaks of a witch hunt to me.

MacNut

macrumors Core
Jan 4, 2002
CT
How long does he have to fight it? He never tested positive once by any of the tests the USADA gave him.

Where is the PROOF that he actually used performance enhancers? Not speculative ******** or half assed claims, I want to see the proof of at least one failed test. Until that, I'm on his side.

Still waiting to hear the ICU's statement and whether they will even acknowledge this crap from the USADA.

Where's the damn proof? What happened to innocent until proven guilty?
Why did he throw in the towel and stop fighting the claims?

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
Why did he throw in the towel and stop fighting the claims?

from the statement on his website:
(http://lancearmstrong.com/news-events/lance-armstrongs-statement-of-august-23-2012)

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in winning my seven Tours since 1999. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a two-year federal criminal investigation followed by Travis Tygart's unconstitutional witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for our foundation and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense.

If I thought for one moment that by participating in USADA’s process, I could confront these allegations in a fair setting and – once and for all – put these charges to rest, I would jump at the chance. But I refuse to participate in a process that is so one-sided and unfair. Regardless of what Travis Tygart says, there is zero physical evidence to support his outlandish and heinous claims. The only physical evidence here is the hundreds of controls I have passed with flying colors. I made myself available around the clock and around the world. In-competition. Out of competition. Blood. Urine. Whatever they asked for I provided. What is the point of all this testing if, in the end, USADA will not stand by it?

From the beginning, however, this investigation has not been about learning the truth or cleaning up cycling, but about punishing me at all costs. I am a retired cyclist, yet USADA has lodged charges over 17 years old despite its own 8-year limitation. As respected organizations such as UCI and USA Cycling have made clear, USADA lacks jurisdiction even to bring these charges. The international bodies governing cycling have ordered USADA to stop, have given notice that no one should participate in USADA’s improper proceedings, and have made it clear the pronouncements by USADA that it has banned people for life or stripped them of their accomplishments are made without authority. And as many others, including USADA’s own arbitrators, have found, there is nothing even remotely fair about its process.

zioxide

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2006
So was his success a miracle that he could go from his death bed to win 7 times?

A miracle of modern medicine and a ton of hard work? Or are we just now making the assumption that every top athlete in every sport is probably using steroids?

We have this whole testing process in place for a reason. He passed. EVERY time. Until there is something that proves otherwise, this is complete bull ****.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
I haven't followed the investigations, but surely by now they should be required to provide evidence of his alleged doping or drop it. I'm not saying he's innocent, but so far there's no evidence showing otherwise. He's been victimised for years. Is it not possible that he's just a spectacular cyclist?

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
Cycling isn't rife with doping. Some of the professional riders might be doing that, but the millions of enthusiasts around the world, the so called weekend warriors aren't doping.

I'm certainly not - and it's outrageous to tar the entire sport because of the actions of a few. :rolleyes:
I think it's safe to assume that Macman45 was, in a thread about pro cycling, only referring to pro cycling and was not referring to everyone in the world that cycles.

charlieegan3

macrumors 68020
Feb 16, 2012
U.K
I think it's safe to assume that Macman45 was, in a thread about pro cycling, only referring to pro cycling and was not referring to everyone in the world that cycles.

Yeah I think you might be right there:D

Even if he does loose his titles it doesn't stop him from being an amazing cyclist and an inspirational figure.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago

No, I didn't mean folks like you...:) It's the pro's and the huge amounts of money on offer from Sky etc. Not an excuse, but it is part of the cause...I used to mountain bike prior to my illness and I loved it...No doping either..:)

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
I think it's quite clear that the lost non-doped tour win happened several decades ago as their is only so much extreme training and hitting a genetic jackpot can do for you vs. the extremity of the modern tour.

If it was just a 1 or 2 day event one could actually believe that athletes could drive those stages at such speed, but over weeks the idea is just ridiciouls.....

Some were stupid enough to dope in ways that could detected with methods of their days, others could only be detected years after with advancing tech while some might have been smart/lucky enough to escape detection at all.

Seeing an honest cyclist competing for the tour title is just as likely as seeing a real fight in pro wrestling :p

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Lance Armstrong drops doping fight

Good move for him. Although it looks like he's admitting to doping, it was better than having all the evidence shown in court and having new witnesses like teammates repeatedly coming forward testifying against him over a long drawn out process. He manages to suppress the evidence and avoid criminal prosecution.

He can leave the public eye for a short while until it dies down, then begin a publicity fight to salvage his image and brand.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/blog/2012/aug/24/how-lance-armstrong-strongarmed-cycling

What a way to end a career & wonder if Nike will drop his Livestrong range.

Edit: thanks Balamw for merging

Last edited:

twietee

macrumors 603
Jan 24, 2012
One should add that he's about to lose all his titles (Tour de France at least). And about time, I've to add. Didn't like him, and don't like all the others. They pretty much ****** up these sports for me (yes, I didn't watch any olympic games in years, too) and for all the other athletes doing a fair job.

boss.king

macrumors 603
Apr 8, 2009
One should add that he's about to lose all his titles (Tour de France at least).

As far as I understand, the Tour de France board are not in agreement with the USADA (the ones going after him). It doesn't mean he will lose his titles or that he is admitting to doping. It means that after fighting it for years, and still not being conclusively proved to have doped, he is sick of fighting it.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
As far as I understand, the Tour de France board are not in agreement with the USADA (the ones going after him). It doesn't mean he will lose his titles or that he is admitting to doping. It means that after fighting it for years, and still not being conclusively proved to have doped, he is sick of fighting it.

He was only officially charged two months ago. He hadn't even begun to fight the charges.

The evidence against him had been built up over years. That evidence included blood tests and a range of witnesses that would testify to seeing him dope, including old teammates.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.